Paul Bearer

Jamaican Jamming

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Crossposting.

Alvin "Seeco" Patterson (wiki) of Bob Marley and the Wailersdead at 90.

alvin-seeco-patterson-passed-a.jpg.498ea9fea54e7d5e81923ba5b5b1f19f.jpg

Shame, picked him for my theme team for a couple of years, didn't qualify for this year. Could have stuck him on my main team, but, meh.

Absolute legend, if he doesn't Qobit, I'll be astonished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Robbie Shakespeare, bassist of Sly and Robbiedead aged 68. 

Obviously huge collaborators with many acts and often uncredited, but artists in their own right.

Best known probably in the UK for their collaboration with Simply Red on Night Nurse, but I can take Robbie off my 1987 list for this little number:

• Like 1

Garth Dennis, founder member of Black Uhuru, dead aged 72.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mikey 'Mao' Chung, who played with Sly & Robbie & Black Uhuru, as well as Peter Tosh and a plethora of other notable names, has died aged 71.

• Like 2

Veteran Rastafarian reggae singer, Denroy Morgan, has died. His son, Mojo, confirmed to The Gleaner that the music industry giant passed away on Thursday. He was 76.

Morgan is survived by his widow Hyacinth Morgan, his 30 children, 104 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.

The father of Grammy award-winning sibling group Morgan Heritage, as well as LMS, Denroy Morgan released his Billboard chart-topping hit I’ll Do Anything For You and album of the same name in 1981. He signed a deal with RCA in 1984, and his bio states that Denroy Morgan was the first Jamaican recording artist to be signed to a major record label.

SC

The Mighty Diamonds, roots reggae trio formed over 50 years ago, lose two members in 4 days. 'Tabby' Shaw murdered in a drive-by shooting in Kingston followed by today's news that 'Bunny' Simpson died after a long battle with diabetes. Probably most famous for penning 'Pass the Kouchie', later recorded by Musical Youth as 'Pass the Dutchie' to eliminate the drug reference. 

• Like 2

Angus Gaye, aka Drummie Zeb, founding member and constant of British reggae act Aswad, being reported dead on the Tweetnest. On iPad, so if someone can link, thanks.

Hit the top spot in the UK with Don’t Turn Around in 1988.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Angus Gaye, aka Drummie Zeb, founding member and constant of British reggae act Aswad, being reported dead on the Tweetnest. On iPad, so if someone can link, thanks.

Hit the top spot in the UK with Don’t Turn Around in 1988.

Drummie Zeb

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Perhaps said:

Tyrone Downie dead.

Not a good couple of years for the Wailers. That's Tyrone Downie's keys on this classic:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Not a good couple of years for the Wailers. That's Tyrone Downie's keys on this classic:

And about to get worse. I can’t see Aston Barrett surviving 2023.

19 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

And about to get worse. I can’t see Aston Barrett surviving 2023.

It's the QO I'm wondering about. Two years ago I'd have said a cert, but two months for Seeco Patterson and nothing for Natty Wailer...

Downie should QO given he was relatively young and on some huge hits, but who knows?

• Like 1

Veteran reggae artist Freddie McGregor out of a coma and  recuperating after surgery following a stroke in the US. Was set to link up with UB40 for December tour for which he's now obviously a no go. 

• Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, jcc said:

Veteran reggae artist Freddie McGregor out of a coma and  recuperating after surgery following a stroke in the US. Was set to link up with UB40 for December tour for which he's now obviously a no go. 

12th lock for my 1987 TOTP Theme team, certified.

• Like 1

Reports of the death of reggae exponent Junior English, who came to make it big in the UK from Jamaica, succeeding in a minor way by topping the Reggae Chart in 1978 with In Loving You: 

• Like 2

Jah Shaka, of the Jah Shaka Sound System and a key figure in British dub history, dead. Featured in "black Quadrophenia" Babylon.

• Like 3