BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Which is almost certainly why those names are not given to Royal babies.

Never considered that, good thinking. Thought it had more to do with Malcolm not being a very regnal name. :lol:

11 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Unless you're in Scotland in which case she's Queen Elizabeth the first. 

I’m from the USA and we weren’t ruled by Elizabeth Tudor either so we refer to QE2 simply as Queen what’s her face the first. Or just plain Queen what’s here face as we Americans love simplifying everything.
ALso if I could amend my previous statement I also hope she and the Duke both live long enough to bury their grandson Harry too.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 28/10/2020 at 13:54, Toast said:

Surely just "Queen Elizabeth"?  There's no need for a number until there's a second.  We say "Queen Anne" and "Queen Victoria", never Anne I or Victoria I.

It's really up to the monarch in question. E.g. the current Pope chose to be called "Francis" without a number, while back in 1978 John Paul I included his number.

16 hours ago, Nurse Rached said:

I’m from the USA and we weren’t ruled by Elizabeth Tudor either so we refer to QE2 simply as Queen what’s her face the first. Or just plain Queen what’s here face as we Americans love simplifying everything.
ALso if I could amend my previous statement I also hope she and the Duke both live long enough to bury their grandson Harry too.

Virginia was named after her, wasn't it? So it would appear she was the de facto ruler of some of the earliest colonies, towards the end of her reign in the late 16th century.

And I thought Americans usually refer to her as 'Queen Elizabeth?' As I believe they also do in Ireland. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Virginia was named after her, wasn't it? So it would appear she was the de facto ruler of some of the earliest colonies, towards the end of her reign in the late 16th century.

And I thought Americans usually refer to her as 'Queen Elizabeth?' As I believe they also do in Ireland. 

Cerberus you are correct, most Americans call her Queen Elizabeth, i don’t even think the US media refers to her a Queen Elizabeth ll 

however Virginia was Settled in1607, QE1 died in 1603

• Like 1

On 29/10/2020 at 00:08, Nurse Rached said:

I never realised the Queen was named after a boat

29 minutes ago, Jasper de Havilland said:

Strange article. 

"(lockdown) has given Prince Philip the opportunity to prove that romance isn't dead, by making a sweet gesture to the Queen ahead of their wedding anniversary."

But it doesn't say what the sweet gesture was.  It can't be the move to Windsor Castle, because there will be practical reasons for that, like last time.

The Queen looks awfully like my late mum in that photo, even though she's 30 years older than Mum ever was.

14 hours ago, Toast said:

Strange article. 

"(lockdown) has given Prince Philip the opportunity to prove that romance isn't dead, by making a sweet gesture to the Queen ahead of their wedding anniversary."

But it doesn't say what the sweet gesture was.

Maybe Prince Philip got a Prince Albert? 

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Maybe Prince Philip got a Prince Albert

Crystal Palace?

Do you think the Queen will surpass Prince Philip's age when he dies?

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

Yes

In an unrelated fact in 11 days it will be their 73rd wedding anniversary. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Nope

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Putin said:

yes, and she's gonna be alive until the end of the universe

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Putin said:

A lot will come down to how she handles his death. 73 years together is an extraordinarily long time. It wouldn't be uncommon for her to go downhill considerably after he dies. Equally, she's always been quite a stoic figure, handled her parents' and sister's deaths with remarkable composure (at least in public), and his death won't be a huge shock given his advanced years. She may just continue just as before (ish). I guess the other question is whether after he dies she retires from public life and abdicates. Anyway, here and now, I'd expect her to reach an older age than Philiip, assuming he dies in the next couple of years.

What's probably already crushing them is everyone from their generation dying off from around them. Elizabeth quoted Vera Lynn when the coronavirus started spreading, probably in some way also attempting to show that there are still other notable people alive from the greatest generation. But Vera Lynn died a few months after that and it's just a fact that her and Phil's time to go is just getting closer and closer.

Also Anne and Charles (+ Camilla) are in their 70s now. I'm again repeating this but I don't think these four others will live longer than duke gaffem

On 28/10/2020 at 12:47, Paul Bearer said:

Unless you're in Scotland in which case she's Queen Elizabeth the first. 

Actually she is Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom.

There has been no other Queen Elizabeth since the state's formation in 1707 and as there is no such office as Queen/King of England (or indeed Scotland) she has been using the wrong title all of these years...

William should be William II when he is King for the same reason...unless there is a Queen Krankie by then.

• Like 1

Did anyone notice the Queen seemed really gloomy yesterday at the Remembrance service, more so than usual I thought. Could it be to do with the Dukes health I wonder? 

10 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Did anyone notice the Queen seemed really gloomy yesterday at the Remembrance service, more so than usual I thought. Could it be to do with the Dukes health I wonder? 

Everybody was fucking gloomy before the vaccine news came out.

Why everyone is thinking he could be hit number 17th ? Have I missed something ? 

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Why everyone is thinking he could be hit number 17th ? Have I missed something ? 

Because he's Philip.

On his health: I haven't heard anything else except someone said he's slowly getting blinder and deafer but that's just normal at 99

• Like 1