BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

40 minutes ago, msc said:

Mind the long running tradition of either the Monarch or their spouse outliving one of their own kids too. I can't mind if it goes all the way to Elizabeth I (who didn't have any) but it goes close enough...

Since Libby I, the only ones to miss this are William III and Edward VIII (nae weans) and George I who died young.

George I was 67 when he died...in 1727. So not really all that young.

William III had no children and neither did his wife Mary II who was unable to have children following a miscarriage. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Windsor said:

William III had no children and neither did his wife Mary II who was unable to have children following a miscarriage. 

Compared to George III...

(OK. OK, I was glancing quickly and gave him Anne's age instead...)

Just now, msc said:

Compared to George III...

(OK. OK, I was glancing quickly and gave him Anne's age instead...)

George III does somewhat prove your point in that he succeeded his grandfather...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Windsor said:

Remember watching a Lucy Worsley programme on William & Mary and that clearly stated that Mary never fell pregnant so I don't think there was a miscarriage. The general consensus was that William was not very successful in the bedroom department and he was probably gay. 

One random fact, if Mary had survived William A Clockwork Orange would have had different theme music. 

• Like 2

When I woke up and saw this topic had had seven replies since last night I thought DOE = DOA

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Remember watching a Lucy Worsley programme on William & Mary and that clearly stated that Mary never fell pregnant so I don't think there was a miscarriage. The general consensus was that William was not very successful in the bedroom department and he was probably gay. 

Even the gay kings knew they had to have children. Its kind of in the job description, although granted if he was that keen he could have remarried after Mary's death or taken mistresses during her lifetime. Queen Anne had 17 kids even though suggestion was she wasn't too keen on the cock.

There are certainly rumours that William III was gay but not really any proof. 

4 minutes ago, Windsor said:

There are certainly rumours that William III was gay but not really any poof.

FTFY

• Haha 2

If its in a Lucy Worsley show its probably wrong. ;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, msc said:

Mind the long running tradition of either the Monarch or their spouse outliving one of their own kids too. I can't mind if it goes all the way to Elizabeth I (who didn't have any) but it goes close enough... 

Different place, more extreme case: Louis XIV outlived both his eldest son and eldest grandson, and was succeeded by his great-grandson Louis XV (don't know of any other such case). He in turn outlived his son at least, Louises XVI and XVIII both were his grandsons. Could have racked it up to XXI if only they had died in order.

8 hours ago, Windsor said:

Even the gay kings knew they had to have children. Its kind of in the job description, although granted if he was that keen he could have remarried after Mary's death or taken mistresses during her lifetime. Queen Anne had 17 kids even though suggestion was she wasn't too keen on the cock.

There are certainly rumours that William III was gay but not really any proof. 

William II never bothered.

4 hours ago, Handrejka said:

William II never bothered.

Nor Richard the Lionheart but Edward II did.

12 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Richard Lionheart did have an illegitimate son.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, runebomme said:

was he a bastard

Well, obviously.  :facepalm:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Toast said:

Well, obviously.  :facepalm:

I thought he was only a bit of a rascal

23 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

And James I 

• Like 1

Carol service at Windsor photo out. Some note able absences, including the Greek himself. Too ill to get his derriere down to thr family photo shoot a couple times a year? 

image.png.69fc7ab5d109f0aaa95296bf6a633cf8.png

He’s publicly retired. Picks and chooses which ones he goes to now. Normally limits them to things like weddings and photo calls of himself and the Queen.

He’s probably sat up on the couch watching telly and necking a bottle of the hard stuff. I can picture him saying “Bah carols, no bloody thanks!”

Providing that he makes it that far, I think we’ll see some of him during his 100th birthday celebrations in 6 months.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

He’s publicly retired. Picks and chooses which ones he goes to now. Normally limits them to things like weddings and photo calls of himself and the Queen.

He’s probably sat up on the couch watching telly and necking a bottle of the hard stuff. I can picture him saying “Bah carols, no bloody thanks!”

Providing that he makes it that far, I think we’ll see some of him during his 100th birthday celebrations in 6 months.

tbh can you blame him? That'd be my choice of the two options as well!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, msc said:

tbh can you blame him? That'd be my choice of the two options as well!

In normal circumstances maybe, but he won't have seen most of those people for months so you think if he was well enough he'd make the effort to get down to talk in person. 

There following social distancing according to press reports so they won't have gone in. 

This feels like a gigantic tell to me. I expect him to make it past Christmas but go last week of December/January the way the extremely old do. Charles is visiting a crimbo so that'll see him to then. 

8 minutes ago, Where's the Greek? said:

In normal circumstances maybe, but he won't have seen most of those people for months so you think if he was well enough he'd make the effort to get down to talk in person. 

There following social distancing according to press reports so they won't have gone in. 

This feels like a gigantic tell to me. I expect him to make it past Christmas but go last week of December/January the way the extremely old do. Charles is visiting a crimbo so that'll see him to then. 

Oh I think he'll be a goner next year (perhaps as one of those people who hang on for the 100th then die almost immediately afterwards), Ulitzer's quip just tickled me. The Queen herself would probably rather have a whisky and a comfy chair instead of listening to Holy Redeemer yet again...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Oh I think he'll be a goner next year (perhaps as one of those people who hang on for the 100th then die almost immediately afterwards), Ulitzer's quip just tickled me. The Queen herself would probably rather have a whisky and a comfy chair instead of listening to Holy Redeemer yet again...

Apparently she was moaning to the vicar they weren't singing them just a band... Boring old bat. 

As I said I reckon he's a classic post Christmas. Part of me does wonder if he's already dead though.... 

14 minutes ago, Where's the Greek? said:

Apparently she was moaning to the vicar they weren't singing them just a band... Boring old bat. 

As I said I reckon he's a classic post Christmas. Part of me does wonder if he's already dead though.... 

Oh you are mad!

Welcome to the forum btw. Always great to have conspiracy theorists pop by. Makes me feel relatively sane by comparison.