BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

The Royal Mint is hedging its bets with regard to Philip I see: big royal birthdays get marked with a commemorative £5 coin but although they've produced one for the Queen's 95th there's nothing for his 100th. Clearly somebody reckons that the odds on the Duchess of Edinburgh making it to April are considerably better than those of the Duke hanging on 'til June. 

I wouldn't read too much into that. His health has been touch and go for years. He was at death's door in February 2020 and yet 12 months later is still here.

The Mint will be applying caution. It would be embarrassing to shoot too soon and announce a commemorative coin, only for the occasion of the commemoration not to take place owing to his death. If he's still with us by the end of April expect to hear some more noise about his 100th.

Which reminds me, one of the other users owes me a pint if he reaches his 100th. That bet was made almost 2.5 years ago. Sadly I think the user I made the bet with was Deathray. Sod's law. Oh wells.

Applying caution certainly, and understandably - but all the year's commemoratives appear in the proof sets produced and sold from the start of the year. I used to collect them when they were a bit more affordable. They could produce a coin later of course, but it can't very well be added to the proof set now. 

The 2021 United Kingdom Proof Coin Set | The Royal Mint

52 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I wouldn't read too much into that. His health has been touch and go for years. He was at death's door in February 2020 and yet 12 months later is still here.

The Mint will be applying caution. It would be embarrassing to shoot too soon and announce a commemorative coin, only for the occasion of the commemoration not to take place owing to his death. If he's still with us by the end of April expect to hear some more noise about his 100th.

Which reminds me, one of the other users owes me a pint if he reaches his 100th. That bet was made almost 2.5 years ago. Sadly I think the user I made the bet with was Deathray. Sod's law. Oh wells.

You just need to find a user with less than 4 posts and no profile picture.

• Haha 1

You clearly missed my early post elsewhere declaring the Royal Mint to be a shower of robbing bastards.

Long gone are the days where they produce an actual annual set. Now they produce what they call the ‘annual set’ but then drip, drip, drip more additional coins through the year to bleed collectors dry. 

The Philip coins will have been designed and are probably already being struck. But that’ll be their money spinner for June...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Windsor said:

You clearly missed my early post elsewhere declaring the Royal Mint to be a shower of robbing bastards.

Long gone are the days where they produce an actual annual set. Now they produce what they call the ‘annual set’ but then drip, drip, drip more additional coins through the year to bleed collectors dry.

The Philip coins will have been designed and are probably already being struck. But that’ll be their money spinner for June...

Then there was the scandal of the alphabet series of 10p coins.  26 different coins each bearing a letter of the alphabet, supposedly to go into circulation. 

Of course all the kids wanted to collect them, but hardly any made it into circulation as they didn't strike enough to match the interest, and most were skimmed off by the bagful at source by post office employees and flogged on Ebay.

A poor denomination to choose for a series of 26 anyway, as you don't tend to get 10p coins in change that often. 

So if you really wanted them you had to buy the set.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Toast said:

Then there was the scandal of the alphabet series of 10p coins.  26 different coins each bearing a letter of the alphabet, supposedly to go into circulation. 

Of course all the kids wanted to collect them, but hardly any made it into circulation as they didn't strike enough to match the interest, and most were skimmed off by the bagful at source by post office employees and flogged on Ebay.

A poor denomination to choose for a series of 26 anyway, as you don't tend to get 10p coins in change that often. 

So if you really wanted them you had to buy the set.

I'm a casual coin collector, started at uni when I ended up with a pile of £1 coins and noticed all the different designs. I've never bought off eBay, only ever collect what comes in my change (and ones passed on by family). Seen very few over the last five or so years - of any kind, not just the new or smaller releases. Never seen a alphabet 10p in my change. Sad really, another casual past time that's been hijacked to make people a few quid. Not that I've paid for very much in the past year with coins anyway.

59 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I'm a casual coin collector, started at uni when I ended up with a pile of £1 coins and noticed all the different designs. I've never bought off eBay, only ever collect what comes in my change (and ones passed on by family). Seen very few over the last five or so years - of any kind, not just the new or smaller releases. Never seen a alphabet 10p in my change. Sad really, another casual past time that's been hijacked to make people a few quid. Not that I've paid for very much in the past year with coins anyway.

If you ever check the comments on the Royal Mint facebook page you will see the main gripe of collectors is that these days they actually mint coins that will never be circulated. The thing that bugs me is you often get some really good designs and they stick them on the gold and platinum coins which nobody in their right mind can actually afford. And then they stick shite designs on the base metal to silver strikes. 

• Like 3

Yes, I've been in the habit of keeping the commemorative £2 and 50p coins that pop up in my change.  They mount up, so there's a little nest egg there should I fall on harder times.

There's still a few I haven't found - not counting the absolute deluge of child-orientated 50p coins over the last 2 or 3 years.  One Peter Rabbit coin was fine, but they've taken the piss now. 

I do miss examining my change.  It was a harmless little bit of excitement seeing if the 50p in your change was a Kew Gardens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Never seen a alphabet 10p in my change.

Nor I.  The only one I've ever clapped eyes on was a Z coin which the lady in the village shop showed me when I asked if they'd seen any.

Not even found any when emptying the charity tins - although strangely there was once one of the original large 50p coins with the nine linked hands.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Toast said:

I do miss examining my change.  It was a harmless little bit of excitement seeing if the 50p in your change was a Kew Gardens.

I actually have a Kew Gardens 50p, found in circulation, which I came across after the newspaper reports started circulating suggesting it was worth £20 due to its rarity. Most exciting find ever, even besting the couple of random big 50ps that turn up that aren't even legal tender anymore. :lol:

30 minutes ago, Toast said:

Nor I.  The only one I've ever clapped eyes on was a Z coin which the lady in the village shop showed me when I asked if they'd seen any.

Not even found any when emptying the charity tins - although strangely there was once one of the original large 50p coins with the nine linked hands.

My mum works in a primary school and usually ends up counting the change after things like bake sales. She always saves anything interesting to see if I'm interested but not a lot has turned up recently.

• Shocked 1

Curious, the second coin-related topic in a row. Anyway, here's my two euro-cents: Over here, the only denomination with commemorative coins entering circulation are 2€. That's a value that's more likely to stay in circulation quite a while. Of course smaller countries' sets are smaller, too, and surface more rarely, e.g. German coins on the other hand are extremely widespread. There's an ongoing Bundesländer series with one different state (represented by some well-known monument) minted each year. Even the old ones (they started with Schleswig Holstein in 2005 and are set to end next year with Thuringia) still turn up in change sometimes, and I'm always excited to catch the new ones in the wild, usually around this time of the year (haven't got Saxony-Anhalt yet, though!).

• Like 2

On 09/02/2021 at 10:45, frleon said:

Curious, the second coin-related topic in a row.

Something about monarchy always brings it round to coins and money. :lol:

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Something about monarchy always brings it round to coins and money. :lol:

And Mugs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Father Brown said:

I have a couple of £1 notes!

With Philips face on them?

Otherwise why boast about it in here?

7 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

With Philips face on them?

Otherwise why boast about it in here?

You could try reading the whole thread? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glomfan said:

So who do you think will die first? Him or her?

Well considering one of them is picked in the no.1 position on the official Deathlist suggest there may be a broad consensus

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Glomfan said:

OK

That is, by far, the best post this forum has ever had.

• Haha 5

Another tosser. Fuck sake.