BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

24 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Yep. If he dies after a certain time of the evening there won't be an announcement until 8am the following morning IIRC. That being said there will be undoubtedly be whispers about it before then given the technological age we now live in   

That's also true. If anybody wants to know more about the protocols for a royal death, I recommend searching 'Operation London Bridge'. This is the protocol for Queen Liz, but a lot of it will also be applicable to Prince Philip (Operation Forth Bridge). 

13 minutes ago, GEMINEYE said:

The last major Royal deaths - the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and Diana - all occurred on a weekend. Will Philip follow suit?

What day of the week did Princess  Alice die in 2004? The last  surviving member of the royal family to witness the events behind the abdication crisis up close.

5 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

What day of the week did Princess  Alice die in 2004? The last  surviving member of the royal family to witness the events behind the abdication crisis up close.

Aye its in the back of the memory...:lol:

(Luckily Google is our friend - died Friday night, announced by the BBC on the Saturday morning!)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ECG said:

I was just about to say that's a bit strange, as mine is still it's regular navy blue.

On the topic of BBC newsreaders, IIRC, the protocol is no longer that they need to wear black, provided what they are wearing is relatively sombre. I believe they also have black ties for the males kept under the desk, so the changeover wouldn't take long.

EDIT: Another thought. Any royal death announcement would be embargoed to ensure all commonwealth leaders have been contacted. There's a good chance the news organisations will know about a royal passing for a while before it's released to the public. As such, the news channels would probably get a senior presenter ready to go on air with all black clothing.

After the Queen Mum fiasco the BBC will have everyone in full mourning clothes.

]

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

]

Simon McCoy: "Hold my beer...".

p06p1331.jpg

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

This thread is currently 91 pages long. So Philip's thread is now two pages longer than Lizzie's. Maybe that's the whole purpose behind these hospitalizations?

Anyway, in terms of "longest single person thread", Donald Trump is running ahead comfortably now. Now, I guess either Philip or Elizabeth might shortly surpass Trump's thread in the aftermath of their death, but Trump might well retake the lead with his inevitable demise.

The Queen will have a good few years after Phil snuffs it to re-establish a lead, that's even before the 5+ pages that'll get added when she goes.

1 hour ago, ECG said:

That's also true. If anybody wants to know more about the protocols for a royal death, I recommend searching 'Operation London Bridge'. This is the protocol for Queen Liz, but a lot of it will also be applicable to Prince Philip (Operation Forth Bridge)

I'm not sure how true that is. The Operation London Bridge details are fascinating and quite eerie, but when Philip goes he won't get half those things (days of mourning on TV, etc.) He probably won't lie in state and is, unsurprisingly, not keen on a big funeral. Doubt the Queen will want to make a big song and dance about it either: she'll mourn in private. This puff piece from Marie Clare was the first link on Google when I had a look for details, but contains a decent overview of how his death will play out.

I still think we're premature anyway.

I think this is a rehearsal. Philip will be in and out of hospital look for the third or fourth time around September

8 hours ago, Windsor said:

Simon McCoy: "Hold my beer...".

p06p1331.jpg

Lol love Simon McCoy but they couldn't trust him to keep to script!

If they do get all of them in (and dotted around London and the UK for reaction) I wonder who will announce it? Huw? Jane? Nicholas Witchell will be there somewhere reeling off his lack of info and we all know that he is the Royals favourite!

And all the stations have other people, commentators/biographers/friends/celebrities on retainer to comment. Just wondering who will be the faces that monopolise our TV screens all day and night for at least a week.

Might finally be something else on TV other than the 'rona!

9 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

]

Poor old Peter Sissons getting attacked by the tabloids for wearing a dark burgundy tie. It was hardly as if he wore  a bright pink one ffs

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, deathisallaround said:

Lol love Simon McCoy but they couldn't trust him to keep to script!

If they do get all of them in (and dotted around London and the UK for reaction) I wonder who will announce it? Huw? Jane? Nicholas Witchell will be there somewhere reeling off his lack of info and we all know that he is the Royals favourite!

And all the stations have other people, commentators/biographers/friends/celebrities on retainer to comment. Just wondering who will be the faces that monopolise our TV screens all day and night for at least a week.

Might finally be something else on TV other than the 'rona!

George Alagiah would be appropriate. To announce  his death.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I'm not sure how true that is. The Operation London Bridge details are fascinating and quite eerie, but when Philip goes he won't get half those things (days of mourning on TV, etc.)

I probably should have been a bit clearer. I meant that a lot of the initial processes and coverage would follow a similar protocol to Operation London Bridge. I do agree with you though that beyond the first hours, it will be different for Philip.

• Like 1

Philip's now getting visitors:

• Like 1

Just now, Deathtreat23 said:

This doesn't sound good as we had the same thing with Captain Sir Tom Moore earlier in the month! 

Given that private hospitals could have different rules about COVID-19 visitation, I don't think we can take as much from it. However, I won't deny that it doesn't sound good.

1 minute ago, ECG said:

Given that private hospitals could have different rules about COVID-19 visitation, I don't think we can take as much from it. However, I won't deny that it doesn't sound good.

Apparently they don't but who knows.

1 minute ago, ECG said:

Apparently you are allowed visits if it's end of life so this news must surely be setting off alarms bells! (or in our case on stand by for hit number 5).

1 minute ago, Deathtreat23 said:

Apparently you are allowed visits if it's end of life so this news must surely be setting off alarms bells! (or in our case on stand by for hit number 5).

We should expect his other three kids and her Majesty going then.

Hope he pulls through tbh, I would like him to hit 100.

Maybe he did have corona and they're trying their best not to discourage the public? Just my inner conspiracy theorist talking.

Sounds like he’s probably fucked.

Daily Mail best start drafting tomorrow’s front page which blames Philip’s death on Meghan somehow.

• Haha 1