BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

8 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I don't think so...? If we're talking Andy then it's nothing to do with him. It looks like what will happen is the Dukedom of Edinburgh will pass to Philip's eldest son, Charles, then when Charles becomes King, the title is the King's to hand to whoever he likes. So Edward would "inherit" it but it would be a new creation. Thing is, given it's a decent chance there'll be at least 3-5 years before Charles gets the throne, I wonder if there's another way to expedite the process, such as the Queen withdrawing the title from Charles and giving it to Edward?

Titlewise Duke of York would be on a par with Duke of Edinburgh I'd have thought. So all certain issues aside it probably wouldn't be any sort of a significant upgrade in title for Andy anyway

18 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Titlewise Duke of York would be on a par with Duke of Edinburgh I'd have thought. So all certain issues aside it probably wouldn't be any sort of a significant upgrade in title for Andy anyway

He's not entitled to any more titles when his father goes,

As suggested when Philip goes his tiles will be inherited by Charles but never used. Charles becomes King, all his titles merge with the Crown. They can then be dished out as appropriate. 

Prince Edward is said to be in line for the Duke of Edinburgh title, as evidenced by his interest in the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme.

IIRC  Charlotte would technically  be in line to become Princess Royal when Anne snuffs it but it's not a right. Would be down to her Dad when he takes the throne

4 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

IIRC  Charlotte would technically  be in line to become Princess Royal when Anne snuffs it but it's not a right. Would be down to her Dad when he takes the throne

I think the current Princess Royal would also need to be dead. The title is for life and doesn't cancel when their parent dies.

38 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I don't think so...? If we're talking Andy then it's nothing to do with him. It looks like what will happen is the Dukedom of Edinburgh will pass to Philip's eldest son, Charles, then when Charles becomes King, the title is the King's to hand to whoever he likes. So Edward would "inherit" it but it would be a new creation. Thing is, given it's a decent chance there'll be at least 3-5 years before Charles gets the throne, I wonder if there's another way to expedite the process, such as the Queen withdrawing the title from Charles and giving it to Edward?

Yes, I was wondering if the Queen might do something.  But on reflection, if as is likely Philip dies before her,  she'd probably prefer to leave it for Charles to deal with.

3 minutes ago, Windsor said:

I think the current Princess Royal would also need to be dead. The title is for life and doesn't cancel when their parent dies.

Yep. I mentioned that in the original post :)

4 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Yep. I mentioned that in the original post :)

I think you mentioned it in the original post.

Re the debate above - the title of Nonce of Edinburgh is currently vacant since the death of former Bay City Rollers manager Tam Paton, just sayin' 

Prince-Andrew-1400223.jpg?r=161377026382

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yes, I was wondering if the Queen might do something.  But on reflection, if as is likely Philip dies before her,  she'd probably prefer to leave it for Charles to deal with.

Perhaps, but given it was always the plan I think the Queen would quite like to pass the title on to Edward in Phil's memory before she goes, and also make sure her baby boy is at the same level as her others before she goes. Still, let's give the D of E a chance to pop off first eh? ;)

Oh, and for the record, following today's announcement I still suspect he'll get out this time, but it's undoubtedly a sign that the end is not that far away now.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Oh, and for the record, following today's announcement I still suspect he'll get out this time, but it's undoubtedly a sign that the end is not that far away now.

The fact that he is 99 going on 100 should've possibly given you a clue to that...

28 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Re the debate above - the title of Nonce of Edinburgh is currently vacant since the death of former Bay City Rollers manager Tam Paton, just sayin' 

Prince-Andrew-1400223.jpg?r=161377026382

May have posted this before in some thread, don't care, there's room for a little more levity in 20 pages of conjecture.

Uncle Nonce.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Windsor said:

The fact that he is 99 going on 100 should've possibly given you a clue to that...

Suppose that depends on your definition of "not far away now". A year or two ago, 103-105 wasn't impossible, quite a while when you're in your late 90s. Now, 100 looks the high watermark. But bravo on the pedantry. :clap:

1 minute ago, YouOnlyDieOnce said:

This old coot is becoming a champion coffin dodger. Will we reach 200 pages before he goes?

Based on 20 pages filled for one visitor during a hospital stint he’d only need another 4 visitors to get to 200 pages!

1 hour ago, Dead Wait said:

Based on 20 pages filled for one visitor during a hospital stint he’d only need another 4 visitors to get to 200 pages!

Aw, now we're talking - genuine tension injected into a predictable thread. 

Seriously, haven't a fuckin' clue on that 200 page nail-biter whilst he still has a heartbeat. I say he WILL make that (and it'll be omitted from the broadsheet obits :unsure:)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Any news?

I just came here after having the same thought. :lol:

I've not heard of any more news, and it doesn't look like there's been any other visitors, so... who knows.

• Like 1

I heard there's been an interview with Prince Edward or something.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arghton said:

I heard there's been an interview with Prince Edward or something.

I'd forgotten about that. TBF, there wasn't much too it. Pretty much all he said was that Philip was "a lot better". Still keeping somewhat quiet about how he's doing (which is fair enough).

There is a 10pm Embargo tonight but it's not Philip related as it's been said by a BBC journalist to be not be bad news.

If it's the one I think it is it's just a dull sport interview.

3 minutes ago, deathisallaround said:

Why is there an embargo on it?

Doubt it as when does sport news make most of the front pages.

He has admitted in his last breath that he loved Diana, coveted her, and had to kill her because if he could not have her then no other man could. 

• Haha 2