BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

Can he just die already so we can finish up this thread. Every time I see a +10 increase in posts, I'd expect he died.

5 minutes ago, Genfærd said:

Can he just die already so we can finish up this thread. Every time I see a +10 increase in posts, I'd expect he died.

Wait until you see the red 'dead' tag next to his name.  You'll know for sure. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Genfærd said:

Shouldn't be an issue if you download the BBC News app on your phone and give it permission to send you breaking news notifications. 

He'll be one of the few deaths that the BBC breaks before it appears on DeathList.

• Like 2

As of midnight it'll be 100 days until his 100th birthday.

If he makes it, he'll be the first male member of the British Royal Family, and first British Duke, to reach 100.

I'll avoid setting up a fresh poll to save the anxiety of Leon Britten and SC who are severely allergic to new thread creation, but interested to see a show of hands amongst users... who thinks he'll make it vs. not?

I'm going to say he will... just.

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

If he makes it, he'll be the first male member of the British Royal Family, and first British Duke, to reach 100.

I'll avoid setting up a fresh poll to save the anxiety of Leon Britten and SC who are severely allergic to new thread creation, but interested to see a show of hands amongst users... who thinks he'll make it vs. not?

If I had to bet on one, I'd guess he probably won't make it to 100, but I wouldn't put much money on it. There's probably going to be some close calls involved between now and then.

He'll fall either just short or go not long afterwards but if I had to put money on it I'd say he doesn't get there

1 minute ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

He'll fall either just short or go not long afterwards. If I had to put money on it I'd say he doesn't get there

Cheater! :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

who thinks he'll make it vs. not?

Used a coin flip site and my result is yes, he'll live

however I kind-of doubt he will

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Given today's development's, I'm torn. I completely agree that if he does reach 100, it'll be by the skin of his teeth. However, considering how it's gone from "observation" to "infection" to "heart condition", I'm thinking that he probably won't make it.

14 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I'd have said 100 a month ago but now...no, he'll fall just short like Zsa Zsa and Billy Graham.

5 minutes ago, msc said:

I'd have said 100 a month ago but now...no, he'll fall just short like Zsa Zsa and Billy Graham.

Forgot about how close they were. Just checked. Billy was 259 days short and Zsa Zsa was 50 short so Philip is in between them. 

Anything less than 30 days short of the landmark is just utter party pooping. The Royal Mint and Palace officials will be raging. In that situation I reckon they'll commission the coins, tea towels and mugs anyway as a "birthday anniversary/commemoration" type thing.

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Forgot about how close they were. Just checked. Billy was 259 days short and Zsa Zsa was 50 short so Philip is in between them. 

Anything less than 30 days short of the landmark is just utter party pooping. The Royal Mint and Palace officials will be raging. In that situation I reckon they'll commission the coins, tea towels and mugs anyway as a "birthday anniversary/commemoration" type thing.

I'm sure he'd be royally miffed if he died just a bit too early to get a card and a telegram from his missus, probably the most action the bloke's had in decades.

Gets out of hospital next week, looking exactly like the corpse he did when he went in. Confounds 30+ pages of tedious speculation here (particular emphasis on fucking repeaty tweety shit) and lives until well into next year.

Then carks it overnight on 1st April 2022 without a single sign beforehand making us all look like the fools we so clearly are. Oh how we'll look back and laugh.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Gets out of hospital next week, looking exactly like the corpse he did when he went in. Confounds 30+ pages of tedious speculation here (particular emphasis on fucking repeaty tweety shit) and lives until well into next year.

Then carks it overnight on 1st April 2022 without a single sign beforehand making us all look like the fools we so clearly are. Oh how we'll look back and laugh.

Oh, please let that happen :D

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, ECG said:

Given today's development's, I'm torn. I completely agree that if he does reach 100, it'll be by the skin of his teeth. However, considering how it's gone from "observation" to "infection" to "heart condition", I'm thinking that he probably won't make it.

You can be observed for an infection. Doubt he went in just to be watched 24/7, there was a reason. So he went in with an infection, that was serious enough to warrant monitoring. Either the infection or the treatment of it has led to concerning changes in a pre-existing heart condition, so he has been transferred to Bart's where they can monitor any changes in that (and act quickly if necessary) while continuing to treat the ongoing infection. There's no great mystery here, there's just been more information released as necessary: if the infection had quickly cleared up, and he'd have been out inside a week, then observation was essentially all he was there for.

And I agree with  @En Passant, I think he'll survive longer than we think, but what do I know.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Shouldn't be an issue if you download the BBC News app on your phone and give it permission to send you breaking news notifications. 

He'll be one of the few deaths that the BBC breaks before it appears on DeathList.

Not if one of the other channels gets their first - as you tube shows the BBC were 5 minutes ahead of ITV when the Queen Mother died. Not impossible it be the other way round this time

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

Again, nothing that is "news" there. Just sensationalism. You don't half lap it up.

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Not if one of the other channels gets their first - as you tube shows the BBC were 5 minutes ahead of ITV when the Queen Mother died. Not impossible it be the other way round this time

Yes, because the head of the Royal Family is the head of state, and the BBC is the state broadcaster. Guess who they may be inclined to tell first?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Is it not the case the Press Association is informed and then sent out from there or is that only in relation to it being forwarded on to International media  ?

An infection that doesn't clear up after two weeks of treatment, plus now heart issues- it sure doesn't look very good-  if he does make 100, he won't last much longer- but maybe they will put in another stint and he'll be okay for awhile- the non- cured infection is another matter- BBC new app, huh? I wonder if that works in the US

5 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Is it not the case the Press Association is informed and then sent out from there or is that only in relation to it being forwarded on to International media  ?

In the plans for Operation London / Forth Bridge (or what we know of them publicly at least), it isn't specified. It just says that the PM is informed then the heads of government of all respective Commonwealth countries and then the media. But I would imagine they would alert the state broadcaster, then the press association. I don't think the Palace would appreciate The Sun tweeting about it before the BBC got a chance to break the story.

20 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

In the plans for Operation London / Forth Bridge (or what we know of them publicly at least), it isn't specified. It just says that the PM is informed then the heads of government of all respective Commonwealth countries and then the media. But I would imagine they would alert the state broadcaster, then the press association. I don't think the Palace would appreciate The Sun tweeting about it before the BBC got a chance to break the story.

I'd have thought the PA would distribute the news with a short embargo so that all broadcasters could activate their obit procedures. 

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I don't think the Palace would appreciate The Sun tweeting about it before the BBC got a chance to break the story.

Somehow I don't think the Sun has much concern for the sensitivities of exalted persons - Rupert aside.

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes, because the head of the Royal Family is the head of state, and the BBC is the state broadcaster. Guess who they may be inclined to tell first?

The royals hate the BBC.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1