BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

10 minutes ago, time said:

He's more tactless than racist, I feel, with such lack of tact revealing itself in off-colour remarks which can be/are construed as racist, and at face value some are undoubtly racist. But hes not racist like the Met.

And he gets things wrong, like saying Indian when he meant cowboy (in the context of shoddy work).

The "British women can't cook" was reputedly said on a visit to the Scottish Women's Institute, and I suspect he meant to say "English women can't cook". :facepalm:

He's always made jokes at everybody's expense.  An equal opportunities offender.  :lol:

5 hours ago, Toast said:

And he gets things wrong, like saying Indian when he meant cowboy (in the context of shoddy work).

The "British women can't cook" was reputedly said on a visit to the Scottish Women's Institute, and I suspect he meant to say "English women can't cook". :facepalm:

He's always made jokes at everybody's expense.  An equal opportunities offender.  :lol:

A fair point about the equal ops above and...

Sometimes he was funny - can't recall which country was celebrating its independence from the UK but when the Union Jack was coming down and the new national flat was being hoisted he tapped the proud president on the shoulder and said "Are you sure about this old boy?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, time said:
8 hours ago, Toast said:

Where does this thing about Philip being racist come from?  As far as I can remember all he's ever done is make bad jokes.  A few have played on racial characteristics or national stereotypes, but mostly he's just been tactless.  Few groups have escaped his wisecracks.

"British women can't cook" - 1961

He's more tactless than racist, I feel, with such lack of tact revealing itself in off-colour remarks which can be/are construed as racist, and at face value some are undoubtly racist. But hes not racist like the Met.

I disagree. He is so unracist that he doesn't recognise the things he says as racist because he doesn't recognise difference in race. 

Most of the things he says relates to culture rather than race, or factual racial differentials such as Chinese people having slitty eyes...which they do.

People just like to be offended these days. Including me. Can't get enough of being the victim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

That's my impression too, Windsor. 

Nah. You cannot say, do you people still throw spears at each other to Australian Aborigines and not be a casual racist.

You cannot say, you survived not getting eaten to a student hiking in Papua New Guinea and not be a casual racist.

This would be like saying, to Prince Phillip, so how many concentration camps did your wife's ancestors set up in South Africa?

and How many Turks did your dad slaughter?

Culturally, his people are just as weird as everyone else and everyone has ancestors who were monsters.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, QuebecCityOliver said:

Nah. You cannot say, do you people still throw spears at each other to Australian Aborigines and not be a casual racist.

You cannot say, you survived not getting eaten to a student hiking in Papua New Guinea and not be a casual racist.

This would be like saying, to Prince Phillip, so how many concentration camps did your wife's ancestors set up in South Africa?

and How many Turks did your dad slaughter?

Culturally, his people are just as weird as everyone else and everyone has ancestors who were monsters.

Bad jokes about old stereotypes are not racism.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

In many cases, that's exactly what they are.

• Like 3

People have lost their jobs, been vilified by every sector of the media, received death threats even, for less. Some of it years old and dredged up long after the original comment.

He doesn't get a pass.

Oh wait, he does.

I have no particular personal view on it, I'm relatively old so I tend to think it's exactly that, just the way it was and now isn't anymore, fair enough. 

I just chuckle at his bon-mot's but also accept that it's out of date and probably has no place today.

However, I do get incensed when it's one rule for us and another for them.

• Like 1

I don't condone racism.  True racism is vile.   I just don't agree with the modern obsession of interpreting everything as racism, down to a mere mention of someone's ethnicity.  I'll leave it to the snowflakes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Toast said:

I don't condone racism.  True racism is vile.   I just don't agree with the modern obsession of interpreting everything as racism, down to a mere mention of someone's ethnicity.  I'll leave it to the snowflakes. 

Well yes, but what is "true racism" and what isn't?  Who's the arbiter? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Toast said:

It depends.

Anyway i don't think that i would call Philip a racist.

28 minutes ago, time said:

Well yes, but what is "true racism" and what isn't?  Who's the arbiter? 

Racism is where discrimination causes real harm to people.  Not imagined slights.

There's a woman who lives near me who insists that any mention of her children's hair is racist.  She's a light-skinned black woman married to a white man and their children look white, but have curly hair.  As do many white people.  That sort of crap.

I'm not going to pursue this any further.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

Racism is where discrimination causes real harm to people.  Not imagined slights.

There's a woman who lives near me who insists that any mention of her children's hair is racist.  She's a light-skinned black woman married to a white man and their children look white, but have curly hair.  As do many white people.  That sort of crap.

I'm not going to pursue this any further.

That's your prerogative, but the definition of racism you've given above is, in my opinion, barely scratching the surface of what racism is. 

• Like 1

The problem with discussions like this is that you can literally both be right. 

There is no singular definition of racism and it can be complicated. 

I'm not sure how long ago that idea clicked in my head, but it has made viewing reddit, this forum, and other places on the internet much more pleasant when viewing or participating discussions/arguments. Both sides assert that they are correct, when they could both be right. 

• Like 3

I'm surprised an update on Philip has been given, especially give that they probably want Meghan out the headlines. 

The Palace should have tweeted that he had taken a turn for the worse and was in intensive care, just before the Oprah interview was about to air.

Can only imagine Piers reaction to that!

• Like 2

Oh he's definitely racist, but in that old fashioned way that people from his generation and privilege tend to be.  I don't think he even consciously realises he's doing it, he's just trying to relate to the "common man" to put them at their ease with what he views as humour.... even if that humour is about 50 years out of date.

Now, his wife's Uncle Edward? That man was racist in the very real sense.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, time said:

In many cases, that's exactly what they are.

There is a difference between joking based on a stereotype and outright racism

35 minutes ago, Philip said:

There is a difference between joking based on a stereotype and outright racism

Indeed, though there's also a difference between joking based on a stereotype and joking based on a characteristic, e.g. joking that British/English can't cook vs. joking that staying in China would make you "slitty-eyed". 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, arghton said:

So its basically about nothing. Shock.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, ECG said:

I'm surprised an update on Philip has been given, especially give that they probably want Meghan out the headlines. 

Now would be the perfect time for him to snuff it, divert all the attention, generate large outpourings of public sympathy etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JR976evil said:

Now would be the perfect time for him to snuff it, divert all the attention, generate large outpourings of public sympathy etc

Perhaps he'll hang on long enough to sort Meghan out, one way or another.