BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

13 minutes ago, marklv said:

RIP the Duke.  Really bad taste to call him a 'casual racist' - he was a man of his time and he took on board the attitudes of his time, right or wrong.  

Exactly, he was hardly casual.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Angry 1

23 minutes ago, YouOnlyDieOnce said:

More importantly, those lazy buggers milking furlough will be missing out on a day off for the funeral. So we can expect the Queen's face to look more like a bag of spanners than usual, especially as the "countdown" for her has just started.

I'm not sure we will get a day off work for the funeral. I like many others probably , have googled to see if this is the case!

The Platinum Jubilee is going to be a rather muted affair next year.

The extra day off is Friday 3rd of June, they are moving the late Spring Bank Holiday to Thursday the 2nd. 

The Forth Bridge has finally fallen down.

A true legend in and outside the DeathList world. I wonder if the Queen would have given Phil a 100th birthday card, I know Phil hated the idea of turning 100 and probably would have done a Bob Weighton and rejected a card but the Queen IS his wife so who knows. I guess we will never find out now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dodrade said:

In his defence he offended everyone without fear or favour.

Well, in his day people had thicker skin.  In our modern 'woke' world everybody has a right to be offended, so it's impossible to say anything in public that isn't inane or just a platitude.

• Like 1

Will Megan be barred from entering the UK on the orders of Brenda? Will she and Hapless Harry even dare to come from the funeral? They will get a roasting from Charlie for their huge porkies.

• Like 3

No way! Death of the year. Shock of the decade. hashtag Prayforhermaj

Old Phil was 99, not 100 as on the list.

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

The extra day off is Friday 3rd of June, they are moving the late Spring Bank Holiday to Thursday the 2nd. 

You are assuming the Queen will still be (1) alive or (2) not have abdicated by then.  Philips' death may hasten one or both of these.

Another dual post caused by glitch. Please delete.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, marklv said:

You are assuming the Queen will still be (1) alive or (2) not have abdicated by then.  Philips' death may hasten one or both of these.

She won't abdicate.  There's no need for her to do so.  Abdication is a dirty word to her, it caused her parents no end of grief.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Actually  I suspect the opposite. People thought this in 2002 when Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother died months before the golden  jubilee  and it turned out to be a huge success.

• Like 1

I do like the way the beeb felt it necessary to clarify which Prince Philip has died.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Sad to hear he has died.No shock at all though that last picture gave away how frail he was.Frailer than before.He had the end of life look.

6 minutes ago, ScooterManiac said:

Exactly, he was hardly casual.

He wasn't very tactful in what he said but no way was he a racist.  He embraced the idea of the Commonwealth, and by that not just the old dominions but all of it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kenny said:

Will lying Megan be barred from entering the UK on the orders of Brenda? Will she and Hapless Harry even dare to come back for the funeral?

I think Harry at least will come, he and William were very close to their grandfather. 

Man, Nicholas Witchell has got old since I last saw him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

She won't abdicate.  There's no need for her to do so.  Abdication is a dirty word to her, it caused her parents no end of grief.

Possibly, but the death of a partner of over 70 years is going to be very stressful.  People would understand if she decided to thrown in the towel.

1 minute ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

I think Harry at least will come, he and William were very close to their grandfather. 

Harry is poison.  Personally, I think they should lock him out.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Man, Nicholas Witchell has got old since I last saw him.

I said this when he appeared. Suddenly showing his age. Found it amusing he was contacted "down the line" in the minutes after the death while he quite obviously going to be putting on his black tie and suit to come into the office - he was on screen about 15 minutes later!

1 minute ago, marklv said:

Possibly, but the death of a partner of over 70 years is going to be very stressful.  People would understand if she decided to thrown in the towel.

But she doesn't have to do anything.  She can delegate more duties to Charles et al, and has already cut down a lot.  

Queen Victoria went into seclusion for years after she was widowed, but she didn't abdicate.

• Like 1

At least Meghan will now feel safer when being driven through an underpass, unless plans have already been made. On another note, who will be the next D of E, that poof Edward?

Just now, marklv said:

Yeah it's very possible the Queen will be gone soon. George HW Bush died from a broken heart only a few months after his wife Barbara died.

2 minutes ago, YouOnlyDieOnce said:

At least Meghan will now feel safer when being driven through an underpass, unless plans have already been made. On another note, who will be the next D of E, that poof Edward?

Technically goes Charles as the eldest I think but as far as I recall reading somewhere he'll pass it on to Edward when he becomes King which is as far I know why he only became an Earl when he married Sophie