BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

None of his sister's children but Bernhard, Hereditary Prince of Baden is the oldest son of Maximilian, Margrave of Baden and a grandchild of one of Philip's sisters.

Maximilian is 87 and probably can't attend due to covid or age-related problems

• Like 1

Daily Mail has added loads of royal funeral pics to the article, with out-of-date captions.  Several of them refer to Victoria as the longest-reigning monarch. :rolleyes:

Plus an incomplete and largely irrelevant royal family tree.  It would have been much more interesting to see Philip's family tree and where these rellies fit in.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Toast said:

Daily Mail has added loads of royal funeral pics to the article, with out-of-date captions.  Several of them refer to Victoria as the longest-reigning monarch. :rolleyes:

Plus an incomplete and largely irrelevant royal family tree.  It would have been much more interesting to see Philip's family tree and where these rellies fit in.

Plus the vast majority of those photos are irrelevant to this funeral. This isn't the funeral of a monarch, it's the funeral of a consort. The only photos relevant to that are the ones from the Queen Mother's funeral in 2002. Although it's also worth noting that this is the first example of a consort dying before the Monarch since Prince Albert, so is itself of different significance to the deaths of Elizabeth, Mary of Teck and Alexandra.

• Like 1

Last time the male monarch outlived the female consort was in 1821. I'd say this could very well happen again with Charles and Camilla.

1 hour ago, arghton said:

Last time the male monarch outlived the female consort was in 1821. 

Does that one still count? George IV hated his wife, tried to divorce her and strip her of her title of Queen consort and even banned her from attending the coronation. 

Charles and Diana have nothing on that pair...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last week an Australian stand-up comic was in the middle of cracking jokes about Prince Philip, when the crowd told him he had died

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, MoneySavingExpt said:

Last week an Australian stand-up comic was in the middle of cracking jokes about Prince Philip, when the crowd told him he had died

Probably saved him dying on his feet.

Second or third rate comedian. Looks funnier than he is. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MoneySavingExpt said:

What a cunt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The guest list.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56765468

All children and grandchildren in attendance but no great grandkids. Beatrice and Eugenie's spouses also attend even though the former's husband has been in the family less than a year and probably barely knew Philip. Peter Philips and Lord Snowdon going alone after their marriage break ups, no place for Fergie not surprisingly. The three Germans confirmed but a no show for Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Pushy. Countess Mountbatten goes but not her husband, as do the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent without their wives. Princess Alexandra also present despite rumours of ill health but not Lady Pamela Hicks.

• Like 3

On 11/04/2021 at 20:39, RoverAndOut said:

On the Duchess of Kent, there's this from the Express last year gossiping about how she's claimed to have both the Epstein-Barr Virus and Coeliac Disease but also claimed she's got "no history of ill health". No analysis, expert opinions or anything like that. Just a short article stirring the shit, as one would expect of the Express. But there we have it.

The last time I saw the Duchess of Kent was when Jana Novotna died. She looked frail but well. Admittedly this is now over three years ago so her health may have deteriorated since.

1 hour ago, dodrade said:

The guest list.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56765468

All children and grandchildren in attendance but no great grandkids. Beatrice and Eugenie's spouses also attend even though the former's husband has been in the family less than a year and probably barely knew Philip. Peter Philips and Lord Snowdon going alone after their marriage break ups, no place for Fergie not surprisingly. The three Germans confirmed but a no show for Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Pushy. Countess Mountbatten goes but not her husband, as do the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent without their wives. Princess Alexandra also present despite rumours of ill health but not Lady Pamela Hicks.

Interesting that the original guest list was for 800! Shows how many hangers on there when you boil it down. No place for his Private Secretary either.

Fun fact (matter of opinion) I came across, while looking up the German relatives: Prince Donatus, Landgrave of Hesse is the grandson of Prince Philipp, Landgrave of Hesse, after whom (according to Wikipedia at least) Prince Philip was named (Philipp spent a lot of time in Greece with his aunt, Princess Sophia of Prussia, Queen of Sophia of Greece, the sister-in-law to Philip's father).

It says Donatus has been invited to represent Philip's younger sisters, who married into the Hesse line. Donatus was actually named after his relative Georg Donatus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse, who was married to Philip's younger sister Cecilie - they died in a plane crash in 1937. This led to the photo that has been doing the rounds recently of Philip at a Nazi funeral - the Grand Duke had joined the Nazi Party 6 months earlier.

No Lady Pamela Hicks, I think they've drawn the line at the only necessary 90+ year-old being present. And re: the Countess Mountbatten, as Toast said previously, and has been publicised, she was Philip's carriage riding companion. She's late 60s, so surely a bit young for any funny business with Philip, and anyway, I think it's her hubby that's the one who likes to play around - according to headlines on Google from the DM and such like, the 3rd Earl Mountbatten was out of the family home for a while due to infidelity. At least this way, the Mountbatten name is still represented and by somebody the Duke actually liked. Seems like a list he'd approve of for the most part, but I'd agree maybe getting rid of Mapelli Mozzi and giving a place to his Private Secretary would have been more apt, although I guess they couldn't leave him out when everybody else could bring spouses.

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Seems like a list he'd approve of for the most part, but I'd agree maybe getting rid of Mapelli Mozzi and giving a place to his Private Secretary would have been more apt, although I guess they couldn't leave him out when everybody else could bring spouses.

I'm sure a reward in the form of being made a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order will cushion the blow...

I'm surprised that the York sons-in-law have been included, they can't have been close to Philip, not been around long enough.

As for Lord Mountbatten/Brabourne, didn't he piss off to live in the Bahamas or somewhere like that?  Penny has taken over all his duties and responsibilities at Broadlands and in Romsey.

Following the Remembrance Sunday parade in Romsey (one of her first engagements as High Steward) Penelope, accompanied by local school­children, placed poppies on each of Romsey’s 18 war graves, a local councillor said - “Lord Brabourne’s out of the picture now, as far as we’re concerned.  Lady Brabourne has already done more for Romsey than he ever did.”

https://www.lordmountbattenofburma.com/copy-4-of-master-2

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Seems like a list he'd approve of for the most part, but I'd agree maybe getting rid of Mapelli Mozzi and giving a place to his Private Secretary would have been more apt, although I guess they couldn't leave him out when everybody else could bring spouses.

But not everybody else is bringing spouses.

I bet he banned Fergie :lol:  Wonder if she and Andrew will remarry now?

On the subject of Princess Alexandra just read that when she was born she was 6th in line to the throne. Now she is 55th. Currently Harry is 6th in line to the throne.

11 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

It says Donatus has been invited to represent Philip's younger sisters, who married into the Hesse line. Donatus was actually named after his relative Georg Donatus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse, who was married to Philip's younger sister Cecilie - they died in a plane crash in 1937. This led to the photo that has been doing the rounds recently of Philip at a Nazi funeral - the Grand Duke had joined the Nazi Party 6 months earlier.

I've always found it rather odd how some people prefer to focus on his attendance at a pre-war funeral when he was 16 rather than his years fighting fascism in WWII. It's as if they would rather think he was actually a secret Nazi for some reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

On the subject of Princess Alexandra just read that when she was born she was 6th in line to the throne. Now she is 55th. Currently Harry is 6th in line to the throne.

And Princess Alexandra still does some royal duties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dodrade said:
12 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

It says Donatus has been invited to represent Philip's younger sisters, who married into the Hesse line. Donatus was actually named after his relative Georg Donatus, Hereditary Grand Duke of Hesse, who was married to Philip's youngest sister Cecilie - they died in a plane crash in 1937. This led to the photo that has been doing the rounds recently of Philip at a Nazi funeral - the Grand Duke had joined the Nazi Party 6 months earlier.

I've always found it rather odd how some people prefer to focus on his attendance at a pre-war funeral when he was 16 rather than his years fighting fascism in WWII. It's as if they would rather think he was actually a secret Nazi for some reason.

She was his favourite sister and her whole family was wiped out in the plane crash, except her little daughter who did not travel and died of meningitis soon afterwards.

Cecilie was pregnant and apparently gave birth on the plane as the body of a newborn baby was found in the wreckage.  It's hard to think up anything more tragic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/04/2021 at 21:13, The Quim Reaper said:

I can’t think why...

BREAKING NEWS... it's actually 109.741 complaints:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56756296

But it's really difficult with you people:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56746250

13 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yep, and the thing is, it really shouldn’t be difficult: Fuck all the royal coverage onto News 24, then for all the major channels just report it during normal news bulletin when it happens and then shut the up fuck. This amount of shite would be too much for the Queen, even.

28 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

What’s interesting is it’s mainly old people complaining according to that article. Not happy that EastEnders was cancelled for the day. They’re lucky I’m not BBC Controller. It would be permanently axed and replaced with something that doesn’t burn brain cells.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Toast said:

But not everybody else is bringing spouses.

I bet he banned Fergie :lol:  Wonder if she and Andrew will remarry now?

As you've just pointed out though, Andy and Fergie are *not* spouses. :lol: Think they'll wait until The Queen dies myself.

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Don't think Harry will drop that low at any point in his life. Really, you're looking at it from the wrong angle: Princess Alexandra was the second child of the Duke of Kent, the 4th son of King George V and therefore King George VI's niece. At the time of her birth, only King George VI's two daughters (the Queen and Princess Margaret), the King's brothers, the Duke of Gloucester and the Duke of Kent (Alexandra's dad) and her older brother, the current Duke of Kent, were in front of her. That puts her roughly in the position of David Armstrong-Jones, 2nd Earl Snowdon (formerly Viscount Linley). When he was born in 1961, he was the nephew of the Queen and 5th in line to the throne (behind Charles, Andrew, Anne and his mother, Princess Margaret). He dropped to 6th a couple of years later when Prince Edward was born.

He's dropped from 12th in line to the throne in 2005 to 23rd in line today and counting. A rough calculation, by the time he's Princess Alexandra's age (if he gets there), I reckon he'll be around the 40s in the line of succession, once the younger members of the immediate family have grown up and the families that have just started, like Beatrice and Eugenie's have had their children. For the next generation, Archie will be in the same position, nephew of the future King and 6th in line to the throne after the Queen dies (unless Kate has another). He'll drop a fair way over the decades as George, Charlotte and Louis grow up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dodrade said:

Agreed. The tributes last week talked about how there were plenty in and around the family who were deeply worried about him marrying Princess Elizabeth, not just because he was seen as a bit of a playboy but because of his German links. This being the same Philip Mountbatten who most of his contemporaries think would have risen to be First Sea Lord had his Navy career been allowed to develop. :facepalm:

16 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Agreed. The tributes last week talked about how there were plenty in and around the family who were deeply worried about him marrying Princess Elizabeth, not just because he was seen as a bit of a playboy but because of his German links. This being the same Philip Mountbatten who most of his contemporaries think would have risen to be First Sea Lord had his Navy career been allowed to develop. :facepalm:

One story I quite like was that the first time the Queen took Philip to Balmoral to meet everyone there, he was in the full kilt get up when the King (George VI) appeared in the room, and Philip, being Philip, decided to curtsy the King. Cue outraged courtiers but apparently George VI thought it was hilarious.

• Haha 2