BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

39 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:
13 hours ago, Toast said:

But not everybody else is bringing spouses.

I bet he banned Fergie :lol:  Wonder if she and Andrew will remarry now?

As you've just pointed out though, Andy and Fergie are *not* spouses. :lol: Think they'll wait until The Queen dies myself.

No, I meant the Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester aren't coming.

I wasn't mentioning Fergie as an absent spouse.  It's well known that she was persona non grata with Philip.  I'm not so sure that the Queen feels the same way as I've never heard anything to that effect.  I suspect that if they did want to remarry she would approve.

38 minutes ago, Toast said:

No, I meant the Duchesses of Kent and Gloucester aren't coming.

I wasn't mentioning Fergie as an absent spouse.  It's well known that she was persona non grata with Philip.  I'm not so sure that the Queen feels the same way as I've never heard anything to that effect.  I suspect that if they did want to remarry she would approve.

Ah, indeed. But they're cousins, not grandchildren. Perks of being in the semi-immediate family that Mr Mapelli Mozzi gets to be at THE funeral of the year. :lol:

Re: Fergie, maybe, but they might also wait out of respect for his father's disapproval until his mother's also gone. But it will be interesting to see if you're right. Autumn engagement and Christmas wedding, anyone? :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Ah, indeed. But they're cousins, not grandchildren. Perks of being in the semi-immediate family that Mr Mapelli Mozzi gets to be at THE funeral of the year. :lol:

I would have thought that it would be down to closeness to Philip rather than strict family pecking order, hence the inclusion of Penny Mountbatten. 

I would also have thought that he would have compiled the guest list himself in the recent past given that numbers are so limited.   In normal times of course there would have been all sorts of people representing the Commonwealth, charities he supported, foreign royals, armed forces and politicians and many others not close to him at all.

Are any of the birds he was shagging on the side attending the funeral? Or are they listed under the 'cousins' invite list? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

maybe, but they might also wait out of respect for his father's disapproval until his mother's also gone. But it will be interesting to see if you're right. Autumn engagement and Christmas wedding, anyone? :rolleyes:

If it happens I think it will be very discreet and there would be no engagement or even an announcement until the deed was done.

33 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Are any of the birds he was shagging on the side attending the funeral? Or are they listed under the 'cousins' invite list? 

One of them for sure, if the old rumours are true.  ;)

One thing that is always peculiar about these royal gatherings is just how inter-related they all are. The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra are going to the funeral as first cousins of the Queen, but are also first cousins once removed of Prince Philip himself, as their mother, Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark was Philip's first cousin. No wonder everyone thinks they're lizards. :lol:

8 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

One thing that is always peculiar about these royal gatherings is just how inter-related they all are. The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra are going to the funeral as first cousins of the Queen, but are also first cousins once removed of Prince Philip himself, as their mother, Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark was Philip's first cousin. No wonder everyone thinks they're lizards. :lol:

Wasn't Queen Victoria called "The Grandmother of Europe"or something similar?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

The King of Norway is about 90th in line to our throne. He is the closest of all the European royals

• Like 2

So the Oxfam shop in Windsor will be the go to place for second hand navel uniforms and books on carriage driving then....

• Like 2

My son wants to know the odds of the Queen remarrying, but none of the regular bookmakers seem to be offering quotes.   

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, One shot Paddy said:

Very much so, and is also held responsible for the spread of haemophilia through European royal families. To give you an idea, Queen Victoria's close relations included:

• Edward VII - father of King George V of the UK, married to Alexandra of Denmark, daughter of King Christian IX, brother of King George I of Greece and aunt to Tsar Nicholas II of Russia (his mother was Alexandra's sister). His daughter Maud of Wales married the King of Norway, her grandson is Harald V, as Biblio mentioned.
  • Victoria - married Kaiser Frederick III of Prussia, mother of Kaiser Bill
  • Alice - mother of Tsarina Alexandra of Russia, the last Tsarina
  • Alfred - father of Queen Marie of Romania
  • Arthur - father of Margaret, first wife of King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden, 5 children then died - her grandchildren include King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden (the current King), Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, the exiled monarch', King Constantine's wife.
  • Beatrice - mother of Victoria, Queen of Spain, grandmother of King Juan Carlos I
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

navel uniforms

With a flap on the front for getting at the fluff?

*Yes yes, I know it's a spelling lame. I'm sorry, I'm just a twat like that sometimes.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

My son wants to know the odds of the Queen remarrying, but none of the regular bookmakers seem to be offering quotes.   

About the same odds as getting a request of Oh What A Circus played on EPOS tomorrow 

I note that the STV News in Scotland have had to turn off commenting on their articles regarding the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.

Gives some indication of the general nationalist scum we will be handing over to as an independent country.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

BBC website states that his funeral was watched by at least 13 million people on ITV and BBC combined. It is also in top 3 trending of Youtube worldwide on Royal Famiy channel (doesn't show how many people watched) and in top 5 on BBC Youtube channel with over 7 million views.

Basically most of the trending section on Youtube this weekend is Prince Philip related.

Around 130 thousand people in my country watched it. Probably the most talked about death here in the last three or four years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

BBC website states that his funeral was watched by at least 13 million people on ITV and BBC combined. It is also in top 3 trending of Youtube worldwide on Royal Famiy channel (doesn't show how many people watched) and in top 5 on BBC Youtube channel with over 7 million views.

Basically most of the trending section on Youtube this weekend is Prince Philip related.

The 3 big U.S. news networks streamed it live – MSNBC, Fox and CNN.

And I believe the French and Italian news channels did too.

I have seen a post on another site from an American who thinks it is tragic that only 30 people attended the funeral, and that they were all family.   From this they concluded that the RF have no friends

none of the royals seem to have any actual friends. They are only surrounded by (and ultimately mourned by) family and employees. There are no school friends, friends from work, friends from shared interests/hobbies, friends from sports teams, friends from the neighborhood, friends they grew up with, or any of the other types of friends the rest of us have. ....

I find this so depressing. I think Harry is correct and the royal life really is a type of prison.

I'm dumbfounded at the level of ignorance shown by this.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I have seen a post on another site from an American who thinks it is tragic that only 30 people attended the funeral, and that they were all family.   From this they concluded that the RF have no friends

I'm dumbfounded at the level of ignorance shown by this.

Clearly he missed Harry's £30m wedding with 600 guests 3 years ago...

He also missed the fact Philip's carriage driving companion was present. They even managed to shoehorn someone with shared interests and hobbies into the 30 allowed to attend! :facepalm:

32 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

He also missed the fact Philip's carriage driving companion was present. They even managed to shoehorn someone with shared interests and hobbies into the 30 allowed to attend! :facepalm:

His carriage driving companion is the Countess of Mountbatten of Burma...the Earl being a waste of space. So she was representing an important branch of his family.

• Like 1

When you are 99 years old there are not many schoolfriends or people you worked with left.

2E609230-AF40-4601-BC52-5FDC1701471A.thumb.jpeg.0f4e796fbb6b5284fb532086de9d8c22.jpeg

Errrrrm...

020CB2A2-90DF-4BFD-AD79-59F69C7968CF.jpeg.a86c5f6f333e41f6342a9336c980bdd5.jpeg

BB024E60-AF4E-45DF-B4C8-8519D0D901B2.jpeg.f8bc47a92ec0faeae633a51556d2794e.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Windsor said:

His carriage driving companion is the Countess of Mountbatten of Burma...the Earl being a waste of space. So she was representing an important branch of his family.

The Countess Mountbatten of Burma, wife to the 3rd Earl Mountbatten of Burma, grandson of Lord Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, Prince Philip's uncle, murdered by the IRA in 1979. I know.

But that wasn't the point I was making. She wasn't there specifically for that link, she was there because she was one of the Duke's closest friends and his carriage driving companion - in other words, someone he enjoyed spending time with in a social capacity. She is not a blood relation.

44 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

2E609230-AF40-4601-BC52-5FDC1701471A.thumb.jpeg.0f4e796fbb6b5284fb532086de9d8c22.jpeg

Errrrrm...

020CB2A2-90DF-4BFD-AD79-59F69C7968CF.jpeg.a86c5f6f333e41f6342a9336c980bdd5.jpeg

BB024E60-AF4E-45DF-B4C8-8519D0D901B2.jpeg.f8bc47a92ec0faeae633a51556d2794e.jpeg

Xray specs?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Actually they did mention that there was one "friend", but were clearly unaware that she's part of the extended family as well.

2 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

When you are 99 years old there are not many schoolfriends or people you worked with left.

Indeed, there is that too.

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

The Countess Mountbatten of Burma, wife to the 3rd Earl Mountbatten of Burma, grandson of Lord Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, Prince Philip's uncle, murdered by the IRA in 1979. I know.

But that wasn't the point I was making. She wasn't there specifically for that link, she was there because she was one of the Duke's closest friends and his carriage driving companion - in other words, someone he enjoyed spending time with in a social capacity. She is not a blood relation.

Pretty much.  The BBC misleadingly stated that she was representing her husband who was unable to attend due to illness - the truth being that he's persona non grata in the RF since he cheated on Penny and pissed off to the Bahamas to shack up with his floozy.  Penny threw him out when he came crawling back and his daughter refused to have him give her away when she got married - Prince Charles obliged instead.  As Windsor said, he's a waste of space and the BBC shouldn't have been so tactful.  Penny is as much a family member as any of the other spouses that were in attendance, probably closer than most.

• Like 3