BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

Yeah, if she dies first!

• Like 1

Could Prince Philip outlive the Queen?

If it did happen, it would be the first time that a Queen was outlived by her husband since Queen Caroline died in the 1820s before her husband, George IV, died in 1830.

But then again, consorts generally out live their sovereign spouse. Although Prince Albert died 40 years befor his wife.

That's from memory, so it could infact be a lot of bull sh*t.

• Like 2

If it did happen, it would be the first time that a Queen was outlived by her husband since Queen Caroline died in the 1820s before her husband, George IV, died in 1830.

But then again, consorts generally out live their sovereign spouse. Although Prince Albert died 40 years befor his wife.

Personally, I think that's really impressive.

I might take the piss out of Marjorie (as she does me, when protocol allows it) but she sure knows her sh*t!

He'll live a long time - the only thing that kills Mountbattens is semtex.

Good bloke, too.

A newmoan about the Olympics.

Also, a new book released in time for his 85th Birthday.

The 'Scotsman' had a front page report on the Duke's health today.

Headline: Fears for frail Prince Philip.

After the 85 year old prince, who suffers from arthritis, finished the event looking distinctly unwell, it was confirmed it was "unlikely" he would still be competing in carriage driving next year.

Generally, modern statistics say that the husband departs before his spouse. In royalty this seems to be the common routine for over 180 years 'If your right' :P

Saw Phil The Greek with my own eyes last Friday. As a fiddle. Doesn't look to be going anywhere soon - looks and news wise his health is far less in question than Brenda's.

Phil (or Mr Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderberg-Glucksburg as he is known in my house) may be much disparaged in the press, but don't you wish that his sons (especially the eldest) were more like him. I normally dislike people who are 'celebrated' as un-PC, but with Phil it's not an act, unlike Jeremy Clarkson etc. He really is like that. He has no airs and graces, as you'd probably expect of a man who was born on a kitchen table in Corfu. His mother was as deaf as a post and his father was usually in a drunken stupor or absent gambling, so he probably grew up saying what he liked without consequences.

How can anyone not warm to a man who says something so unknowingly and spectacularly tasteless as (spoken to a blind woman with a guide dog) "Did you know they have eating dogs for anorexics these days?"

Guest Chewie

I remember Phil got some flack about describing a fuse box that looked like it had been wired by an Indian. I have been to India on business a few times and I can honestly say that this not a racist quote but a word of concern!

May the old gaff-er keep it up. :)

aka the Duke of Edinburgh. Getting on a bit now, 86 this year, not in the best of health by all accounts. Prospects?

[Merged with existing Prince Philip thread.- NAP]

aka the Duke of Edinburgh. Getting on a bit now, 86 this year, not in the best of health by all accounts. Prospects?

[Merged with existing Prince Philip thread.- NAP]

The Duke of Edinburgh is in excellent health.

Windsor do you have a giant poster of Prince Phil on your bed room door? Or is Charles more your idol.

Windsor do you have a giant poster of Prince Phil on your bed room door? Or is Charles more your idol.

I don't know.

Perhaps your father, John Lennon....

I don't know.

John Lennon isn't my father? Windsor it sounds to me that your trying to provoke, back down. I wasn't insulting you it's just that I know you love royalty so I figured somebody along the lines of royal history would be your royal idol.

Edited by Banshees Scream

I don't know.

John Lennon isn't my father? Windsor it sounds to me that your trying to provoke, back down. I wasn't insulting you it's just that I know you love royalty so I figured somebody along the lines of royal history would be your royal idol.

I have no idols.

I have no idols.

I never had an idol. JD Salinger once said he felt it is wrong to name whome he admired unless they were dead, I agree at a certain extent.

I have no idols.

I never had an idol. JD Salinger once said he felt it is wrong to name whome he admired unless they were dead, I agree at a certain extent.

I have no idols either.

I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadow. If I fail, if I succeed, at least I live as I believe.

No matter what they take from me, they can't take away my dignity.

Sorry, must go, my lighter has run out.

I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadow. If I fail, if I succeed, at least I live as I believe.

But I guess the core of this topic would be 'What is an idol in your eyes?' It can be looked at differently.

I'm convinced that Phil's on his way out, but that's probably more hope than anything else. "Hope" because I'm in the mood for a nice state funeral, and also because I'd like to see the Queen's attitude to mourning - will she take the Victoria approach, don black garments on a permanent basis, and cloister herself away for her own duration?

I'm convinced that Phil's on his way out, but that's probably more hope than anything else. "Hope" because I'm in the mood for a nice state funeral, and also because I'd like to see the Queen's attitude to mourning - will she take the Victoria approach, don black garments on a permanent basis, and cloister herself away for her own duration?

I can't see the Queen being a widow for 39 years, myself. Anyway, there's no reason why Phil shouldn't make his 90s. He doesn't have a history of poor health and he seems active enough at the moment. Genetics is on his side too - his mother lived to 86 and his grandmother to 87. In fact, looking through his relatives you can see that most live to very old age as long as no-one assassinated them (as happened to his uncle, his grandfather and two great aunts).

I think he'll die in his 90s.He shows no sign of major ill health right now since hes able to walk about ok and stuff

A lovely article about Prince Philip and how, in one part of the world, he is believed to be immortal, the son of an ancient spirit who inhabits a nearby mountain.

"Despite worshipping the prince for half a century, the villagers [...] only learnt recently that his birthday falls on June 10. Ambitious plans are under way to celebrate the occasion this year.

There will be dancing and a feast. Chief Jack Naiva has acquired a Union Jack, which will be raised and saluted. But the celebrations will only really be complete if Prince Philip turns up, say the tribespeople.

"You must tell King Philip that I'm getting old and I want him to come and visit me before I die," said the white-haired chief, who thinks he is about 80. "If he can't come perhaps he could send us something: a Land Rover, bags of rice or a little money"

A lovely article about Prince Philip and how, in one part of the world, he is believed to be immortal, the son of an ancient spirit who inhabits a nearby mountain.

"Despite worshipping the prince for half a century, the villagers [...] only learnt recently that his birthday falls on June 10. Ambitious plans are under way to celebrate the occasion this year.

There will be dancing and a feast. Chief Jack Naiva has acquired a Union Jack, which will be raised and saluted. But the celebrations will only really be complete if Prince Philip turns up, say the tribespeople.

"You must tell King Philip that I'm getting old and I want him to come and visit me before I die," said the white-haired chief, who thinks he is about 80. "If he can't come perhaps he could send us something: a Land Rover, bags of rice or a little money"

Cargo cults are the in thing with hacks at the mo then. I read about the John Frum cult on the BBC the other day.

Must be a slow news week what with Harry being posted to Iraq, Britney having a grade 0, Italian prime minister resigning and collosial squid being caught in antarctic waters...

Isn't he also related to Vlad the impaler going back about 14-15 generations?