BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

Camilla actually has one of the best reputations among the royals among people who actually meet them. Apparently quite down to earth, no airs or graces. She suffered in the press from not being Diana for years, but really, history has shown there were 4 (at least) people in that marriage on both sides and its really no one else's business.

Obviously Libby's the most popular by far. Between her love of TV Science Fiction and football (and apparently boxing), the snippets of her politics which come out from time to time, and all the history she's witnessed, she must be fascinating to sit down and chat with, tbh.

For unpopular royals, Andrew is the right twat with no self-awareness, even before his recent run of bad press. But all the ones that matter (Queenie, Philip, Charles, William/Kate, Harry, kids and Princess Anne) seem OK. Or unremarkable at least, like William!

Charles will take the throne, he'll be shockingly uncontroversial and dull, he'll be King for about 5-10 years, then die of old age and pass the crown to a relatively middle aged William.

• Like 3

It was a shame for the Royal family that Diana died when she did. She went through quite  a lot of men of varying degrees of 'suitability' in her last years and I remember her getting plenty of  stick  at the time in press comment pieces for doing so in the full glare of the media and potentially bringing embarrassment on her children. This increasingly maverick behaviour was conveniently forgotten post car crash of course, but she became a lot less popular in the mid 90s and might well have continued to become so had she lived longer.

Death performed a similar immortalising/reputation-saving function for Queen, for example. History forgets that when Freddie died he had become the increasingly pantomime camp figurehead of an irrelevant band that hadn't produced anything worth listening to for 6-7 years and whose best days had finished another 4-5 years prior to that. 

32 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

It was a shame for the Royal family that Diana died when she did. She went through quite  a lot of men of varying degrees of 'suitability' in her last years and I remember her getting plenty of  stick  at the time in press comment pieces for doing so in the full glare of the media and potentially bringing embarrassment on her children. This increasingly maverick behaviour was conveniently forgotten post car crash of course, but she became a lot less popular in the mid 90s and might well have continued to become so had she lived longer.

You are so right.  She used the media shamelessly.  A sly manipulative creature.  I had no time for her at all.

Spookily I predicted her death - not to the day, but while friends were musing over what else would happen in her royal soap opera, I said,

"She'll die in some spectacular way while still young and beautiful.  So she will become a legend. That would be bang in character."

2 hours ago, Toast said:

You are so right.  She used the media shamelessly.  A sly manipulative creature.  I had no time for her at all.

Spookily I predicted her death - not to the day, but while friends were musing over what else would happen in her royal soap opera, I said,

"She'll die in some spectacular way while still young and beautiful.  So she will become a legend. That would be bang in character.

Was discussing Diana at work an the obsession with her is like the fairytale. The Princess and the Pea. She fulfilled the concept of a real princess.

I did have to enter into an impromptu telling of the fairytale because some of my younger colleagues had never heard it.

3 hours ago, Toast said:

"She'll die in some spectacular way while still young and beautiful.  So she will become a legend. That would be bang in character."

Maybe we have to look at it from another angle.

She transformed the Royal family, in life and death, from completely unapproachable and aloof to more accessible and less mysterious.

To a degree, they ended up more like some of the European royal families and less like, well, what they had been for centuries, utter cunts.

Not too shabby in the end.

• Like 1

Or she was a manipulative sod who died because she couldn't be arsed to put on her seat belt. :D

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Toast said:

Charles will see it as his duty, just as his mother has.   There is no reason to force William to take up the burden before he has to.

And Charles is now being seen to have been very forward-thinking, and in tune with modern concerns.  He has been campaigning on green issues for decades, and was warning about plastics years ago. 

As for popularity, I think that as usual it's the haters that shout loudest. 

I have grown up with Charles and appreciate him, while as for William, I don't have much on which to base an opinion.

I have no reason to dislike Camilla.  On the contrary, she strikes me as a really nice person and probably a lot of fun.  I think it's a real shame that she and Charles didn't marry when they were young, but times were different and the old guard set some rigid standards.

There's some talk on TV during the latest Meghan fiasco and someone mentioned only Camila is less liked than Meghan.  Whether this is true or not I'm not sure. I really don't have a reason to hate Charles or Camila either.  I don't mind if Charles or William is king next to be honest. I do love Camila for this though. She shut down meghan's grandstanding at Charles birthday small wave 'see you soon' exit is that way 6:53

I do like Kate and William alot they come across as down to earth people. Even if behind closed doors they aren't,at least they're professional about their roles. 

1 hour ago, the_engineer said:

There's some talk on TV during the latest Meghan fiasco and someone mentioned only Camila is less liked than Meghan.  Whether this is true or not I'm not sure. I really don't have a reason to hate Charles or Camila either.  I don't mind if Charles or William is king next to be honest. I do love Camila for this though. She shut down meghan's grandstanding at Charles birthday small wave 'see you soon' exit is that way 6:53

I do like Kate and William alot they come across as down to earth people. Even if behind closed doors they aren't,at least they're professional about their roles. 

some one who likes game of thrown cant be all bad

• Like 1

On 16/11/2003 at 09:36, BirdieNumNums said:

If anyone deserves to die its that damn W**ker that QE2 is married to. Yep, you got it in one, Prince Philip ( Mountbatten) of "foot in mouth" fame. Apart from that, what else is he famous for? Marrying the Queen, big deal! The sooner that bugger is relegated to the earth, the happier I'll be. At his age, hopefully I shouldn't have too long to wait! *fingers crossed* cool.png

This didn't age well...

• Haha 3

On 16/11/2003 at 09:36, BirdieNumNums said:

If anyone deserves to die its that damn W**ker that QE2 is married to. Yep, you got it in one, Prince Philip ( Mountbatten) of "foot in mouth" fame. Apart from that, what else is he famous for? Marrying the Queen, big deal! The sooner that bugger is relegated to the earth, the happier I'll be. At his age, hopefully I shouldn't have too long to wait! *fingers crossed* cool.png

On 26/09/2019 at 11:35, Big Chungus said:

This didn't age well...

...Unfortunately... 

1 minute ago, derrickrscott@hotmail.com said:
On 16/11/2003 at 09:36, BirdieNumNums said:

If anyone deserves to die its that damn W**ker that QE2 is married to. Yep, you got it in one, Prince Philip ( Mountbatten) of "foot in mouth" fame. Apart from that, what else is he famous for? Marrying the Queen, big deal! The sooner that bugger is relegated to the earth, the happier I'll be. At his age, hopefully I shouldn't have too long to wait! *fingers crossed* cool.png

...Unfortunately... 

Stop jinxing it :bat:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, derrickrscott@hotmail.com said:
On 26/09/2019 at 11:35, Big Chungus said:

This didn't age well...

...Unfortunately...  

What's it to you?

It has been really quiet around the Duke in the last 6 months. He was seen carriage driving once in July, other than that I can't find anything. It could be that the media finally have grown tired of publishing the same boring stories over and over again. Or.. He could be on his way out? 

15 minutes ago, Seppuku said:

It has been really quiet around the Duke in the last 6 months. He was seen carriage driving once in July, other than that I can't find anything. It could be that the media finally have grown tired of publishing the same boring stories over and over again. Or.. He could be on his way out? 

We'll know for sure how he is whether or not he attends the Remembrance Day service this year. 

• Like 1

Prince Phillip is giving riding lessons to his Granddaughter as of recently, he has just retreated from the public.

https://www.ibtimes.com/prince-philip-vanishes-public-life-no-health-updates-until-hes-dead-2842336

34 minutes ago, ebless said:

We'll know for sure how he is whether or not he attends the Remembrance Day service this year. 

He won't go unless he wants to.  He's retired, so he doesn't have to.

2 hours ago, Seppuku said:

If Huw Edwards comes on the tv wearing a black tie we'll know we've had our 12th hit ! 

5 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

If Huw Edwards comes on the tv wearing a black tie we'll know we've had our 12th hit ! 

In time’s like these, one can hope

Not even on the balcony then … it's almost as if he's already dead. 

24 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Not even on the balcony then … it's almost as if he's already dead. 

Don’t think he was on the balcony last year though to be fair so wouldn’t take much out of that though I wouldn’t be surprised if he was ill as he hasn’t been seen round and about riding his horses on his land and the car crash from earlier this year is bound to have some lasting damage.

I thought he was last year, watching with the Queen - or was that two years ago? I know he's retired but I'd have thought this was the one thing he would have wanted to attend. There's an old soldier of 104 there today. 

8 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I thought he was last year, watching with the Queen - or was that two years ago? I know he's retired but I'd have thought this was the one thing he would have wanted to attend. There's an old soldier of 104 there today. 

No it said on TV this is his 2nd year of not attending. You would think he would want to attend but if he is ill which is probable to some extent given his age then he won’t want the cameras highlighting how frail or ill he looks. I don’t think we will see much of Philip now to be honest, we will just get updates on him been admitted to Hospital for some illness or news that he has died. I suppose he might be seen in June 2021 for his 100th Birthday if he makes it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fergie86 said:

No it said on TV this is his 2nd year of not attending. You would think he would want to attend but if he is ill which is probable to some extent given his age then he won’t want the cameras highlighting how frail or ill he looks. I don’t think we will see much of Philip now to be honest, we will just get updates on him been admitted to Hospital for some illness or news that he has died. I suppose he might be seen in June 2021 for his 100th Birthday if he makes it.

That’s a big if, if he does make it to his 100th birthday. The fact he hasn’t been pictured riding his horses around his estate is quite suspicious, considering we used to get regular updates and stories about it. I can understand the reasons in which he hasn’t attended for the 2nd year in a row, but there were veterans at the cenotaph this morning commemorating this special day. Something does smell quite fishy.  

OMG! Hope this won`t be another Bracknell situation where his death will be mentioned several weeks after the event. :huh:

8am news on radio 2 said that he was going to attend at the Cenotaph, now that he hasn't I wonder what will be said.