BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

Its why we still have The Trooping of The Colour etc, etc. French tourism is simply not comparable, as beautiful a Country as it is. Im sure there is data regarding tourism figures and I would imagine many a survey has been done to quantify who comes from where and why.

Not comparable at all. Would more people visit if they hadn't gone around revolting?:) I doubt it.

I wonder how important the current Royal family are to U.K. tourism? I would guess, not a lot. Off with their heads

It's not just the Royal family, its the whole aristocracy and the patronage - the peerages, knighthoods, order of the f*****g bath etc. It should all be swept away and replaced by Blue Peter badges. They gave a gold one to the Queen didn't they? That shows just how much the system stinks. What did she do to earn it? A bit of ruling? Anyone could do that. She could be left on the throne but stripped of her gold Blue Peter badge and that would send a message to the world that the Brits mean business.

Still wouldn't be a classless society though. Not every kid was an arselicking goody toeshoes worthy of a plastic badge with a ship on. Though I guess if I really wanted one I could buy one on ebay in much the same way as you can buy titles.

I used to be staunchly anti-monarchy, but time and distance has changed my thoughts on this. I still vehemently dislike the twerps, but, like has been said, the institution of the British Monarchy does bring a fair bit of money into the country. What I do dislike is that they are paid taxpayers money to remain there. I wouldn't have a problem with them if they used their own funds. they have enough, and if they didn't, then they should flog off some property or possessions just like the rest of the populace have to when times are tough. Live within your means, not off the state.

Having said that, the sooner Australia becomes a republic the better. I certainly don't see why my hard-earned dosh should be used to prop up a "constitutional" monarchy here after the last rigged referendum. Bastards.

I used to be staunchly anti-monarchy, but time and distance has changed my thoughts on this. I still vehemently dislike the twerps, but, like has been said, the institution of the British Monarchy does bring a fair bit of money into the country. What I do dislike is that they are paid taxpayers money to remain there. I wouldn't have a problem with them if they used their own funds. they have enough, and if they didn't, then they should flog off some property or possessions just like the rest of the populace have to when times are tough. Live within your means, not off the state.

The monarchy could be economically viable if the British Government allowed the monarchy to be funded by Crown Estates. These Estates earn over £100m per annum which is more than enough to fund the monarchy. If the monarchy did fund itself with the Crown Estates, they would have an extra £40m per year to treat themselves with.

Prince Chrles is a proponent of the above plan.

As Im now losing the will to live ( Im not used to posting seriously and with a degree of thought) I shall bow out.

As there have, in the past, been some compaints by some regarding "Quality" posting, they should now be satisfied!!!!!!!

If not, they can f**k off.

Well, if somebody wants to pick this one up where we left it, let me know :)

As Im now losing the will to live ( Im not used to posting seriously and with a degree of thought) I shall bow out.

As there have, in the past, been some compaints by some regarding "Quality" posting, they should now be satisfied!!!!!!!

If not, they can f**k off.

Well, if somebody wants to pick this one up where we left it, let me know :rolleyes:

OMG Have you see the travesty that is the Poundbury Estate ? It is Charles' dream development. It has no soul, no community and no litter. It is just not "real". Locally it is refered to as logo land and toy town. And you want him to foist this cr*p on the rest of the country to fund the royal family ???? ARRRRGGG !

Sorry had to get that off my chest.

Anyway - how ill is Prince Philip...

Could have been

I suppose...

:rolleyes:

Ah come on - lighten up. At least he wasn't racist.

I dont understand. What has he actually done wrong? He has some personality, the whole purpose of the royals now it seems is to bring publicity and tourism? That is the defence when people claim they are useless. Phillip is a character and is likely to bring more interest than some of our royals.

I dont understand. What has he actually done wrong? He has some personality, the whole purpose of the royals now it seems is to bring publicity and tourism? That is the defence when people claim they are useless. Phillip is a character and is likely to bring more interest than some of our royals.

He asked a black guy if he can tell these other (white) politicians apart. It is like me saying that all blacks/asians/whatever look alike to me. See?

Regarding the tourism argument, there are no confirmed figures. Again, look at the French example. By the way: I didn't always live in the UK, but visited numerous times before moving here. The monarchy was never a factor that influenced my choice to visit, so there.

He asked a black guy if he can tell these other (white) politicians apart. It is like me saying that all blacks/asians/whatever look alike to me. See?

Regarding the tourism argument, there are no confirmed figures. Again, look at the French example. By the way: I didn't always live in the UK, but visited numerous times before moving here. The monarchy was never a factor that influenced my choice to visit, so there.

Just goes to show that it's all about how someone perceives something - my perception of that clip is that he wasn't talking about telling the difference because of their looks, but because they're all boring - Obama said something like 'I didn't nod off in any of them'. I don't think it was anything to do with race at all. Just my opinion.

1. I don't see the Queen making a big deal about the 'embrace'. If you have a problem, bring it up with the media.

2. Not all tourists are left wing Argentinians, thus you are hardly representative.

3. Since when did David Cameron look Chinese? It was simply a figure of speech to suggest that the President must have been tired (if you put it in its context).

4. You only need to look at the tourist figures around points of interest. I can't think why anybody would want to go to London were it not for the Royal Link.

1. I don't see the Queen making a big deal about the 'embrace'. If you have a problem, bring it up with the media.

2. Not all tourists are left wing Argentinians, thus you are hardly representative.

3. Since when did David Cameron look Chinese? It was simply a figure of speech to suggest that the President must have been tired (if you put it in its context).

4. You only need to look at the tourist figures around points of interest. I can't think why anybody would want to go to London were it not for the Royal Link.

I have been to London with foreigners. I have not however been to royal sites with foreigners. There are other facets to the capital you know. Perhaps you should try it out :rolleyes:

I don't think his comment was racist, I am with the following on from the nodding off phrase. However if it did mean that all white men look the same then fantastic. That evens out his comments at Indians 1 Chinese 1 Caucasians 1 (from those I remember). He of course does not look like the President of Russia as he is not white but greco-lizard.

P.S. The military junta was never a factor that influenced my family to live in Buenos Aires when I was young. :)

1) I didn't say the queen said it was a problem. I am saying that the papers are reporting "a breach of protocol" because she was touched. The queen isn't supposed to be touched like "normal" people (?!)

2) How dare you? I am not left wing at all. What an assumption to make! Since when are we getting personal here?

3) Never said Cameron looked Chinese, only of a diferent ethnic origin to Obama. As in "all whites must look the same to Barak Obama".

4) People would still go to Windsor and Bucks house if there was no monarchy. The buildings are there already, and that is what people go to see. I know that is why I did, same as with Schoenbrunn in Vienna and Versailles in Paris.

1) I didn't say the queen said it was a problem. I am saying that the papers are reporting "a breach of protocol" because she was touched. The queen isn't supposed to be touched like "normal" people (?!)

2) How dare you? I am not left wing at all. What an assumption to make! Since when are we getting personal here?

3) Never said Cameron looked Chinese, only of a diferent ethnic origin to Obama. As in "all whites must look the same to Barak Obama".

4) People would still go to Windsor and Bucks house if there was no monarchy. The buildings are there already, and that is what people go to see. I know that is why I did, same as with Schoenbrunn in Vienna and Versailles in Paris.

1. It is a breach of protocol. Albeit an informal and insignificant breach. It has absolutely nothing to do with class on commonality.

2. You certainly sound left wing to me.

3. If you actually listened to what was being said, Obama mentioned a list of people including the Chinese and David Cameron. The Duke of Edinburgh's comment had nothing to do with the President thinking that all non-blacks (whatever) look alike.

4) The fact that Britain still has a Royal Family raises the profile of Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace. The fact is that the Royal Family are an attraction. You only have to look at the Royal junk in all the tourist shops.

Storming Buck House and sacking Windsor Castle would surely make then into more contemporary tourist attractions. The tower is losing touch with the 21st century - the spot where Phil the Greek was hung, drawn and quartered and the ginger prince had a forced paternity test would bring the septic dollar flooding in.

Got to go see who's breaking down my front door...

I agree with Windsor.

Why are we still obsessed with what comes out of Prince Phillips mouth? the man puts his foot in it all the time, mildly entertaining at best.

Besides they are meeting at Buckingham Palace, and a man shouldn't have to censor himself in his own home.

President Obama seemed to smile at the remark.

1. It is a breach of protocol. Albeit an informal and insignificant breach. It has absolutely nothing to do with class on commonality.

3. If you actually listened to what was being said, Obama mentioned a list of people including the Chinese and David Cameron. The Duke of Edinburgh's comment had nothing to do with the President thinking that all non-blacks (whatever) look alike.

4) The fact that Britain still has a Royal Family raises the profile of Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace. The fact is that the Royal Family are an attraction. You only have to look at the Royal junk in all the tourist shops.

A brief reply to you:

I am not a leftie, I am a libertarian... and you certainly sound like a t***er to me, Windsor!

On that note, I am using this opportunity to say "goodbye and thanks for all the fish".

I am leaving the DL for several reasons:

The improper comments from one of the male mods about my body.

The crap I got from LFN about not attending the last DL meet. I had strong personal reasons and didn't feel like sharing them, thanks a lot.

The fact that people get personal, and make assumptions. I am talking about a system, and what I see as its issues.... and then some wan*** like Windsor decides he knows what kind of person I am? WTF!?

I guess I thought I was amongst like minded people. My mistake.

See you next week then.

A brief reply to you:

I am not a leftie, I am a libertarian... and you certainly sound like a t***er to me, Windsor!

On that note, I am using this opportunity to say "goodbye and thanks for all the fish".

The crap I got from LFN about not attending the last DL meet. I had strong personal reasons and didn't feel like sharing them, thanks a lot.

The fact that people get personal, and make assumptions. I am talking about a system, and what I see as its issues.... and then some wan*** like Windsor decides he knows what kind of person I am? WTF!?

With utmost respect, I think you're throwing your toys out of the pram rather hastily here.

You can't post pictures of your body on the internet and then moan because someone comments. If he had said he thought your tattoos were lovely, would you be complaining? I think not.

LFN f**ked off in his own huff a couple of weeks ago and hasn't been seen on here since, unless he's posting as a guest or a multiple-ID-muppet.

There's a couple of w**nkers on here, but Windsor ain't one of them. Sure, he might have some funny ideas sometimes, but isn't diversity and debate what makes this site? What would be the point of a discussion forum if you didn't discuss and have different opinions on the vast array of subjects going on at any one time?

Some people take this place far too seriously.

A brief reply to you:

With utmost respect, I think you're throwing your toys out of the pram rather hastily here.

You can't post pictures of your body on the internet and then moan because someone comments. If he had said he thought your tattoos were lovely, would you be complaining? I think not.

LFN f**ked off in his own huff a couple of weeks ago and hasn't been seen on here since, unless he's posting as a guest or a multiple-ID-muppet.

There's a couple of w**nkers on here, but Windsor ain't one of them. Sure, he might have some funny ideas sometimes, but isn't diversity and debate what makes this site? What would be the point of a discussion forum if you didn't discuss and have different opinions on the vast array of subjects going on at any one time?

Some people take this place far too seriously.

Not to mention that male mod access to the DLXX was stopped because of said complaint. Anyway, back on topic, I always thought his quote "If a man opens a car door for a woman, it's either a new woman or a new car" was pretty funny.

If this is the case, this is a shame. :)

DDLM, you know my thinkings on both of the above, as I have discussed it with you, DL XX has been banned to all male mods anyway, and LFN.... well, let him stew. I know why you couldn't do it & that's a valid enough reason at the best of times.

I hope you reconsider & stay here. Although I must admit if you have already left, this message is a bit of a waste of time really.

Even though one or two members piss me off here, I'd still like to see them around - it's always a shame to lose individual voices with different thoughts.

Yes, please stay, Dia! count me in as another who will miss you if you go.