#41 Banshees Scream

Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:44 PM

I have no idols.

I never had an idol. JD Salinger once said he felt it is wrong to name whome he admired unless they were dead, I agree at a certain extent.

#42 TLC

TLC

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:37 PM

I have no idols.

I never had an idol. JD Salinger once said he felt it is wrong to name whome he admired unless they were dead, I agree at a certain extent.

I have no idols either.

I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadow. If I fail, if I succeed, at least I live as I believe.

No matter what they take from me, they can't take away my dignity.

Sorry, must go, my lighter has run out.
'I know a man named Hank,
he has more rhymes than a serious bank'

#43 Banshees Scream

Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:41 PM

I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadow. If I fail, if I succeed, at least I live as I believe.

But I guess the core of this topic would be 'What is an idol in your eyes?' It can be looked at differently.

#44 No Mere Nosebleed

No Mere Nosebleed

Morbid interest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

I'm convinced that Phil's on his way out, but that's probably more hope than anything else. "Hope" because I'm in the mood for a nice state funeral, and also because I'd like to see the Queen's attitude to mourning - will she take the Victoria approach, don black garments on a permanent basis, and cloister herself away for her own duration?
The footless path has many leghorns.

#45 M.Lawrenson

M.Lawrenson

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:51 PM

I'm convinced that Phil's on his way out, but that's probably more hope than anything else. "Hope" because I'm in the mood for a nice state funeral, and also because I'd like to see the Queen's attitude to mourning - will she take the Victoria approach, don black garments on a permanent basis, and cloister herself away for her own duration?

I can't see the Queen being a widow for 39 years, myself. Anyway, there's no reason why Phil shouldn't make his 90s. He doesn't have a history of poor health and he seems active enough at the moment. Genetics is on his side too - his mother lived to 86 and his grandmother to 87. In fact, looking through his relatives you can see that most live to very old age as long as no-one assassinated them (as happened to his uncle, his grandfather and two great aunts).

#46 dave

dave

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

I think he'll die in his 90s.He shows no sign of major ill health right now since hes able to walk about ok and stuff
I now feel ready to return to deathlist.My return will bring many hits,if the moderators let m e return

#47 DevonDeathTrip

DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4560 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

A lovely article about Prince Philip and how, in one part of the world, he is believed to be immortal, the son of an ancient spirit who inhabits a nearby mountain.

"Despite worshipping the prince for half a century, the villagers [...] only learnt recently that his birthday falls on June 10. Ambitious plans are under way to celebrate the occasion this year.

There will be dancing and a feast. Chief Jack Naiva has acquired a Union Jack, which will be raised and saluted. But the celebrations will only really be complete if Prince Philip turns up, say the tribespeople.

"You must tell King Philip that I'm getting old and I want him to come and visit me before I die," said the white-haired chief, who thinks he is about 80. "If he can't come perhaps he could send us something: a Land Rover, bags of rice or a little money"

They may beg, they may plead, they may argue with my logic

And mention all the things I'll lose that really have no value

In the end they will surely know, I wasn't born to follow

#48 DevonDeathTrip

DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4560 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:12 PM

A lovely article about Prince Philip and how, in one part of the world, he is believed to be immortal, the son of an ancient spirit who inhabits a nearby mountain.

"Despite worshipping the prince for half a century, the villagers [...] only learnt recently that his birthday falls on June 10. Ambitious plans are under way to celebrate the occasion this year.

There will be dancing and a feast. Chief Jack Naiva has acquired a Union Jack, which will be raised and saluted. But the celebrations will only really be complete if Prince Philip turns up, say the tribespeople.

"You must tell King Philip that I'm getting old and I want him to come and visit me before I die," said the white-haired chief, who thinks he is about 80. "If he can't come perhaps he could send us something: a Land Rover, bags of rice or a little money"

They may beg, they may plead, they may argue with my logic

And mention all the things I'll lose that really have no value

In the end they will surely know, I wasn't born to follow

#49 Monoclinic

Monoclinic

Missing in Action

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:06 PM

Cargo cults are the in thing with hacks at the mo then. I read about the John Frum cult on the BBC the other day.

Must be a slow news week what with Harry being posted to Iraq, Britney having a grade 0, Italian prime minister resigning and collosial squid being caught in antarctic waters...

#50 Phantom

Phantom

Maryport resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7237 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

Isn't he also related to Vlad the impaler going back about 14-15 generations?

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.

-------

A good line never dies, It just smells funny

----
Phantom's Pick 'n' Mix 0/20

Macaulay Culkin (joker), Terry Jones, Tony Booth,  Fats Domino, Gordon Banks, Jimmy Greaves, Robert M. Pirsig, Patricia Hitchcock, Ian St. John, Jerry Maren, Art Bell,  Ian Brady, Peter Sutcliffe, D.J. Fontana, Billy Graham, Nick Clifford, Liz Dawn, Sylvia Miles, Glen Glenn, Wanda Jackson

Sad Last Days (Theme Team) 0/20 - 

1. Macaulay Culkin (Joker), 2, Bill Clinton , 3. Sean Connory, 4. Roger Moore, 5.  Ursula Andress, 6. Kirk Douglas, 7. Angela Lansbury, 8. Mary Tyler Moore, 9. Linda Ronstadt, 10. Kenny Rogers, 11. James Caan, 12. Sophia Loren. 13.  George H.W. Bush, 14.  Doris Day, 15. Cher, 16. Jerry Lee Lewis, 17.  Priscilla Presley18. Burt Reynolds, 19, Phil Spector 20. Bill Cosby

2017 Shadow List

1/50

Nobby Stiles, Kenny Sansom, , Gordon Banks,  Daisy Berkowitz, Tom "Dynamite Kid" Billington, Tony Booth, Ian Brady, Leah Bracknell, George H.W Bush, Puerra Cardin, Jacques Chirac, Beverly Cleary, Nick Clifford, Liz Dawn, Gerard Depardieu, Bob Dole, Clarissa Eden, Janet Fielding, June Foray, Bruce Forsyth, Gaston Glock, Billy Graham, "Superstar" Billy Graham, Jimmy Greaves, Rolf Harris, Patricia Hitchcock, Clare Hollingworth, Clive James, Terry Jones, Helmut Kohl, Jerry Maren, Sylvia Miles, Joni Mitchell, Walter Mondale, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Robert Mugabe, Denis Norden, Leslie Phillips, Don Rickles, Sonny Rollins, Peter Sallis, Dudley Simpson, Ian St. John, Prunella Scales, Jackie Stallone,Stefan Karl Stefansson, Peter Sutcliffe, William Woodson

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2016 - 74th - DDP 2015 - 29th - DDP 2014 4/20 - Joint 71st , DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th, DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

#51 M.Lawrenson

M.Lawrenson

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:31 PM

Not sure, but it's eminently possible. Possibly a clue could be found here.

#52 Phantom

Phantom

Maryport resident

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7237 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:37 PM

I found this story although it only indicates that Prince Charles is related doesn't mention Philip though

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.

-------

A good line never dies, It just smells funny

----
Phantom's Pick 'n' Mix 0/20

Macaulay Culkin (joker), Terry Jones, Tony Booth,  Fats Domino, Gordon Banks, Jimmy Greaves, Robert M. Pirsig, Patricia Hitchcock, Ian St. John, Jerry Maren, Art Bell,  Ian Brady, Peter Sutcliffe, D.J. Fontana, Billy Graham, Nick Clifford, Liz Dawn, Sylvia Miles, Glen Glenn, Wanda Jackson

Sad Last Days (Theme Team) 0/20 - 

1. Macaulay Culkin (Joker), 2, Bill Clinton , 3. Sean Connory, 4. Roger Moore, 5.  Ursula Andress, 6. Kirk Douglas, 7. Angela Lansbury, 8. Mary Tyler Moore, 9. Linda Ronstadt, 10. Kenny Rogers, 11. James Caan, 12. Sophia Loren. 13.  George H.W. Bush, 14.  Doris Day, 15. Cher, 16. Jerry Lee Lewis, 17.  Priscilla Presley18. Burt Reynolds, 19, Phil Spector 20. Bill Cosby

2017 Shadow List

1/50

Nobby Stiles, Kenny Sansom, , Gordon Banks,  Daisy Berkowitz, Tom "Dynamite Kid" Billington, Tony Booth, Ian Brady, Leah Bracknell, George H.W Bush, Puerra Cardin, Jacques Chirac, Beverly Cleary, Nick Clifford, Liz Dawn, Gerard Depardieu, Bob Dole, Clarissa Eden, Janet Fielding, June Foray, Bruce Forsyth, Gaston Glock, Billy Graham, "Superstar" Billy Graham, Jimmy Greaves, Rolf Harris, Patricia Hitchcock, Clare Hollingworth, Clive James, Terry Jones, Helmut Kohl, Jerry Maren, Sylvia Miles, Joni Mitchell, Walter Mondale, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Robert Mugabe, Denis Norden, Leslie Phillips, Don Rickles, Sonny Rollins, Peter Sallis, Dudley Simpson, Ian St. John, Prunella Scales, Jackie Stallone,Stefan Karl Stefansson, Peter Sutcliffe, William Woodson

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2016 - 74th - DDP 2015 - 29th - DDP 2014 4/20 - Joint 71st , DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th, DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

#53 M.Lawrenson

M.Lawrenson

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:44 PM

I found this story although it only indicates that Prince Charles is related doesn't mention Philip though

The article says that Charlie's great-grandmother (Queen Mary) was a descendent of Vlad. Not sure about that, but Queen Mary's grandmother was a daughter of a Transylvanian count.

#54 football_fan

football_fan

I have no life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2617 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

Prince Philip in belly-dancer insult gaffe
"A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer". <br />- Robert Frost

#55 Youth in Asia

Youth in Asia

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:39 PM

Everyone is related to everyone if you go back about 2000 generations

"All the time, all the wasted time
All the years, waiting for a sign"

Barry Manilow 1978

2016 - 39th

2015 - 59th
2014 - 267th
2013 - 235th
2012 - 167th
2011 - 44th
2010 - 355th
2009 - 27th
2008 - 70th
2007 - 176th

ALLAH AKBAR ... closes eyes ... (bang)

#56 Star Crossed

Star Crossed

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

Or if you visit New Pitsligo.
A lesson from history.
Tdonkleys snakc on Cnocolate and Cumcumber
"El hombre es dueño de su silencio, pero prisionero de sus palabras" - Argentinian proverb.
"Maybe they filmed the poltergeist on a cursed children berialground without knowing it." - Vaagheid
'Patience is the support of weakness; impatience the ruin of strength'

#57 Lard Bazaar

Lard Bazaar

Bang! And the dirt is gone!

• Members
  • 4367 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

Or Devizes.

#58 Guest_me_*

Guest_me_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:14 PM

he aint gonna die any time soon is he

#59 Deathcorner

Deathcorner

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

he aint gonna die any time soon is he

With someone of his age, you cannot say that he isn't going to die anytime soon, but I think it very unlikely. I'm sure he'll still be here in five years time...

#60 Windsor

Windsor

LFN Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6518 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

Or Devizes.

Indeed, everybody is related to everybody in New Pitsligo.

As for everybody being realted to everyone else, we can measure this by the amount to people who claim to have a connection to Charlemagne. There are a good few people in the geneaology circles claiming descent from him. I'm about 42/43 generations down from him.
Being related to everybody does have a downside. I was horrified to find that Princess Diana was one of my very distant cousins.

Anyway. The Duke of Edinburgh is is great health for his age but at 87 he can't have that much more left in him. I think he will be dead by 90 though. Just a hunch.

Shadow List 2017

Leah Bracknell, Sir Bruce Forsyth, Buzz Aldrin, Greg Gilbert, Jim Bowen, Billy Graham, Clive James, Glen Campbell, Robert Mugabe, Steve Sumner, Liz Dawn, Donald J. Trump, Olivia de Havilland, Jimmy Snuka, Richard Wilson, Sean Connery, Gerald Kaufman, Pruella Scales, Stephen Hawking, Desmond Tutu, Mario Soares, Duke of Edinburgh, George H. W. Bush, Dick van Dyke, Henry Kissinger, Gordon Banks, Paul Gascoigne, Lady Saltoun of Abernethy, Ian Brady, Valerie Harper, Lord Snowdon, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, King Michael of Romania, Stuart Hall, Eileen Derbyshire, Leslie Phillips, Keith Richards, Hosni Mubarak, Jalal Talabani, Grand Duke Jean, Dame Vera Lynn, Rolf Harris, John Williams, Giorgio Napolitano, Pope Benedict XVI, Jimmy Grieves, Bob Dole, Peter Sallis, Hugh Hefner, Kirk Douglas.​

2009: 13/50, 2010: 10/50, 2011: 9/50, 2012: 15/50, 2013:16/50, 2014: 10/50, 2015: 7/50, 2016: 10/50, 2017: 3/50.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users