BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

5 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

I agree but that said it wouldn't be as an arduous process for them to change it nowadays  compared to 30/40 years ago

It wouldn't be but they simply wouldn't send them to the BBC until the embargo ends.

Nope, Sky news are gonna talk about tomorrow's newspapers in 30 minutes.

Another false alarm. Not too surprising but hey, someday it won't be a false alarm

Nigel's big annoucement is that the CCP are apparently taking over the British education system..

• Like 1

I always presumed it was luck of the draw as to who announced it. Whoever is hanging about at the right time...

I've 'eard from me dad's mate's colleague's cousin that the beeb will announce the ol' geezers snuffed it at 10.30

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Dying Probably said:
33 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

According to several tweets death is supposed to be declared at 10pm

That is when BBC News is next on..

All very well, but you forgot one simple thing.

Most people on twitter are cocks. Cocks who are now having breakdowns that they weren't able to visit their dying grannies in hospital (who they mostly never bothered their arses with before the pandemic) and how unfair it is to them that Prince Charles is allowed to visit HIS dad just because they are Royalty! 'Do they think they are special like?'

Cocks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Switched on the bbc news at 10pm and saw a smiling news presenter. i'd switched off before she even said anything...

What we need is Gibbo and his whatsapp group chat to get to the bottom of all the rumours

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Nope because it airs at 1/2am UK time.

You've clearly never heard of 24 hour news 

5 minutes ago, trickmilk said:

Another false alarm. Not too surprising but hey, someday it won't be a false alarm

Thing is, when it's not a false alarm, we'll already know it's not a false alarm because we'll have been told in the days before: 'Buckingham Palace has announced that The Duke of Edinburgh is reaching the end of his life...'

That's how it's been done for a century, I can't imagine they'd stop now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Thing is, when it's not a false alarm, we'll already know it's not a false alarm because we'll have been told in the days before: 'Buckingham Palace has announced that The Duke of Edinburgh is reaching the end of his life...'

That's how it's been done for a century, I can't imagine they'd stop now.

I don't recall that with the Queen Mother. And clearly King George VI died unexpectedly. 

The last time they made an announcement like that was 1936 and thats because they euthanised the poor bugger just to make the papers...

3 minutes ago, Windsor said:

I don't recall that with the Queen Mother. And clearly King George VI died unexpectedly. 

The last time they made an announcement like that was 1936 and thats because they euthanised the poor bugger just to make the papers...

Queen Mary got announcements like that going by the Pathe news film on You Tube.

The Queen Mother was meant to get them but didn't.

According to the forth bridge down twitter mob death was supposed to be announced at 10pm now 10.30 blimey is it a royal death or a last minute deal on transfer deadline day

Would be interested to see the viewing figures for tonight's News at 10 compared to the previous few night's (especially if there's figures that show the "switching off" at 10:05 once Reeta Chakrabarti didn't deliver the goods). 

Will give a good idea of how many ghouls are out there!

I was only a little kid at the time so I don't remember directly. If I recall correctly, whilst there were mumbling about the Queen Mother in the hours before her passing, there was no official statements in the lead up to her passing. 

I think if he was going to die the Prince of Wales would've stayed put. If he had some sort of terminal illness they wouldn't have removed him from home so the Queen could be at his bedside when he died. Even if she hates the arsehole, its the best PR to have her with him when he died to keep the myth alive that they are a devoted couple.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Windsor said:

I don't recall that with the Queen Mother.

No,  I remember that quite clearly because I was in the house of the old boy next door.  He was a fan of the QM (she had spoken to him a few times at the races).

The TV was on, and there was something like "We are going over to the newsroom for an important announcement".

He was like, whatever can it be? - and I said straight away, "The Queen Mother's died."  It just seemed the most likely thing.

When I said it, he went "No! " in disbelief as if it was impossible that an old woman of 101 might have died .... :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Whilst we're on the topic of the announcement of a royal passing, I've just remembered this documentary which aired on ITV some years ago. There's a section where they cover what it was like to report on the death of the Queen Mother:

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the Forth/London Bridge codenames would have been changed ages ago.

2 minutes ago, dodrade said:

I'm pretty sure the Forth/London Bridge codenames would have been changed ages ago.

The don't need to change them. They aren't going to take twitters word for it.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Windsor said:

I always presumed it was luck of the draw as to who announced it. Whoever is hanging about at the right time...

That's an interesting one. Peter Sissons announced the Queen Mother's death but don't know if he just happened to be on presenting duties that day anyway

Martyn Lewis was called into to front the coverage relating to Diana. Granted that was in the middle of the night

This article from the Daily Mail in February 2002 says she was too unwell to visit her husband's grave due to an illness. To pull out just one quote: 

The 101-year-old great-grandmother has been bedridden for six weeks since contracting a virus. This has developed into a chest infection and the Queen Mother is suffering from a severe and persistent cough and is hardly eating.

If this forum had been around in this form in 2002, you'd all be pretty clear she wasn't long for this world, long before the announcement of her death - and she never went to hospital. If Philip's ill enough to be in hospital, they'd tell us he was close to dying. I'll be astonished if not. The Queen Mother died about 6 weeks later.

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:
17 minutes ago, Windsor said:

This article from the Daily Mail in February 2002 says she was too unwell to visit her husband's grave due to an illness. To pull out just one quote: 

The 101-year-old great-grandmother has been bedridden for six weeks since contracting a virus. This has developed into a chest infection and the Queen Mother is suffering from a severe and persistent cough and is hardly eating.

If this forum had been around in this form in 2002, you'd all be pretty clear she wasn't long for this world, long before the announcement of her death - and she never went to hospital. If Philip's ill enough to be in hospital, they'd tell us he was close to dying. I'll be astonished if not. The Queen Mother died about 6 weeks later

Yes, but in the days before her death the Royal Household didn't issue a statement saying "Aye, she's fucked noo".

5 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

That's an interesting one. Peter Sissons announced the Queen Mother's death but don't know if he just happened to be on presenting duties that day anyway

Martyn Lewis was called into to front the coverage relating to Diana. Granted that was in the middle of the night

As said in the documentary I shared above, it was a regular news day. As a result, it fell to whomever was on duty that day. Martyn Lewis covered Diana, but he was called in and when the death was first confirmed, it was the person who was presenting on the BBC's international news channel.