BirdieNumNums

Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

So a Knight of the Order of Australia? What's unusual about that?

To be honest, as a citizen of a country where royal titles, peerages and knighthoods were abolished decades ago, I have to confess that I am not the greatest fan of the royal family. For me, Prince Phillip always seemed like a lucky but utterly useless halfwit, who married well but didn't really have a proper job (or genuine achievements) at any time in his life, and someone who (along with his grandkid Harry) periodically embarasses the countries of which his wife is a sovereign with his gaffes and stupidity.

I also knew that he was already well decorated, so what does a 456th medal/title even mean to him? And knowing that his wife is the sovereign of Australia, I thought that he would be knighted either by her or his own son, Charles, which seemed like a ridiculous idea.

All in all, it may not be unusual, but for me, it seemed like a waste of a perfectly good opportunity to honour someone with... well, some actual achievements or efforts put into making Australia a better place.

I'm putting you on my list of enemies...

Now that is a true honour.

• Like 2

Okay he's far from perfect. He's made a LOT of blunders in the past. Some were in jest, some were just out of sheer carelessness, ignorance and stupidity. But he's 94, born in the early 1920s! His ignorant views on the world around us are typical of many in the pre-war generations. I know my own gran comes away with some corkers and everyone at the dinner table bites their lip!

But give the man his dues - he has a commendable service to the Royal Navy, has been a loyal consort to Elizabeth II - supporting her in her duties for over 60 years, and he's helped raise millions for charities and organisations that a non-ceremonial figurehead of state just wouldn't be able to do.

I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. It seems to me that a lot of gobshites, like most of the parliamentary Labor Party in Australia are just trying to score cheap political points by appealing to the feckless republicans who simply don't understand the royal family, and are utterly clueless to the hard work and immense contributions they've made to the world.

If you want rid of the royal family then go for it. Become yet another boring republic on the face of the map with another layer or bureaucracy and another halfwit careerist politician at the top of the chain, with far too many powers for one individual (like the US president), whereas the powers of the royal family are on the contrary - watered down and largely theoretical. More democratic in my eyes.

This reminds me of what Clive James had to say on the prospect of Australia becoming a republic. He said that he would be minded to stand for the role of president because he could envisage two possibilities. Firstly the post would purely be ceremonial and would just require someone charasmatic with could communications skills for which he felt he would be perfectly qualified or it would be a post of real power and the thought of anyone else doing it terrified him.

I do not think that Australia should just dismiss the prospect of Republicanism but it should be part of a discussion about what Australians want Australia to be. I think even the Queen would accept that concept.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

you're a fan of his then? according to the analysts he's living on borrowed time and will be gone within months. Do you agree?

Now that the LNP are doing badly and Abbott's in so much trouble, John Elliott's idiot son is calling to Australia to become a benign dictatorship instead in Murdoch's Herlad Sun: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/we-need-real-leadership-and-real-democracy-from-our-politicians/story-fni0ffsx-1227210964051?nk=184bc5df211f089de4f1c08e5935dccf

Maybe Prince Philip could be our dictated. (BTW, for the Englsih/Dutch/whoever reading this, John Elliott was a corrupt businessman. His son, who wrote this article calling for a dictatorship, is an investment banker and part-time media commentator. They are both prominent within the LNP...)

Now that the LNP are doing badly and Abbott's in so much trouble, John Elliott's idiot son is calling to Australia to become a benign dictatorship instead in Murdoch's Herlad Sun: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/we-need-real-leadership-and-real-democracy-from-our-politicians/story-fni0ffsx-1227210964051?nk=184bc5df211f089de4f1c08e5935dccf

That's a rather tired idea. One I occasionally have sympathy with when observing our politicians' ordinary ways, but nevertheless a bad one. Dictatorships, benign or otherwise, turn genocidal.

regards,

Hein

That's a rather tired idea. One I occasionally have sympathy with when observing our politicians' ordinary ways, but nevertheless a bad one. Dictatorships, benign or otherwise, turn genocidal.

regards,

Hein

Yes but in this case he is calling for it because we the people were too stupid to vote for the right party. Totally agree about them turning genocidal.

Guest Guest

Global news networks have been put on alert for an imminent 'solemn and g rave announcement' from Buckingham Palace.Rumours flying around that Prince Philip has just died :(

Global news networks have been put on alert for an imminent 'solemn and g rave announcement' from Buckingham Palace.Rumours flying around that Prince Philip has just died :(

Bit late for that April fools joke.

Surely he'd want to stay alive to visit the home of UK monarchy, Germany, in June.

Guest Guest

shit. was it that obvious?

Surely he'd want to stay alive to visit the home of UK monarchy, Germany, in June.

State visit coming up? He's bound to mention the war.

• Like 1

How many times have we told you to ef'off

You're a 5hit.

Please don't come back till you have at least two working brains cells to rub together...

How many times have we told you to ef'off

You're a 5hit.

Please don't come back till you have at least two working brains cells to rub together...

Ali, I fear the only thing this twat rubs together is the palm of his hand and his tiny penis.

• Like 1

I was wondering what would happen if DOE upped and died the weekend before the election.

The election is an administerative and financial juggernaut which couldn't be halted but how would the parties deal with the combination of mourning and turmoil as well as the media outlets being massively distracted.

Guest Guest

I was wondering what would happen if DOE upped and died the weekend before the election.

The election is an administerative and financial juggernaut which couldn't be halted but how would the parties deal with the combination of mourning and turmoil as well as the media outlets being massively distracted.

the election would go ahead but campaigning for it would have to be cancelled or scaled down.So let's start praying for a royal death ASAP !

This story is a little old and probably fake, but what a laugh!

http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/2015/queen-elizabeth-orders-prince-charles-divorce-camilla-parker-bowles-after-drunk-palace-fight-injures-prince-philip/

A drunken, raging Camilla beat up poor, old Prince Phillip!

WOW, this story definitely sounds fake but pretty amusing at the same time.

The weirdest bit is probably the following: "With Camilla Parker-Bowles ousted and her and Prince Charles imminent divorce underway, Queen Elizabeth is determined to appoint Prince William to the Throne before she has no choice but to step down whether or not Prince William and Kate Middleton will take on the responsibility willingly is an entirely different story."

1. Appoint Bill to the throne? Wasn't there an established order of succession in Britain? I would accept that she would want to remove Charles if he doesn't obtain a divorce, but if he does divorce Camilla, why would she do this to him anyways?

2. Before she has no choice but to step down - wait a minute, exactly how many royals resigned on health grounds? I don't remember any. Why couldn't she wait until she passes away? It's not like her son/grandson couldn't act as a regent while she's incapacitated...

In the most respectful way possible; both he and to some extent the Queen looked as though they could cark it by election day at the Gallipoli centenary this morning. If the Queen does I'm pretty sure the election would be postponed, although I think the custom of holding a new election upon the monarchs death has now been discarded which would avoid the financial catastrophe for the parties if she went after the election. Prince Philip's death would likely not post-pone the election, but national days of mourning would no doubt be declared - meaning no political campaigning, presumably his state funeral would be held after we have a prime minister or we could see a 2010esque situation with the war memorial in which all three leaders have to parade along, which would be bizarre at a funeral. Note to everyone: don't create threads to discuss these possibilities on Digital Spy; they don't like you asking and will eventually ban you when you start considering minor royals.

• Like 1

Anyone else reckon it's sweepstake time for ole Phil the Greek.

September 1st 2015

Well, this is a tough one... but I'll go for May 6, 2016.

Guest awesome guest

Anyone else reckon it's sweepstake time for ole Phil the Greek.

September 1st 2015

I think you're being hasty but I predict October 10