Estuarian Float

Reality TV

These people sit on their arse for hours every single night watching telly. Are we really surprised?

I saw the son from that family wander into a branch of Lush in Brighton once and the staff there treated him like he was James Dean in 55.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

These people sit on their arse for hours every single night watching telly. Are we really surprised?

They don't actually (well, more than anyone else) - it's all filmed on the one day, with changes of clothes to make it look "as live". And iirc if its a film, they only show them the segments they want a reaction off of.

But yeah, there's a number of them I'd have assumed would have gone earlier based on basic health. The Tapper dad (who had Covid iirc) and the Siddiqui's dad (who is in his late 70s, retired, and aged considerably last time I watched the show) for two.

4 minutes ago, msc said:

They don't actually (well, more than anyone else) - it's all filmed on the one day, with changes of clothes to make it look "as live". And iirc if its a film, they only show them the segments they want a reaction off of.

But yeah, there's a number of them I'd have assumed would have gone earlier based on basic health. The Tapper dad (who had Covid iirc) and the Siddiqui's dad (who is in his late 70s, retired, and aged considerably last time I watched the show) for two.

So is it basically all staged then? I suspected as much when I saw them reacting to the death of Prince Philip, when they all "just so happened to be" on their sofas when the news broke of his death. Iirc, his death was announced around midday?!

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

So is it basically all staged then? I suspected as much when I saw them reacting to the death of Prince Philip, when they all "just so happened to be" on their sofas when the news broke of his death. Iirc, his death was announced around midday?!

There's very little 'real' about reality TV. Lets face it 99% of us have really boring lives 99% of the time.

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

12.04 exact, thanks to time stamps on this forum. (I legit thought I'd break the news and suddenly, Thatcher beat me by seconds, but I digress...)

And yes, completely staged. (And yes, given most of them still work actual jobs and it was a Friday lunch time when Philip was announced!)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I saw the son from that family wander into a branch of Lush in Brighton once and the staff there treated him like he was James Dean in 55.

Lush? Rather you than me!

• Like 1

Incidentally, Mr Michael's wife is responsible for one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard on that show when she said she didn't want treated by nurses if she went to hospital as "nurses have never saved anyone's life, only doctors can" and her own kids looked at her like she was a daft sod.

19 minutes ago, time said:

There's very little 'real' about reality TV. Lets face it 99% of us have really boring lives 99% of the time.

Channel 4 has always been the most disingenuous of TV stations, with its 'edgy' documentaries feigning concern over socio-sexual issues when all the channel really wants is ratings from prurient viewers. Not to mention the dismal  'social experiments' like Big Brother/Naked Attraction/Gogglebox etc. I remember their Red Triangle film strand - yes yes we want to show important arty Euro films, oh wait there's nudity in them, who knew?!

At least the ITV hub and Channel 5 know they're shit and make no bones about it.

• Like 1

This website has the most wonderful tangents on nearly every thread.

Gogglebox 'star' dies.

In the next c 10 posts subjects cover Lush, James Dean, couch potatoes, reality TV,  Prince Philip's death, mundanity of life and Red Triangle films on Channel 4.

(and not an RIP in sight :D)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Channel 4 has always been the most disingenuous of TV stations, with its 'edgy' documentaries feigning concern over socio-sexual issues when all the channel really wants is ratings from prurient viewers. Not to mention the 'social experiments' like Big Brother/Naked Attraction/Gogglebox etc. I remember their Red Triangle film strand - yes yes we want to show important arty Euro films, oh wait there's nudity in them, who knew?!

At least the ITV hub and Channel 5 know they're shit and make no bones about it.

I agree partly - Gogglebox and NA both originated on C4 and seem designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator (presumably because that's what sells).

BB at least originally, was, I think a legitimate social experiment (it originated in the NL). It was only later it became so manipulative, as again, that was what was selling possibly as a result of "Nasty Nick", with contestants trying to be as outrageous as possible. Originally CBB had genuine celebrities with genuine interaction (See also I'm a Celebrity...) rather than 'celebrities' trying to make a name for themselves. Of course I could be completely wrong, I've never watched any of 'em.

I was out of the country for the 'Red Triangle' so I don't know about that, but I do remember from my youth a white box would be displayed in the corner of the screen if there was any content deemed 'unsuitable' for children or those of a nervous disposition (or the NVLA); this, I seem to remember, even included Hammer Horror films.

4 minutes ago, time said:

I agree partly - Gogglebox and NA both originated on C4 and seem designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator (presumably because that's what sells).

BB at least originally, was, I think a legitimate social experiment (it originated in the NL). It was only later it became so manipulative, as again, that was what was selling possibly as a result of "Nasty Nick", with contestants trying to be as outrageous as possible. Originally CBB had genuine celebrities with genuine interaction (See also I'm a Celebrity...) rather than 'celebrities' trying to make a name for themselves. Of course I could be completely wrong, I've never watched any of 'em.

I was out of the country for the 'Red Triangle' so I don't know about that, but I do remember from my youth a white box would be displayed in the corner of the screen if there was any content deemed 'unsuitable' for children or those of a nervous disposition (or the NVLA); this, I seem to remember, even included Hammer Horror films.

Yup. It's proper trash telly that can appeal to anyone. What really irritates me is the irrelevant cheesy theme tune, as well as the creepy voiceover on the show (Craig Cash, and formerly Caroline Aherne). They talk in a really mousy and sloooow way which just dumbs it down even more.

Aherne ofc a legend in her own right for Mrs Merton and The Fast Show. Fuck knows what she was thinking. She clearly wasn't.

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yup. It's proper trash telly that can appeal to anyone. What really irritates me is the irrelevant cheesy theme tune, as well as the creepy voiceover on the show (Craig Cash, and formerly Caroline Aherne). They talk in a really mousy and sloooow way which just dumbs it down even more.

Aherne ofc a legend in her own right for Mrs Merton and The Fast Show. Fuck knows what she was thinking. She clearly wasn't.

To quote Christopher Lee when asked about appearing in some dross, "Money, dear boy!" :D

Although it reminds me of June Brown, who once noted that for all the praise she got for her stage work in the 1970s, "slumming her talents away in Eastenders" as some put it is what ended for good her money worries! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

To quote Christopher Lee when asked about appearing in some dross, "Money, dear boy!" :D

Although it reminds me of June Brown, who once noted that for all the praise she got for her stage work in the 1970s, "slumming her talents away in Eastenders" as some put it is what ended for good her money worries! 

Reminds me of the Michael Caine retort on being asked about Jaws 4 (it being a bit rubbish by all accounts) and it building him a terrific house.

• Like 1

Do Reality TV people and Internet Influencers now have the crown for most deadly (non armed forces) professions? Seems a large amount have shuffled off this mortal coil recently.

Have I got this right?  There's a TV programme that's all about people sitting watching TV programmes?

And you all watch it.

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

Have I got this right?  There's a TV programme that's all about people sitting watching TV programmes?

And you all watch it.

Have you heard of Reaction videos on YouTube?

Now, I do wonder if there are Googlebox reaction videos.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, time said:

Reminds me of the Michael Caine retort on being asked about Jaws 4 (it being a bit rubbish by all accounts) and it building him a terrific house.

His other line about Jaws IV is opening the script, reading "Scene 1, Bahamas (on location)" and saying he'd do it instantly without reading the rest!

25 minutes ago, Toast said:

And you all watch it.

Basically...yes.

Well, used to watch it. But it used to be average Joes and their kids discussing the weeks TV, like Melvyn Bragg but less pretentious. So useful if you are busy and missed some decent shows that got raved about.  After a year or two it turned into people who now knew they were "famous" performing for the camera and lost its appeal. For me, anyhow. For the general public it just got more and more popular.

Contrary to the opinions of the joyless old farts in this thread, I actually enjoy watching this show.

That massive Tapper dad will he next presumably. 

There's a Finnish version of Gogglebox that has a guy who looks like he's already dead:

Ca8vMr6UsAAX1Ws.thumb.jpg.4d7b383340698c2e7ffe568a6e2b93f8.jpgeero.png.7c59c9ef5cc42bfc31888a1d5fb98a2f.png

Not to mention that he has already outlived two of the three others. Both the ones with glasses are dead, the one in the middle died in 2017, the one with the cane died this month.

I'm guessing all the other "stars" are shitting themselves now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Gogglebox 'star' dies.

In the next c 10 posts subjects cover Lush, James Dean, couch potatoes, reality TV,  Prince Philip's death, mundanity of life and Red Triangle films on Channel 4.

Cause he was a cunt.  Fuck him

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Gogglebox 'star' dies.

Mundanity of life... it's a nice name, @Grim Up North:lol:

Can I use it to create a future DDP team?
With your permission, of course.
Because... Copyright infringements can be settled in court. :P

• Like 2

On 27/08/2021 at 14:19, Toast said:

And you all watch it.

Yes there is, no we don't.

• Like 1

Old-school-style deadpooling here, but on the "this man looks about one more row with his cokehead son and Moldovan son-in-law away from a heart attack" principle, how about Chuck from 90 Day Fiancée

chuck-potthast-weeps-i-dont-want-to-see-