TAFKAG

Aung San Suu Kyi

7 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

My old man refers to the whole of the Netherlands as “Holland”. That’s one that bugs me.

Oh, and as a Scot, visiting the States and hearing folk referring to the whole of the U.K. as “England”. :facepalm:

I have too many Dutch friends to call NL 'Holland'...been there, done that, had people hissing through gritted teeth "Holland's a province". 

Saying that, you rarely hear the Dutch football team being referred to as 'The Netherlands'. Odd.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Nothing wrong with that. Technically not incorrect geographically.

My old man refers to the whole of the Netherlands as “Holland”. That’s one that bugs me.

Oh, and as a Scot, visiting the States and hearing folk referring to the whole of the U.K. as “England”. :facepalm:

Yes I know how annoying that can be.It's a similar thing in the Soviet Union where everyone referred  to it as Russia.That must have really annoyed people in Ukraine or Slovenia etc !

• Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, Toast said:

I really struggle with "Naypyidaw".  It would be much easier if the capital was Yangon and they went back to calling it Rangoon.

See also Almaty, Colombo and Lagos. I'M TOO OLD TO BE LEARNING NEW CAPITAL CITIES

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinegar Tits said:

See also Almaty, Colombo and Lagos. I'M TOO OLD TO BE LEARNING NEW CAPITAL CITIES

and Gitega which was called Bujumbura until recently.  I found that easier to remember when paired with Burundi.

2 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

I have too many Dutch friends to call NL 'Holland'...been there, done that, had people hissing through gritted teeth "Holland's a province".

Saying that, you rarely hear the Dutch football team being referred to as 'The Netherlands'. Odd.

I have to say, having spent quite a bit of time in that country, I've heard lots of Dutch people calling it Holland. 

2 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Yes I know how annoying that can be.It's a similar thing in the Soviet Union where everyone referred  to it as Russia.That must have really annoyed people in Ukraine or Slovenia etc !

Particularly so when Slovenia was part of the former Yugoslavia and hundreds of miles away from the Soviet Union. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thread here explaining the reasoning behind the Burma/Myanmar naming convention, which may or may not be of interest (just like everything else really).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, time said:

Thread here explaining the reasoning behind the Burma/Myanmar naming convention, which may or may not be of interest (just like everything else really).

So it's the same thing really.  Great, I'll stick with Burma then, especially as there's no other way of saying Burmese.

• Haha 1

19-year old protester Mya Thwe Thwe Khaing, who was shot in the head presumably by the military on February 9, died after three days on life support.

I doubt this will end well for Min Aung Hlaing, Soe Win and Myint Swe. And all because that bastard Hlaing didn't want to retire

On 14/02/2021 at 10:54, drol said:

19-year old protester Mya Thwe Thwe Khaing, who was shot in the head presumably by the military on February 9, died after three days on life support.

Well, now she is dead: Guardian QO.

• Like 1

Sad to know Khaing died not knowing why this thread was ever made.

On 02/02/2021 at 20:46, Toast said:

I have to say, having spent quite a bit of time in that country, I've heard lots of Dutch people calling it Holland. 

Some of us embrace it. Personally it doesn't really bug me that much. Honestly if you want to get even more technical about it Holland isn't even a province. You only have north and south holland but not Holland itself. I think the incorrect labeling has something to do with us calling ourselves Holland hunderds of years back (Not even that sure about it but I do know napoleon's brother called himself the "king of holland". Then again nobody calls us Batavieren anymore either.

• Like 1

NLD MP Khin Maung Latt allegedly killed by the military. He was 67. First high profile death after the coup.

• Like 1

Brief update on Tin Oo: he was invited to celebrate Armed Forces day yesterday, but could not attend due to health issues. Those military bastards have got some nerve to invite the NLD patron while they are slaying protestors. Armed Forces Day resolved into a bloodbath with about 90 killed.

On 07/03/2021 at 13:55, drol said:

NLD MP Khin Maung Latt allegedly killed by the military. He was 67. First high profile death after the coup.

Not him, it was a local politician with the same name. Not less disgusting though.

Nyan Win, personal attorney of miss Kyi, spokesperson and executive committee member for the national League of democracy party (whatever it means in Myanmar at the moment), who was in jail since the coup started is now dead at 78 after contracting covid. He was hospitalised a week ago.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sideik said:

Nyan Win, personal attorney of miss Kyi, spokesperson and executive committee member for the national League of democracy party (whatever it means in Myanmar at the moment), who was in jail since the coup started is now dead at 78 after contracting covid. He was hospitalised a week ago.

I wonder if he had a cat, a Nyan cat.

https://www.myanmar-now.org/en/news/nld-vice-chair-admitted-to-prison-hospital-as-health-worsens-amid-leukemia-battle

Dr. Zaw Myint Maung, VP of the National League for Democracy (Aung San Suu Kyi is/was the chairperson) former Chief Minister of the Mandalay Region and parliament member admitted to prison hospital. He has leukemia, probably not being treated and is also likely unvaccinated.