Could have put this in the AA Gill thread but...

Report of the death of DDP Pick Yvonne Gilan, AA Gill's mother but an actress in her own right and best known probably as another Fawlty Towers alumnus as Mrs Peignoir in The Wedding Party. She was 86.

Other credits include Z Cars and French Fields on TV, and Chariots of Fire and Empire Of The Sun on film.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0317913/

• Like 1

On 15/06/2018 at 12:17, YoungWillz said:

Could have put this in the AA Gill thread but...

Report of the death of DDP Pick Yvonne Gilan, AA Gill's mother but an actress in her own right and best known probably as another Fawlty Towers alumnus as Mrs Peignoir in The Wedding Party. She was 86.

Other credits include Z Cars and French Fields on TV, and Chariots of Fire and Empire Of The Sun on film.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0317913/

Still nothing after two days. They are taking it slowly...

On 16/06/2018 at 19:10, drol said:

Still nothing after two days. They are taking it slowly...

Four days and no mention anywhere. Starting to doubt it.

22 minutes ago, drol said:

Four days and no mention anywhere. Starting to doubt it.

Can’t imagine her granddaughter faking her death, unless I woke up on the set of Eastenders? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JR976evil said:

Can’t imagine her granddaughter faking her death, unless I woke up on the set of Eastenders? 

I know it's true. It's just surprising that a moderatley famous actress and mother of A. A. Gill still has not obited. So i'll blame it on her granddaughter being on LSD.

Yvonne Gilan is alive! Well, yes, alive in hospice care with breast and lung cancer or probably already dead, but not officially.

I wouldn't have quoted that tweet if I thought there was any doubt she had died.

Isn't a granddaughter's report official enough for you, if not for pools?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I wouldn't have quoted that tweet if I thought there was any doubt she had died.

Isn't a granddaughter's report official enough for you, if not for pools?

I'm convinced she has died. But this is not enough for any pool.

On 19/06/2018 at 15:22, drol said:

Yvonne Gilan is alive! Well, yes, alive in hospice care with breast and lung cancer or probably already dead, but not officially.

Still nothing after 9 days....

Dispatches from the Wikipedia edit war on whether Yvonne Gilan is alive or not:

I am new to editing wikis and cannot understand why my factual corrections re my great friend the late Yvonne Gilan have not been saved. I knew her well for 62 years and lived next door to her for a very long time. My husband is taking her funeral next week, at her request, and we, together with Yvonne and her grandson Louis Gill, worked out the order of service shortly before she died in Edenhall Hospice. I simply I wanted to update the information about her. This also meant changing the present tense of the descriptions of her work into the past tense. What is the problem here? I also know for a fact that she is Scottish and was born at 70 Northumberland Street Edinburgh and not in London, as previously stated. There is a long YouTube interview which you can watch where, last year, she visited her old school in Edinburgh and talked about her schooldays and her life. I knew not only her husband Michael and late sons but also her mother and her cousins. I am in regular contact with Louis who is also her executor, and who has all her documents. Please can you tell me what the problem is? It really upsets me to see her referred to in the present tense. I did not give my email address when I registered as it said this was optional. Is this the problem? Happy to provide it if so - Louis himself is distressed that the wiki should be out of date, and asked me to update it when I saw him last week to finalise funeral details. My alias is Ruth Northumberland. Ruth Northumberland (talk) 15:34, 26 June 2018 (UTC)

Yvonne's grandchildren Louis Gill and Flora Gill will be writing an obituary for the Other Lives tributes in The Guardian, but Louis has no plans for a newspaper announcement of her death. It may take several weeks or even months for the Guardian tribute to be published. Louis has been through Yvonne's address book and contacted everyone in it. While she was in the hospice, she had more visitors than anyone else, so I think it highly unlikely that anyone close to her is unaware of her illness and death. 

Ahhhh, there's Ruthie, on the bottle again....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Gawd love her. It's the same all over now the UK press are more concerned with US Z-listers than they are with our own.

Poor old Albert Moses got nothing, despite having appeared in Bond movies. Cyril Frankel - amazed he got nothing. Thane Bettany - dead for over a year before IMDB and Wiki altered, despite being the father of a Hollywood "star?". But no press. Michael Percival - one of the first teachers on Grange Hill, still not dead on IMDB, despite his passing in 2015.

Now of course I understand some families will express a desire for privacy. Some may not even want coverage. But these people are in our hearts somewhere.

Which is why there will always be a need for this forum.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Gawd love her. It's the same all over now the UK press are more concerned with US Z-listers than they are with our own.

Poor old Albert Moses got nothing, despite having appeared in Bond movies. Cyril Frankel - amazed he got nothing. Thane Bettany - dead for over a year before IMDB and Wiki altered, despite being the father of a Hollywood "star?". But no press. Michael Percival - one of the first teachers on Grange Hill, still not dead on IMDB, despite his passing in 2015.

Now of course I understand some families will express a desire for privacy. Some may not even want coverage. But these people are in our hearts somewhere.

I don't think Stanley Lebor ever got an obituary either nor Zara Nutley. Poor Colin Campbell didn't even get a mention here.

https://issuu.com/bafta/docs/bafta_television_awards_2018_brochu/77

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Indeed for all the accusations of being morbid at least we acknowledge the passing of talents rather than deny the deaths of talented people even after families announce the individuals death.Yes not everyone's demise makes the BBC news ticker but they are still worthy of acknowledgement and appreciation when they pass on.

• Like 3

I mean why would Flora Gill lie about her grandmothers death?? All a decent reporter would need to do is contact Flora and her mother Amber Rudd and say can you independently confirm the date of death and cause of death of Yvonne Given so we can publish a story on her passing.Would be much better than her slipping under the radar.I am sure her grandchildren would appreciate an acknowledgement of their nans career life and passing.

• Like 1

Take this as you will.

Report of the death of Glen Whitter, best known for his portrayal of "Chalkie", in On The Buses. Yes, he was black. Yes, it was the 1970s.

Was also in the Doctor Who stories The Daleks' Master Plan (Escape Switch) and Day Of The Daleks.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0926578/

• Like 2

Reports among his friends on social media that Scottish actor Peter Blake has died aged 69. Def one of those "not the name but know the face" types, appearing in (but not limited to) Dear John, Eastenders, Taggart, Jonathan Creek, The Professionals, Bergerac, A Very Peculiar Practice, City Lights and naturally the free episode of The Bill which came with an 1990s Equity card.

I remember him best (though have seen him in nearly all of the above) as the dodgy talk show host who tries to help stitch up Alan in the Who Shot Alan B'starde New Statesman special.

Here's his familiar unknown page.

Also, I think I might have Blake Edwards'd him. Few days ago, looking through my notes, I saw a Peter Blake born in 1948. "The artist is in his 80s", I thought, and did a cursory search, presumed I'd mistaken the dead sailor as alive, and so deleted the name. Looking now, it was in a bunch of actors so made more sense it was this chap. Oops!

1 hour ago, msc said:

Reports among his friends on social media that Scottish actor Peter Blake has died aged 69. Def one of those "not the name but know the face" types, appearing in (but not limited to) Dear John, Eastenders, Taggart, Jonathan Creek, The Professionals, Bergerac, A Very Peculiar Practice, City Lights and naturally the free episode of The Bill which came with an 1990s Equity card.

I remember him best (though have seen him in nearly all of the above) as the dodgy talk show host who tries to help stitch up Alan in the Who Shot Alan B'starde New Statesman special.

Here's his familiar unknown page.

Also, I think I might have Blake Edwards'd him. Few days ago, looking through my notes, I saw a Peter Blake born in 1948. "The artist is in his 80s", I thought, and did a cursory search, presumed I'd mistaken the dead sailor as alive, and so deleted the name. Looking now, it was in a bunch of actors so made more sense it was this chap. Oops!

Remember him best from Dear John. 

He also played the lead role in the shortest running West End musical - Mike Read's 'Wilde' - which closed after one night, to the disappointment of the five customers who had tickets for the second day.

My Hare's Pool pick is the Sgt Pepper bloke....

Meantime, my only recollection of the actor would have been from Agony, as my late mother used to watch that.

Another likely non obit.

6 minutes ago, drol said:

Another likely non obit.

On stage he played Frank N Furter in over 1000 performances. I think there should be an obitfrom the Guardian at least but I thought that about David Fisher.

Here's Peter Blake's 1977 #40 UK hit:

Based on this (How Come You're Such A Big Hit With The Girls?):

4 hours ago, drol said:

Another likely non obit.

I find it hard to believe he won't obit, he was in everything. 

Is that all the male actors from Dear John dead now? I don't think any of them lived beyond 70.  

@Handrejka I can find two kid (at the time) actors who appeared in more than 1 episode - Will Bates and Darren Traynor.

Frank Windsor was in one episode for example, but regular blokes hard to come by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1