On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 23:39, Ulitzer95 said:

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 09:02, dean1991 said:

Alive again now 

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:33, Ulitzer95 said:

Editor left a note saying info came from his next on kin. Supposedly died in Denville Hall. News seems to be slow in coming out of there. I suspect an obit will surface in the coming week. 

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 15:12, Bibliogryphon said:

Wikipedia has now locked his death in. There looks like there was an obituary in The Stage but nothing elsewhere. 

To put it beyond any possible doubt, Nicholas Amer died on 17 November 2019 at Denville Hall: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3564100

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oft overlooked probably because he's  alive and generally happy with his young 60 year old missus, John Standing told the Mail about his lockdown experiences at the end of April (which I've only just seen): https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8262937/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Crown-star-Sir-John-Standing-makes-sure-goes-lockdown.html

Basically it's tap dancing and waving at Joan Collins....

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Oft overlooked probably because he's  alive and generally happy with his young 60 year old missus, John Standing told the Mail about his lockdown experiences at the end of April (which I've only just seen): https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8262937/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Crown-star-Sir-John-Standing-makes-sure-goes-lockdown.html

Basically it's tap dancing and waving at Joan Collins....

Things you don't expect to read. "Oh I'm passing the time watching Narcos on Netflix..."

Overlooked on here because when there's no lockdown he's yet another of that formidable bunch of British thesps born 1932-35 that are still acting.

• Like 2

I mean, we've got this lot still acting to varying degrees (with some added notable exceptions):

1932 –Bill Roache,  Gabriel Woolf (retired in 2015)

1933– , Sian Philips, Joan Collins, David McCallum, Derek Martin (retired in 2017 to "put his feet up"), Brian Murphy, Barbara Knox, Donald Douglas (honorary mention as retired 15 years ago)

1934: Tom Baker (mostly sticking to voice work now), Annette Crosbie, Alan Bennett, Eileen Atkins, Jean Marsh (full time acting career ending in 2015 by massive stroke she was meant to survive, but bounced back from), Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Vernon Dobtcheff, Christopher Benjamin (sticks to voice work now), Slyvia Sims, Timothy West (still busy despite being carer for Pru), Wendy Craig, John Standing

1935: Julian Glover (tbh Glover could die and I'd still expect him to show up for 5 new projects a year), David Prowse (retired in 2017 after some ill health),Donald Sutherland, Michael Jayston, James Bolam (has pretty much retired off Cbeebies royalty repeats on daily showings of Grandpa in my Pocket!), Johnny Briggs (pretty much retired with Mike Baldwin), Jim Dale (voice acting), Barry Cryer, Judy Parfitt, Amanda Barrie (mostly appearing as herself), Melvyn Hayes (Semi-retired, does voice work), Wanda Ventham,  Janet Henfrey, Anne Reid

The Democrat West Coast firewall of British acting, that lot.

• Like 2

And don't I and my various DDP and other Deadpool teams over the years know it, @msc! :lol:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

And don't I and my various DDP and other Deadpool teams over the years know it, @msc! :lol:

Wouldn't surprise me if some of those names wind up with 8+ DL appearances in their future.

Dunno which ones though - you never know the vagaries and whims of Reaper Gooseberry Crumble...

• Haha 2

On 30/10/2018 at 15:00, Bibliogryphon said:

Here are the ten earliest surviving winners of the Evening Standard Theatre Award for the best actor. No real surprises in here but all worth keeping an eye on. The gaps probably say more than the names towards the bottom of this list

ACTORS

1961       Christopher Plummer

1965       Ian Holm

1966       Albert Finney

1980       Tom Courtenay

1983       Derek Jacobi

1984       Ian McKellern

1985       Anthony Sher

1987       Michael Gambon

1998       Kevin Spacey

1999       Stephen Dillane

Update for this list following the passing of Ian Holm

EVENING STANDARD THEATRE AWARD WINNERS

ACTORS

1980       Tom Courtenay

1983       Derek Jacobi

1984       Ian McKellen

1985       Anthony Sher

1998       Kevin Spacey

2000       Simon Russell Beale

2001       Alex Jennings

Christopher PIummer has a nineteen year head start on his rivals here

I actually met Alex Jennings once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Update for this list following the passing of Ian Holm

EVENING STANDARD THEATRE AWARD WINNERS

ACTORS

1980       Tom Courtenay

1983       Derek Jacobi

1984       Ian McKellen

1985       Anthony Sher

1998       Kevin Spacey

2000       Simon Russell Beale

2001       Alex Jennings

Christopher PIummer has a nineteen year head start on his rivals here

I actually met Alex Jennings once.

If all the ones since 2002 have died, actors must really not want to win that award? 

As discussed on the British Science Fiction thread, it looks like Philip Latham has died: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/242684/latham

DDP Pick for me.

Films include The Dambusters, Dracula, Prince of Darkness (as an eminently sinister Klove) and Force 10 From Navarone, TV includes The Troubleshooters, Danger Man, Mogul, The Pallisers and of course Doctor Who.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0490108/

Philip Latham - Classic Monsters

• Sad 2

Louis Mahoney a very familiar face from British TV over the years has died aged 81 according to his agent.

Stuff you might recall him from include The Germans episode of Fawlty Towers, Cry Freedom, a memorable spot in Doctor Who (as the older version of Billy in Blink), Being Human, One Foot in the Grave, etc etc. Shitloads basically.

• Like 3

The press definitely need to cover Philip Latham and Louis Mahoney's deaths.

Imho.

Must have been a bit sudden - he was quoted as Condeming the UKTV removial of 'The Germans' just a couple of weeks.

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Must have been a bit sudden - he was quoted as Condeming the UKTV removial of 'The Germans' just a couple of weeks.

He was still acting a few months ago so I think it was. As for Fawlty Towers, there's many stories of him being delighted but bemused to still be getting regular royalty payments off that one episode 30+ years later.

• Like 1

Le

22 hours ago, msc said:

Louis Mahoney a very familiar face from British TV over the years has died aged 81 according to his agent.

Stuff you might recall him from include The Germans episode of Fawlty Towers, Cry Freedom, a memorable spot in Doctor Who (as the older version of Billy in Blink), Being Human, One Foot in the Grave, etc etc. Shitloads basically.

22 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

The press definitely need to cover Philip Latham and Louis Mahoney's deaths.

Imho.

Louis Mahoney BBC report.

Edited by time
Like an idiot, I spelt his name wrong.
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, time said:

Le

Lewis Mahoney BBC report.

One of the few black actors who was in the classic series of Doctor Who , in Planet of Evil 

Julian Curry, actor best known for playing Claude Erskine-Brown in TV's Rumpole of The Bailey, has died age 82.

• Sad 1

And still nothing for Philip Latham. :banghead:

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

And still nothing for Philip Latham. :banghead:

Shame if the 613th most popular actor in Britain doesn't get something.

YouGov

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2009 at 22:42, themaninblack said:

Actor Maurice Roeves has revealed in an interview that he has battled cancer...

Would love to see him in Doctor Who again...

Reports coming in on the Twitterconvention that Maurice Roeves has died.

Probably the most famous Scottish actor not to be Scottish, ha! :P Doctor Who and Tutti Frutti incorporate his most famous roles for me. Ton of work though.

Here's a pic in case you aren't familiar with the name.

Maurice Roeves-HSB Noticias / Cine

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Reports coming in on the Twitterconvention that Maurice Roeves has died.

Probably the most famous Scottish actor not to be Scottish, ha! :P Doctor Who and Tutti Frutti incorporate his most famous roles for me. Ton of work though.

Here's a pic in case you aren't familiar with the name.

Maurice Roeves-HSB Noticias / Cine

Oh that'll be a sad one, he bounced back from personal demons and Stage IV cancer in his life, and was a bloody brilliant actor - he shifts Tutti Frutti from dark comedy to tragedy on his own, was on the BBC just this year in The Nest. Also great in The Nightmare Man, and Caves of Androzani, yes, but he was showing up in things as random as Rab C Nesbitt and Skins (where he played Peter Capaldi's dad!) and knocking it out of the park.

• Like 2

Evening TImes has it. Maurice Roeves dead at 83.  Word on Facebook is his cancer returned.

Damn. This is a sad one.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Evening TImes has it. Maurice Roeves dead at 83.  Word on Facebook is his cancer returned.

Damn. This is a sad one.

The Damned  United has a casualty. RIP.

• Sad 1

I first remember him from Danger UXB! Great actor, did everything from The Sweeney to Star Trek.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, redrumours said:

The Damned  United has a casualty. RIP.

Played one of Cloughies coaches Jimmy Gordon

• Sad 1

On 15/07/2020 at 10:18, msc said:

Oh that'll be a sad one, he bounced back from personal demons and Stage IV cancer in his life, and was a bloody brilliant actor - he shifts Tutti Frutti from dark comedy to tragedy on his own, was on the BBC just this year in The Nest. Also great in The Nightmare Man, and Caves of Androzani, yes, but he was showing up in things as random as Rab C Nesbitt and Skins (where he played Peter Capaldi's dad!) and knocking it out of the park.

I also liked Roeve's portrayal of Colonel Munro in Last of the Mohicans.   A great scene when the vengeful Magua cuts his heart out. 

• Like 1