You're all expecting me to make scat jokes now aren't you, but I'm kind of saddened by her death too. I used to really fancy her ex-husband, Nicky Henson. Their sons have lost both their parents in under two years.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

You're all expecting me to make scat jokes now aren't you, but I'm kind of saddened by her death too. I used to really fancy her ex-husband, Nicky Henson. Their sons have lost both their parents in under two years.  

In my mind Una is inextricably linked to you.

Obviously not for reasons of 'that' but because we have discussed her in the past.

She was bloody lovely.

Report of the death of Scottish actor Ken Hutchison who has died aged 72: https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/tributes-for-fife-actor-ken-hutchinson-star-of-straw-dogs-and-the-sweeney-who-has-passed-away/

Starring role as Norman Scutt in Straw Dogs, he then went on to play Matt Harvey in The Onedin Line and Heathcliff in a TV adaptation of Wuthering Heights (round about the same time that Kate Bush released her choon). @msc may be able to expound more as he was an alumnus of Taggart and Hamish MacBeth as well as various other cop shows with an honourable mention for us sci-fi nerds for Space: 1999.

Beard or No Beard? How do you prefer actor Ken Hutchison? | Toluna

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0404455/

• Like 7

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of Scottish actor Ken Hutchison who has died aged 72: https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/tributes-for-fife-actor-ken-hutchinson-star-of-straw-dogs-and-the-sweeney-who-has-passed-away/

Starring role as Norman Scutt in Straw Dogs, he then went on to play Matt Harvey in The Onedin Line and Heathcliff in a TV adaptation of Wuthering Heights (round about the same time that Kate Bush released her choon). @msc may be able to expound more as he was an alumnus of Taggart and Hamish MacBeth as well as various other cop shows with an honourable mention for us sci-fi nerds for Space: 1999.

Beard or No Beard? How do you prefer actor Ken Hutchison? | Toluna

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0404455/

Well you've mentioned he played the rapist in Straw Dogs. The Taggart he's in is the one where the policeman's wife is murdered when he's on duty and that one never sticks in the mind very long. 

However, he's far more infamous in Hamish MacBeth. He's the escaped convict who kills Wee Jock! That's genuinely one of the best bits of TV from the 90s, as Hamish goes out to avenge the ghost haunted killers of his beloved pet. Hutchison is very good as an old timer with increasingly several screws loose in his noggin. 

He was a very good actor who wasn't afraid to play utter cunts on TV and film for our enjoyment. 

(Pictured on the right, next to the late Billy McColl, Scottish actor who died far too young in 2014...)

wee jock.png

• Like 2

On 05/08/2021 at 13:41, msc said:

ELLIS - Mary Irene Colette (nee McCrossan) (stage name Colette O'Neil) Mary Irene Colette passed away peacefully on Sunday 11th July 2021. Actress and much loved mother to Dominic, Lara, Natasha, sister to Pat and grandmother to Nyree, Aaron, Maisy, Mya and Grace. Family and friends welcome to attend a service to celebrate Colette's life held at St Gabriel's Church, Merrylee Road, Glasgow, on 11th August at 10am. Family flowers only, if wished donations to Alzheimer's Research UK please.

In the Herald.

This is for Scottish actress Colette O'Neil (born 1937). She appeared in Taggart, Shetland, Hamish MacBeth, Adam Adamant Lives, Wallander, Z-Cars and Doctor Who (Snakedance, she played Martin Clunes's mum) among many others. Looks like the family only just announced it 2 days ago.

Lucky to make it to 84 after a near fatal accident performing on stage in the 1960s!

Got a Guardian obit.

Born Nov 1935 so she was actually 85 at her time of death.

• Like 1

Ian Gardiner, long term character actor probably best known as Mr Brent In Television Club and Mr Carter in Jennings, both from the 1960s, has died: https://www.thestage.co.uk/obituaries--archive/obituaries/obituary-ian-gardiner

Interested Forum users should note he was a man on a train in Series 9 of Grange Hill, Howard Drucker in Brookside and a policeman in a 1961 episode of The Avengers - Girl On The Trapeze.

But more than that he was Reginald Molehusband, the man who had problems parallel parking in a public information film in the 1960s and remade with Ian Gardiner in the mid-2000s, which gave rise to the term "doing a Reggie".

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

But more than that he was Reginald Molehusband, the man who had problems parallel parking in a public information film in the 1960s and remade with Ian Gardiner in the mid-2000s, which gave rise to the term "doing a Reggie".

So they never found the original? That's a shame - it was a classic, far more worth saving than all those Dr Who and TOTP (and many others) episodes the BBC wiped in its infinite costcutting wisdom.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

So they never found the original? That's a shame - it was a classic, far more worth saving than all those Dr Who and TOTP (and many others) episodes the BBC wiped in its infinite costcutting wisdom.

I have a very vague recollection of the original.

But of course, I paid more attention to Tufty, Charlie The Cat, Joe And Petunia (the couple that sat by and watched disasters befall others). And of course Rolf Harris and the benefits of learning to swim. Ah, the memories...

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

The family of former RSC actor Clifford Rose launch an appeal to help with care home fees

I saw this last night, and thought he'd make a good DDP pick. So good, in fact, that I've picked him for the last five years :D

• Like 1

On 08/02/2021 at 08:47, Bibliogryphon said:

EVENING STANDARD THEATRE AWARD WINNERS

ACTORS

1980       Tom Courtenay

1983       Derek Jacobi

1984       Ian McKellen

1985       Anthony Sher

1987       Michael Gambon

1998       Kevin Spacey

1999       Stephen Dillane

2000       Simon Russell Beale

2001       Alex Jennings

2003.       Michael Sheen

The ten longest surviving since their win updated for the loss of Christopher Plummer (1961). 

The year 2004 was won by Richard Griffith's and 2005 was SRB again so when the next one goes I will skip forward to 2006. Race between Tom Courtney and Michael Gambon IMO.

There are three earlier surviving Evening Standard Best Theatre actor award winners prior to Anthony Sher.

The equivalent list for Actress (Ten Earliest surviving) actually ends where  this one starts - with Judy Dench in 1980 and the earliest being Vanessa Redgrave in 1961

• Like 1

Patricia Ross (nee Scantlebury), who performed under the name Patsy Drake, death notice: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timescolonist/obituary.aspx?n=patricia-margaret-ross&pid=200156744

Her last credited role on IMDB is 1949. Yeah, you read that right. I'm going to suggest probably of all her films, she was the last credited living performer. But I haven't checked.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Patricia Ross (nee Scantlebury), who performed under the name Patsy Drake, death notice: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timescolonist/obituary.aspx?n=patricia-margaret-ross&pid=200156744

Her last credited role on IMDB is 1949. Yeah, you read that right. I'm going to suggest probably of all her films, she was the last credited living performer. But I haven't checked.

Then I’m going to suggest no one here has ever heard of her.

• Like 1

Was watching the 1983 BBC adaptation of Jane Eyre recently so I will add my voices to those calling for more attention for rent a victorian lawyer Colin Jeavons

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Was watching the 1983 BBC adaptation of Jane Eyre recently so I will add my voices to those calling for more attention for rent a victorian lawyer Colin Jeavons

He's 92 in October, and last I heard (caveat - pre-covid days) doing well. He saved his money well and decided to retire his 60s to watch his family grow up, and fish.

He did show up in a music video for his sons mediocre band in 2007 which he briefly talks about here:

But otherwise, quiet retirement. Good actor, always a good chap to see in things.

house-01-04.jpg

Here he is in January 2021:

144547602_10159292995903767_4045224162576873231_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=r2LsFLR3uUgAX-sSP56&_nc_ht=scontent.fgla3-2.fna&oh=4d377dfe593266c67a4799342341572c&oe=616D280A

• Like 4

He has a small role in my favourite Man in a Suitcase episode. 

As reported in the Science Fiction thread, but as he was so much more than that, Morris Perry reportedly dead, aged 96

Geoffrey Chater (100) {Foyle's War etc}, William Russell (96) {Sir Lancelot, Dr Who - an original companion in 1963}, Robert Fyffe (96) {The Last of the Summer Wine}, Pete Murray (96 on 25/9) { best known as a DJ but occasional appearances elsewhere} all worth considering for next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Watcher said:

Geoffrey Chater (100) {Foyle's War etc}, William Russell (96) {Sir Lancelot, Dr Who - an original companion in 1963}, Robert Fyffe (96) {The Last of the Summer Wine}, Pete Murray (96 on 25/9) { best known as a DJ but occasional appearances elsewhere} all worth considering for next year.

Robert Fyfe is 91, born in Kirkcaldy in 1930. God knows where the 1925 date of birth originated from, but it’s wrong.

• Thanks 1

Photo from Facebook of Frank Williams on his 90th birthday in July. Looks fairly… alive. Still think worth a punt for 2022 but should easily see this year out.

DC5F78C9-8C9A-48F6-8182-8C1ACC612359.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Robert Fyfe is 91, born in Kirkcaldy in 1930. God knows where the 1925 date of birth originated from, but it’s wrong.

Still 1925 on Wikipedia.

21 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Still 1925 on Wikipedia.

Not the same Wiki article I’m looking at… it doesn’t have a year of birth at all now, likely because there isn’t a reliable source to support one.

55 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The 1925 we knew was wrong but were the hell did an Alloa birth come from then? Alloa's not only nowhere near Kirkcaldy, but there's a much bigger city to confuse place of birth with (Dunfermline) inbetween the two!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, msc said:

The 1925 we knew was wrong but were the hell did an Alloa birth come from then? Alloa's not only nowhere near Kirkcaldy, but there's a much bigger city to confuse place of birth with (Dunfermline) inbetween the two!

Beats me. Somewhere down the line someone must’ve tried to put 2 and 2 together and got 5. IMDb used to be a treasure trove of erroneous info so I point the finger there. IMDb is MUCH better nowadays. They’re pretty strict eg they won’t even accept Toby’s tweets as evidence of an actor being dead.

• Like 1