On 29/03/2019 at 12:31, Spade_Cooley said:

Had a few people get to the DDP site in recent days from googling "Evie Garratt dead". Nothing out there online, but a bit weird that there's been a surge (three people) in searches for it out of nowhere. I remember her best as "Nana Hill" back when Harry Hill was still funny in the 90s.

IMDB now lists a death date (17 April, 2015) for Evie Garratt. If she was alive she'd have just turned 100 (October 10th), and there's nothing out there about her birthday, so maybe she has died off the grid?

Edit: found this

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Colin Jeavons is 90 today! :birthday:

That's Mr Stamper to you. :D

Granada-cree-7-Lestrade.jpg

Image for folk going "I know the name...".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, msc said:

That's Mr Stamper to you. :D

Granada-cree-7-Lestrade.jpg

Image for folk going "I know the name...".

I thought he had died years ago!

24 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Nope, still alive (and very well last I heard, a few years ago).

47 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Not many of the cast from the first House of Cards series left now. Let's hope he lasts a few more years. He was great in House of Cards and To Play the King. 

2 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Not many of the cast from the first House of Cards series left now. Let's hope he lasts a few more years. He was great in House of Cards and To Play the King. 

He has been in a metric shit ton of things tbf.

If my memory serves me well, I think I first knew about him from the TV series Billy Liar.

IIRC, was he not the Funeral Parlour owner, Mr Shadrack?

That is off the top of my head, I expect to be shot down.

13 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

He has been in a metric shit ton of things tbf.

If my memory serves me well, I think I first knew about him from the TV series Billy Liar.

IIRC, was he not the Funeral Parlour owner, Mr Shadrack?

That is off the top of my head, I expect to be shot down.

Not seen that one, but apparently, yes he was!

Apart from HoC and Dr Who, have also seen him in everything from The Avengers (including the one where Diana Rigg gets into a leather corset and shows off her legs...which remained in my mind for some reason...), Fall of Eagles, Adam Adamant, Hitchhikers Guide, the various Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes, and fucking shitloads other stuff. Nowadays if you ever casually watch Talking Pictures or Drama or other freeview channels he's bound to show up in something or other at least once a month.

Anyhow, he saved his money well and in his mid-60s decided to retire peacefully. Showed up in one of his sons music videos few years back but otherwise it was the fishing and relaxing life. There are worse old ages! :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

Not seen that one, but apparently, yes he was!

Apart from HoC and Dr Who, have also seen him in everything from The Avengers (including the one where Diana Rigg gets into a leather corset and shows off her legs...which remained in my mind for some reason...), Fall of Eagles, Adam Adamant, Hitchhikers Guide, the various Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes, and fucking shitloads other stuff. Nowadays if you ever casually watch Talking Pictures or Drama or other freeview channels he's bound to show up in something or other at least once a month.

Anyhow, he saved his money well and in his mid-60s decided to retire peacefully. Showed up in one of his sons music videos few years back but otherwise it was the fishing and relaxing life. There are worse old ages! :D

Whatever happens from here, it's good to hear here's had a happy and long retirement. He deserved it after getting blown up in To Play the King. 

Two British character actors who seem to remain under the radar are James Garbutt (born 1925) & Jean Heywood (born 1921). They played a married couple, (the Seatons) in the James Bolam drama When the Boat Comes In. 

Jean Heywood also played the housekeeper in All Creatures Great and Small. She replaced Mary Hignett (1916-1980) who played Mrs Hall the first housekeeper who was in the first three series but died after a risky double hip operation when initially she had gone into hospital for only a single hip operation but according to Wiki was persuaded by medical staff to have a more complicated procedure. Jean Heywood has outlived her predecessor in the role of housekeeper by almost 40 years.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Two British character actors who seem to remain under the radar are James Garbutt (born 1925) & Jean Heywood (born 1921). They played a married couple, (the Seatons) in the James Bolam drama When the Boat Comes In. 

Jean Heywood also played the housekeeper in All Creatures Great and Small. She replaced Mary Hignett (1916-1980) who played Mrs Hall the first housekeeper who was in the first three series but died after a risky double hip operation when initially she had gone into hospital for only a single hip operation but according to Wiki was persuaded by medical staff to have a more complicated procedure. Jean Heywood has outlived her predecessor in the role of housekeeper by almost 40 years.

Wow

James Garbutt did not look young in 1974 when he played Ronson in Genesis of the Daleks

12 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Wow

James Garbutt did not look young in 1974 when he played Ronson in Genesis of the Daleks

I picked him a year or two ago for my Dr Who DDP theme team but he's not really made much traction elsewhere. Now if anyone else wants to pick him in next years DDP that opens up a space in my "Get 'em on the DDP" theme team.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, msc said:

I picked him a year or two ago for my Dr Who DDP theme team but he's not really made much traction elsewhere. Now if anyone else wants to pick him in next years DDP that opens up a space in my "Get 'em on the DDP" theme team.

That is really what my Unusual Suspects team is. I top it up with people who have not been picked for the DDP in the past 6 six years but the poor showing this year might mean that those unpicked selections are getting too young to be realistic

Another one for you @Bibliogryphon. Thanks to Talking Pictures I've seen Elizabeth Sellars in three things this past week (Three Cases of Murder, Jet Storm and now Repent at Leisure) and apparently she's still alive aged 98.

• Like 1

Michael Medwin is 96 and surely fits into this thread. He is a contemporary of the ageless Nicholas Parosns and like him appeared on stage & screen in the 1950's. Medwin may be best remembered as the genial boss of Eddie Shoestring in the series that starred Trevor Eve. When Eve decided to move onto other ventures after 2 series, Robert Banks Stewart was asked to come up with another series. He came up with Bergerac which was based in Jersey & ran for 9 series and even used plots that had been intended for further series of Shoestring!

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:06, The Watcher said:

Jean Heywood reportedly died back in September:

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0382402/

Few more recent Twitterati seem to confirm this more recently.

• Like 1

Fucks sake, picking classic TV folk is proving a bigger DDP obit risk than pop star's uncles...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:
On 24/10/2019 at 04:06, The Watcher said:

Jean Heywood reportedly died back in September:

So was already DEAD when The Watcher posted about her longevity.  :lol: :evil2:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

According to Wiki Jean Heywood is still alive! (98)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

According to Wiki Jean Heywood is still alive! (98)

It says she died on 14th September 2019

1 hour ago, Steve said:

It says she died on 14th September 2019

Changed this afternoon. The perils of relying on Wiki - one only has to look at the fact that they state the longest marriage was by a Bradford couple of over 90 years but Guinness World Records never includes it.

4 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Changed this afternoon. The perils of relying on Wiki - one only has to look at the fact that they state the longest marriage was by a Bradford couple of over 90 years but Guinness World Records never includes it.

The news was announced on Twitter. :rolleyes: