His fans  hope "He Shall Overcome", rather then end up in one of those" Little Boxes" in the hillside

• Like 1

Rather apt I had to turn the page as it were to double check who you were talking about.

Definitely some confusion as Bob Seger is a performer, not merely a songwriter.  Shouldn't he go in the rock star thread?

11 hours ago, bladan said:

Bob Seger,72, has been forced to postpone all 19 dates of his 2017 Runaway Train tour due to an "urgent medical issue."

Aye, but it could be the chance to treble his current earning power by fronting The Heartbreakers

11 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

His fans  hope "He Shall Overcome", rather then end up in one of those" Little Boxes" in the hillside

Like I always do, too, you confused Bob Seger with Pete Seeger.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Like I always do, too, you confused Bob Seger with Pete Seeger.

I confuse them with The Seekers.

18 minutes ago, bladan said:

I confuse them with The Seekers.

Ah! now my mum used to confuse them with The Searchers.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Ah! now my mum used to confuse them with The Searchers.

I presume your mum was old enough to be safe at the time and the confusion was down to general disinterest in both bands.

Am I imagining it or was one of the original Seekers involved in a relationship with an improbably young girl?

John Perry Barlow, 70, non-performing member and lyricist for the Grateful Dead, is probably someone worth keeping an eye on.  This week's Dead Hour podcast* ended with the presenter, somewhat cryptically, asking listeners to keep Barlow in their thoughts "during these difficult times". 

Barlow's an interesting character - a borderline genius essayist, poet, pioneering exponent of LSD, former cocaine dealer and political activist who, at the height of his lyrical contribution to the Dead, was simultaneously running a cattle ranch in Wyoming.  His wiki page alludes to health problems in 2016.

* I often wonder if I'm the only person who tunes into the Dead Hour and The Archers each week without fail...

On 14/01/2018 at 23:56, DevonDeathTrip said:

John Perry Barlow, 70, non-performing member and lyricist for the Grateful Dead, is probably someone worth keeping an eye on.  This week's Dead Hour podcast* ended with the presenter, somewhat cryptically, asking listeners to keep Barlow in their thoughts "during these difficult times". 

Barlow's an interesting character - a borderline genius essayist, poet, pioneering exponent of LSD, former cocaine dealer and political activist who, at the height of his lyrical contribution to the Dead, was simultaneously running a cattle ranch in Wyoming.  His wiki page alludes to health problems in 2016.

* I often wonder if I'm the only person who tunes into the Dead Hour and The Archers each week without fail...

Very much worth keeping an eye on, as he's now dead. Co-founder of the Electronic Frontier Foundation as well, which may well see him sneak a QO somewhere.

He'll definitely get an obituary.  The Dead's two lyricists Barlow and Robert Hunter, were paid up members of the band, which should be enough in itself to get the broadsheet treatment.  

Quite sad about this as I love listening to The Dead and he played an integral part in some of their best known songs. RIP JPB.  

2 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

He'll definitely get an obituary.  The Dead's two lyricists Barlow and Robert Hunter, were paid up members of the band, which should be enough in itself to get the broadsheet treatment.  

And here’s the sun giving him a QO (not the best source, but the first UK one to give the obit. I personally expect much more for him)...

Report of the death of Motown songwriter Ron Dunbar: https://www.soultracks.com/story-ron-dunbar-dies

Amongst his numbers are Freda Payne's Band of Gold and Give Me Just A Little More Time by Chairmen of the Board.

Grammy award winner for co-writing Patches:

• Sad 1

Stan Lewis who penned the hit "Susie Q" has died at the age of 91

1 hour ago, Phantom said:

Stan Lewis who penned the hit "Susie Q" has died at the age of 91

• Like 1

On 27/08/2018 at 15:10, YoungWillz said:

Reports of the death of British songwriter Tony Hiller aged 91:

Non QO obituary for Hiller.

39 minutes ago, drol said:

Non QO obituary for Hiller.

Dear God, that's a cheesefest if ever there was one.

On 18/05/2012 at 23:47, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Being a rubbish songwriter myself, it's time to salute the people who make the pop musical world go round. Most aren't on the verge of death, but never mind (all over 60, though). Off the top of my head, my living greats include:

Tony Joe White

Tony Joe White, deid.

https://eu.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2018/10/25/tony-joe-white-dead-obituary-rainy-night-georgia/1764875002/

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, charon said:

Oh, that's sad. Really underrated singer and guitarist too, effortlessly cool. Now effortlessly cold, I guess. 

19 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Damned with faint praise.

He wrote Hi-Ho Silver Lining and Bend Me Shape Me too, so not such faint praise.