On 27/12/2020 at 12:52, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of Geoff Stephens who formed The New Vaudeville Band (one for @Ulitzer95), who wrote so many hits of the 1960s and 1970s it's painful:

I'm going to single out There's A Kind Of Hush, The Crying Game, Winchester Cathedral and You Won't Find Another Fool Like Me, but read his Wiki for more.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0827020/

Tim Rice seems to have reported this as long ago as Christmas Eve.

Reported on BBC Radio 4 on Christmas Day with a full report but still has not got a Q/O.

• Angry 2

Steve Brown, record producer for Wham!, Manic Street Preachers, The Cult amongst others, has died aged 63. 

Lyricist and composer Steve Brown presumably alive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Steve Brown (IMDb), composer, lyricist and record producer, has died aged 63. He worked West End Musicals Spend Spend Spend and I Can’t Sing! The X Factor Musical. He composed many of the songs and jingles on loads of programmes such as Spitting Image in the 80s/90s, Dead Ringers and The Ant and Dec Show (including Wonkey Donkey). If you’ve watched UK TV within the past few decades you’ll probably have heard something he’s written by the looks of it.

Best known to me as the subject of a sacking in Knowing Me, Knowing You as bandleader Glenn Ponder

Edit: In true Partridge style, it turns out that Steve Brown, who played Glenn Ponder, is in fact still alive. I ought to be a subject of a sacking myself.

Hang on, I'm not sure this is the same Steve Brown. This Louder Than War obit has him best known for working with the Manic Street Preachers and The Cult, of which there is no mention on Steve Brown of Glenn Ponder fame's wiki. Seems to me that the latter is still alive. Anyone got evidence that they are the same person, or indeed otherwise. :sherlock:

11 minutes ago, The Dead Cow said:

Hang on, I'm not sure this is the same Steve Brown. This Louder Than War obit has him best known for working with the Manic Street Preachers and The Cult, of which there is no mention on Steve Brown of Glenn Pardo fame's wiki. Seems to me that the latter is still alive. Anyone got evidence that they are the same person, or indeed otherwise. :sherlock:

I think even Watson could have solved this mystery.

The late, non-Ponder, Steve Brown http://www.stevebrown.info/ who it seems died two years ago anyway. That's no excuse for not updating your website, though.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Dead Cow said:

Hang on, I'm not sure this is the same Steve Brown. This Louder Than War obit has him best known for working with the Manic Street Preachers and The Cult, of which there is no mention on Steve Brown of Glenn Ponder fame's wiki. Seems to me that the latter is still alive. Anyone got evidence that they are the same person, or indeed otherwise. :sherlock:

Absolutely correct and apologies to the other Steve Brown also born 1958 who I inadvertently killed off prematurely. It is Steve Brown, record producer for Wham!, The Cult, Manic Street Preachers who has died. 

14 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I think even Watson could have solved this mystery.

The late, non-Ponder, Steve Brown http://www.stevebrown.info/ who it seems died two years ago anyway. That's no excuse for not updating your website, though.

The Steve Brown who died two years ago seems to be a different record producer, who also worked with Elton John. Why are there so many fucking record producers called Steve Brown?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Dead Cow said:

The Steve Brown who died two years ago seems to be a different record producer, who also worked with Elton John. Why are there so many fucking record producers called Steve Brown?

Who all fucking insisted on working with fucking Sharon!  I think the outdated-website guy is  also the newly-dead guy, unless  LTW are just very tardy with their obit. It's like an episode of Soap. Which was a sitcom, not a soap. 

:scratchhead:

On 27/12/2020 at 12:52, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of Geoff Stephens who formed The New Vaudeville Band (one for @Ulitzer95), who wrote so many hits of the 1960s and 1970s it's painful:

I'm going to single out There's A Kind Of Hush, The Crying Game, Winchester Cathedral and You Won't Find Another Fool Like Me, but read his Wiki for more.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0827020/

Tim Rice seems to have reported this as long ago as Christmas Eve.

Geoff Stephens gets a proper obit.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, time said:

Geoff Stephens gets a proper obit.

Hmmm, interestingly says he survived COVID-19 in the spring, but did from pneumonia in the winter.

Likely it weakened his respiratory system.

On 02/01/2021 at 21:27, Thatcher said:

Steve Brown, record producer for Wham!, Manic Street Preachers, The Cult amongst others, has died aged 63. 

Lyricist and composer Steve Brown presumably alive.

Guardian obit.

Jim Weatherly, writer of Midnight Train to Georgia, has just departed on the late sleeper.

• Like 2

On 12/06/2020 at 12:43, markb4 said:

Legendary Disney lyricist, Richard M. Sherman, is 92 today!

Richard M. Sherman makes an appearance for the 90th birthday of The Magic Castle founder and magician, Milt Larsen. He's notably and sadly white-haired as well as having a very hoarse voice :( . He shows up around 1:03:00:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/off-broadway/article/VIDEO-Neil-Patrick-Harris-Leonard-Maltin-David-Copperfield-and-More-Take-Part-in-Milt-Larsens-90th-Birthday-Celebration-20210416

On 17/04/2021 at 15:43, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Love grew where his Rosemary went. RIP

The Dancing Troll, still alive and riddle  with arthritis, right?

I know Jim Steinman is already mentioned in Meatloaf's thread but not mentioning him in this category would be a great disservice to his legacy. Say what you want about this guy but he was the godfather of the power ballad.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Whitehouse said:

I know Jim Steinman is already mentioned in Meatloaf's thread but not mentioning him in this category would be a great disservice to his legacy. Say what you want about this guy but he was the godfather of the power ballad.

Agreed he belongs here.  I think of him as an excellent songwriter, period.  

Patsy Bruce, who co-wrote "Mammas Don';t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys", with husband Ed, has died aged 82.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, time said:

Patsy Bruce, who co-wrote "Mammas Don';t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys", with husband Ed, has died aged 82.

Of course much more famously covered by Waylon & Willie on their smash hit duet album in 1978

Report of the death of Steve Wolfe (Victor William Batty) who other than the tunes mentioned also co-wrote Beg Steal Or Borrow for The New Seekers for GB Eurovision: 

• Like 1

Chuck E. Weiss, songwriter, musician and LA music scene fixture, has died aged 76.

He was also instrumental in the revival of The Viper Rooms with Johnny Depp, and was the "Chuck E" that was in love in the Rickie Lee Jones hit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Many threads this could go in.

Mika Sundqvist (Finnish wiki page) music executive, composer, lyricist, musician, singer, comedian who owned the MSL studio dead aged 74 after a short illness:

https://www.iltalehti.fi/viihdeuutiset/a/b90fc47f-633c-4283-b847-6949ad08fafe

sundqvist_yljrvi.jpg.45c22276f50bb028eff9cad8962159bd.jpg

Founded the MSL studio in 1978. Many artists and bands with some, not "a lot but some international fame such as bands Yö, Eppu Normaali, Popeda, Riistetyt and artists Jussi "Juice" Leskinen (1950-2006) and Mikko Alatalo (1951-) recorded songs there.

About his career as a musician, he used to play bass in the backup bands of Paula Koivuniemi (1947-) and Irwin Goodman (1943-1991) and also wrote songs for Popeda.

His most known song was likely the comedy song "Moottoripyörä on moottoripyörä" translating to "a motorcycle is a motorcycle" where he sings about the superiority of motorcycles over motor scooters:

• Like 1

Sad news, Looks like Bobby Caldwell, Best known for his hit "What You Won't Do For Love" isn't doing so well, Definitely one to look out for.