25 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Lyricist Barrett Strong, known for writing "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone," and numerous other Motown hits, died at 81 years:

https://www.soultracks.com/story-barrett-strong-dies

Great songs. I didn't know that "Money (That's What I Want)" was originally recorded by him, although it seems he didn't write it.

Peter McCann, songwriter whose best known work is probably his solo writing effort Right Time Of The Night for Jennifer Warnes, reportedly dead: https://www.yourgeorgiacountry.com/news/nashville-notes/LVCDTWCAUYEDMW7SCENW4EG7JU/

Contrary to the report he did not write Crystal Gayle's "Brown Eyes Blue" number.

• Like 3

Tom Whitlock dead at 68. Probably most famous for writing "Take My Breath Away" and "Danger Zone" from Top Gun; the former won him an Oscar.

• Like 7

Interview with 83 year old Chip Taylor, in which he reveals he's having treatment for throat cancer.

Also, from which I just found out (I was today years old...) he's Jon Voight's brother/Angelina Jolie's Uncle.

• Like 2

Nothing definite yet but hearing through a reliable source that Bob Heatlie the Scottish singer/songwriter has died aged 76. He wrote Aneka's 'Japanese Boy' and Shaky's 'Merry Christmas Everyone'.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

On 10/04/2023 at 12:34, justonecornetto said:

Nothing definite yet but hearing through a reliable source that Bob Heatlie the Scottish singer/songwriter has died aged 76. He wrote Aneka's 'Japanese Boy' and Shaky's 'Merry Christmas Everyone'.

Bob Heatlie report. (Sorry its the Scottish Sun, but The Times also has it, but paywalled)

• Like 2

Bruce Welch, Graham Gouldman and Justin Hayward on the occasion of GG's recent birthday (as posted on GG's Facebook)

345905345_774621984169273_4680976010282839940_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s1080x2048&_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=wcq6zJVu0CYAX82m3RP&_nc_ht=scontent.ffab1-2.fna&oh=00_AfCawcFuSWwMO9rMzVNxzKDavGGVBpfaK7F-_lwdF6qx-g&oe=6464EE4F

• Like 2

On 18/04/2021 at 13:12, markb4 said:

Richard M. Sherman makes an appearance for the 90th birthday of The Magic Castle founder and magician, Milt Larsen. He's notably and sadly white-haired as well as having a very hoarse voice :( . He shows up around 1:03:00:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/off-broadway/article/VIDEO-Neil-Patrick-Harris-Leonard-Maltin-David-Copperfield-and-More-Take-Part-in-Milt-Larsens-90th-Birthday-Celebration-20210416

Just for cross-posting, Milt Larsen dead at 92.

Cynthia Weil, Who wrote legendary songs such as Here You Come Again and You’ve lost that Lovin’ feeling, dead at 82

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

4 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Cynthia Weil, Who wrote legendary songs such as Here You Come Again and You’ve lost that Lovin’ feeling, dead at 82

She gotta get out of this place, it's the last thing she ever do....

DDP pick. QO inevitable.

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Arguably the best pop songwriting partnership ever, at least the equal of Goffin/King, Bacharach/David, and the two dead blokes from Flowered Up. 

As I almost certainly said when Bobby Hatfield died, (s)he’s lost that livin’ feeling. She’s not getting better every day etc etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Singer/Songwriter Raymond "Froggy" Froggatt dead at 81:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-shropshire-66293361

Wrote hits for Cliff Richard and the Dave Clark Band.

Saw this on that oldies TV station not more than a couple of weeks ago, after not having heard it for years.

• Like 1

On 07/06/2023 at 23:03, YoungWillz said:

Jack Lee, who penned Hanging On The Telephone (Blondie) and Come Back And Stay (Paul Young) reportedly dead: https://pitchfork.com/news/the-nerves-jack-lee-who-penned-hanging-on-the-telephone-dies-at-71/

Colon cancer.

The video where Paul Young met his future wife (now dead)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

American songwriter Bob Feldman died aged 83. He notably wrote "My Boyfriend Is Back".

I don’t know if this the proper thread, is there a songwriter topic or something ?

Cross-posting Bob Feldman's death report here.

Couldn't let the following titbits pass. Corey Feldman's dad. Co-wrote Sorrow, a hit for The Merseys and covered by David Bowie, as well as I Want Candy which eventually became a UK hit for Bow Wow Wow.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

British songwriter Richard Kerr, the one who co-wrote Brandy for Scott English which became Mandy for Barry Manilow, reportedly dead: 

Also co-write I Know I'll Never Love This Way Again and Looks Like We Made It.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

British songwriter Richard Kerr, the one who co-wrote Brandy for Scott English which became Mandy for Barry Manilow, reportedly dead: 

Also co-write I Know I'll Never Love This Way Again and Looks Like We Made It.

“Oh Grimmy, you came and you took without giving.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

“Oh Grimmy, you came and you took without giving.”

I might have gone with "Looks Like He Didn't Make It"...:lol:

• Like 1