honez

Clive James

He was dropped for my DDP team back in October when I saw that article.

Yes, he's not a well man, and I don't give him an awful long time to go but as he says, the "near the end" was just a bit over-the-top. So I think he's one for 2 or 3 years.

That's actually one pick I would be very sad to see us get.

Writer Peter Goldsworthy sees the epigram, or aphorism, as the building block of all James' writing and considers him to be ''an enormously underrated poet''.

''As many people have probably read his light comic verse such as The Book of My Enemy Has Been Remaindered as have read his classic memoirs, but his enduring achievement might be in poems such as Go Back to the Opal Sunset, or The Lions at Taronga.

''His most recent book, Nefertiti in the Flak Tower, contains many poems of this order - such as Whitman and the Moth or Silent Sky, his powerful elegy for his friend Peter Porter.

''Sadly, his illness means he will probably never see the sunsets, or hear the lions again - which gives these poems a special poignancy.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/books/poignant-tribute-in-poets-sunset-years-20130125-2dc1x.html#ixzz2JRmIhiu4

I still feel he will go this year. I too would be sad to see him go , I liked his presenting style.

• Like 1

frail, but cheerful

<quote>Claerwen James says although her dad, 73, is not well, he's in much better shape than he was last year.

The broadcaster and writer was diagnosed with leukaemia and lung disease in 2010.

“He is not as robust as one would wish, but I have high hopes he will be with us for some time,” the 43-year-old artist told London's Evening Standard newspaper. ''He's frail but he's working. He's cheerful and he's writing a lot of poetry, which I'm thrilled by.”</quote>

Guest American Sports Fan

Q&A with Clive from the New York Times Book Review section this past Sunday.

Probably his most interesting quote from a DL'ers perspective, when asked what books he liked to re-read:

"I don’t do much rereading anymore because I’ve been ill and feel that I’m running out of time."

Good form guide in yesterday's Guardian detailing the battle with emphysema, leukaemia and assorted carcenomas. Oh yeah, and he's in a two up two down in Cambridge because his marriage melted when the details of a long-term affair became public. Currently battling through to publish and promote a new book but too ill (i.e. can't go more than three weeks away from Addenbrooks Hospital) to travel to Australia to promote it.

He's is one of ours for sure, just not sure whether it's short or medium term.

He has just had his translation of Dante's The Divine Comedy published and has taken the opportunity to slag off Dan Brown.

Evidence of health or last swan song?

My guess, although probably inaccurate, is that he'll check out around mid-2014. Should be a very popular Drop 40 pick next year and may even take the top spot on the DL.

He has just had his translation of Dante's The Divine Comedy published and has taken the opportunity to slag off Dan Brown.

Read that condescending piece on Dan Brown this morning in the i and laughed when Clive also made a bit of a schoolboy error; claiming Jessica Ennis as a Pentathlete. Jessica Ennis-Hill (as she now is) competes in the Heptathlon.

Not sure if it's evidence of the normally accurate Clive losing a few marbles or simply not caring enough to follow up all facts in the final check. I think he'll mock our decisions to pick him this year; but on the evidence available I think 1 Jan 2015 is a day he won't see.

Read that condescending piece on Dan Brown this morning in the i and laughed when Clive also made a bit of a schoolboy error; claiming Jessica Ennis as a Pentathlete. Jessica Ennis-Hill (as she now is) competes in the Heptathlon.

Not sure if it's evidence of the normally accurate Clive losing a few marbles or simply not caring enough to follow up all facts in the final check. I think he'll mock our decisions to pick him this year; but on the evidence available I think 1 Jan 2015 is a day he won't see.

I read it this morning and thought it funny in a warm and mocking way. It made me miss the TV show he used to do on the BBC.

I still like him.

• Like 1

Clive James was on Front Row last night primarily to promote his translation of The Divine Comedy but he was frank about his health. He said he is not as ill as he was last year when the news broke but he cannot be away from Addenbrookes hospital for more than three weeks and he doesn't expect to see Australia again but he does hope to be able to complete another book.

I think he will now not come up trumps this year but I would be in no rush to take him off for next year.

I picked him in the latest next death poll so wrong again for me.

Those in the UK - Clive James giving interview on Channel 4 News at 7pm tonight.......

Those in the UK - Clive James giving interview on Channel 4 News at 7pm tonight.......

Emmerdale is on ITV...

• Like 1

Watched the Clive James interview tonight was mostly about his work and opinions - the health update he gave was more of a re-cap.The only thing I noticed different about him was that he had lost some weight but not enough to provoke any real concern!

Guest Guest

I have a feeling that Clive James is exaggerating the seriousness of his ilness.He might even be using it to try and get more publicity and therefore work. I think he wil live for many years to come

I have a feeling that Clive James is exaggerating the seriousness of his ilness.He might even be using it to try and get more publicity and therefore work. I think he wil live for many years to come

You are quite clearly a massive twat.

• Like 5

Clive reflects on his mortality: http://www.abc.net.a...rtality/4929264

"I won't be buying a ticket to Switzerland so I can book into some clinic and pay people to put me into a long, deep sleep. I can get that from television here," he quipped.

"The truth is I've got almost everything wrong; my lungs are in bad shape ... I have to have my immune system replaced every three weeks," he said.

Clive reflects on his mortality: http://www.abc.net.a...rtality/4929264

"I won't be buying a ticket to Switzerland so I can book into some clinic and pay people to put me into a long, deep sleep. I can get that from television here," he quipped.

"The truth is I've got almost everything wrong; my lungs are in bad shape ... I have to have my immune system replaced every three weeks," he said.

I've always wondered if his endless stream of positive reviews in the Telegraph were really genuine or he just writes them because he fears people will write him off as a grumpy old man, and then he'll eventually get canned by the paper. I think this remark gives me some indication.

Also he really looks like shit now.

I think he's set to throw in the towel. Clive James not being acerbic about television is like a simile without an imile...

• Like 3

Looking pretty lonely as the only member of the top five still in possession of a beating heart.

8 Days, Clive, just hold out 8 days...

Yesterday was on Start The Week with Andrew Marr (Radio 4). BBC have kindly posted a picture.

Anyone who hasn't picked him for 2014 can think again after that.

• Like 1

Yesterday was on Start The Week with Andrew Marr (Radio 4). BBC have kindly posted a picture.

Anyone who hasn't picked him for 2014 can think again after that.

oh man that is really quite sad seeing him like that :( , reminds me little of steve jobs last pic.

Sheesh, looks bad.

Although having listened to it I scored him out of next year.

Sharp as fuck, leukemia in remission though emphasema bothering him.