honez

Clive James

A goner. Even more of a goner now that I've realised he's not on my DDP Team*

*Although he is on my thedeadpool team, thank fuck...

That's handy to know. I'm still putting together my DDP list

At the risk of being quoted in a few months with mocking laughter, his voice sounds stronger than it did a few months back, and I'm reminded of Bobby Heenan, who has looked ghastly for years now.

Terminal, yes, but in years rather than months - I think he'll see 2015.

• Like 1

What are you all talking about? He looks fucking younger than ever, I dunno what kind of miracle face cream he's using but I want some. Also, I'm loving the new ginger hairdo.

Guest Colin

He sounds totally lucid and glad to hear that he's pain free (although clearly still ill). Hope he's around for some time yet, a unique scholar and thinker.

Was just on Newsnight, he doesn't look well but remains sharp and lucid as ever. Who knows how long he'll last?

Looks like it might be for content reasons than health issues.

His departure comes four months after the departure of the man who hired him, former Telegraph editor Tony Gallagher.

Or maybe both. Looks like the new editor thinks he doesn't quite fit in with what the newspaper should be. He's just not as cool as some of their other scintillating cultural columnists like, er.......... uh................

• Like 1

Guest Guest

I confidently predict that Clive James will live for many years to come

I confidently predict that Clive James will live for many years to come

He's fucked then.

• Like 2

Probably because he worked at the BBC for a while. You might as well be a member of the Taliban as far the Telegraph are concerned...

• Like 1

Den whyduddey 'ire 'im indafurstplace, guv?

I think it's just he's an old man, and the previous editor decided that being an old man who used to have a funny/well known show lends the paper some kind of old-school "credibility". And the new one decided that it just makes them look like a place full of old people.

I've actually read some of his recent columns (something to read while on the shitter I guess) and they were moderately entertaining just because of his writing style despite the fact that 98% of the shows he reviews I have never watched and have no intention of watching. I did get a bit annoyed when he used the word "piquant" recently though, very shit and pretentious-seeming word that makes me gag a bit.

I have a lot of respect for Clive James and he is much more than his old TV shows. He is a writer, poet and thinker. His R4 Point of View about Amy Winehouse recorded months before she died is worth seeking out.

I wish him well.

Private Eye report on this says that James was fired and that he'd recently made a "farewell trip" to The Telegraph offices. Whether that was a farewell because he knew he was gonna be 86d or because his leukaemia has reached tipping point, idk.

Private Eye report on this says that James was fired and that he'd recently made a "farewell trip" to The Telegraph offices. Whether that was a farewell because he knew he was gonna be 86d or because his leukaemia has reached tipping point, idk.

23svv9x.jpg

On Monday morning he read his recent poem on Radio 4's Today programme prior to the broadcast of the interview today. It was very moving but I do not think Clive will be on the list in 2015.

Well Clive, just hop on a train to Manchester and hang out in Canal Street for a couple of hours, it's almost the same.

As for him "saying goodbye"....... aren't we coming up to about the two-year anniversary of him first melodramatically saying "I'm dying"? And he's still here. Talk about the boy who cried "dingo".

Guest Guest

On Monday morning he read his recent poem on Radio 4's Today programme prior to the broadcast of the interview today. It was very moving but I do not think Clive will be on the list in 2015.

he won't be on the list in 2015 because he's dead allready?

Well Clive, just hop on a train to Manchester and hang out in Canal Street for a couple of hours, it's almost the same.

As for him "saying goodbye"....... aren't we coming up to about the two-year anniversary of him first melodramatically saying "I'm dying"? And he's still here. Talk about the boy who cried "dingo".

Wasn't there an article a year or so ago with him saying he won't get to see Sydney again?

Yeah there was. I think he could have walked there by now!

In fact I would volunteer to carry the oxygen tank for him just to shut him up.

Yeah there was. I think he could have walked there by now!

In fact I would volunteer to carry the oxygen tank for him just to shut him up.

21st June 2012

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-18532310

"The wistfulness is really building up and I'm facing the possibility I might never see Sydney again."