honez

Clive James

On Monday morning he read his recent poem on Radio 4's Today programme prior to the broadcast of the interview today. It was very moving but I do not think Clive will be on the list in 2015.

he won't be on the list in 2015 because he's dead allready?

That was the point I was trying to make.

Thank you for the additional clarity I am sure all the other posters here would welcome these interventions to make our ranting drivel intelligible to all.

From this article

''But the trick is not to overdo it and don't do it too long. As my friend PJ O'Rourke once told me, he said, 'You're going to have to soft pedal this death's door stuff, Clive, because people are going to get impatient.' ''

Are there any particular people he might mean?

I confess to not reading too much here nowdays, however, I did give this thread a bash.

Im bound to ask the obvious question: "Just what the fuck are some of you on?"

There are certain parallels between James and my life at the moment.

My Dad was recently diagnosed with cancer.

Now, he is undergoing treatment, fingers crossed and God willing ( If there really is one) he will beat it and be the wonderful Dad he was before he became ill.

So what, might you ask, has this all got to do with Clive James?

Well my Dad is 72 years old and, lets be honest here, has a considerably shorter natural life span than the average 30 or even 49 year old ( like wot I am) so, assuming he does recover, the odds of a recurrence, relapse or something else going wrong is considerably higher than the average fit and healthy adult half his age.

Its fair to say that he is being utterly positive, as is his family, that he will still be able to soldier on for years to come.

Ditto Clive James.

Well he may be a self absorbed cunt, a raconteur that loves the sound of his own voice, infact he may be a multitude of things.

What he certainly is though, is a man fighting tooth and nail to stay alive.

Ditto my Dad.

Some of you cunts are taking the attitude "Not dead yet?" "Hurry up and die for fuck sakes!!"

The fact that a 74 year old man with a terminal illness is still alive two years after its first diagnosis says more about medical science and sheer will than anything else.

The man is hanging on, don't knock it.

One day it may be you.

Yours

Butt hurt

• Like 8

I confess to not reading too much here nowdays, however, I did give this thread a bash.

Im bound to ask the obvious question: "Just what the fuck are some of you on?"

There are certain parallels between James and my life at the moment.

My Dad was recently diagnosed with cancer.

Now, he is undergoing treatment, fingers crossed and God willing ( If there really is one) he will beat it and be the wonderful Dad he was before he became ill.

So what, might you ask, has this all got to do with Clive James?

Well my Dad is 72 years old and, lets be honest here, has a considerably shorter natural life span than the average 30 or even 49 year old ( like wot I am) so, assuming he does recover, the odds of a recurrence, relapse or something else going wrong is considerably higher than the average fit and healthy adult half his age.

Its fair to say that he is being utterly positive, as is his family, that he will still be able to soldier on for years to come.

Ditto Clive James.

Well he may be a self absorbed cunt, a raconteur that loves the sound of his own voice, infact he may be a multitude of things.

What he certainly is though, is a man fighting tooth and nail to stay alive.

Ditto my Dad.

Some of you cunts are taking the attitude "Not dead yet?" "Hurry up and die for fuck sakes!!"

The fact that a 74 year old man with a terminal illness is still alive two years after its first diagnosis says more about medical science and sheer will than anything else.

The man is hanging on, don't knock it.

One day it may be you.

Yours

Butt hurt

LFN

You and I have not always seen eye-to-eye on this site in the past, be that as it may. I hope you permit me to say that I feel for you in your current circumstances. I too know the feeling of having a father diagnosed with cancer. I was considerably younger at the time (in my teens) and Dad was in his forties. I understand the feeling of not knowing what to do, a sense of helplessness and distress at not knowing what the future holds. it wasn't until my Dad went into remission that an immense wave of relief washed over me (I hope you experience that same feeling) Dad's in his late sixties now and every six months when he returns for a checkup my family holds it's collective breath for the results, my father is not a healthy man but he is alive. Unfortunately for Clive James, it appears he will not experience this relief. My only hope is that he is made comfortable in his final moments.

LFN I'm sure you've already realised this, but my advise (for what it is worth) is to cherish every moment you have together (its been 21 years since my Dad was diagnosed and I still cherish moments). It can be a strange bond between father and son, but what your above post tells me is that your relationship is strong, in short keep it going it will give your Dad strength.

• Like 1

He's published some poetry. It seems pretty bleak, but then again, it is poetry.

At least the news article mentions that he's still being treated in hospital

I think his friend P.J O`Rourke has a valid point! Put it this way if he was a regular dinner party guest of mine I would be yawning each time he mentions the "departure lounge". I suppose it makes a nice change from these overly optimistic celebrities (not naming names) who think they are indestructible despite being well and truly medically fucked.

http://www.cbc.ca/thesundayedition/popupaudio.html?clipIds=2507086143 -Here`s a recent interview with Clive from a few days ago. Nothing really new Leukaemia in remission still can`t fly etc. I think we should drop him from next years list.He is not a well man but is still active in remission from cancer and is not in the latter stages of emphysema yet.What does everyone else think?

http://www.cbc.ca/th...pIds=2507086143 -Here`s a recent interview with Clive from a few days ago. Nothing really new Leukaemia in remission still can`t fly etc. I think we should drop him from next years list. He is not a well man but is still active in remission from cancer and is not in the latter stages of emphysema yet. What does everyone else think?

I think personally he is nearing the end of his time...

Clive's latest poem, which learned people are interpreting as him expecting his time to be up in the autumn.
  • Like 1

Clive's latest poem, which learned people are interpreting as him expecting his time to be up in the autumn.

What we really want to know: which autumn?

regards,

Hein

I wonder what has changed recently in his health to make him go from that fairly cheery interview to this poem which he basically gives himself a few weeks at a push?

I saw Frank Turner at a gig on Saturday night, and he's written some song about Clive James, or dedicated to him or something. I cant really remember how it went, but he just mentioned about his general state of being unwell. I dont think thats any advancement on what we already know about him, but its still related nonetheless

I wonder what has changed recently in his health to make him go from that fairly cheery interview to this poem which he basically gives himself a few weeks at a push?

Not necessarily. He may be hinting at the autumn that starts around March 2015 on the southern hemisphere. Or the autumn that starts around September 2020 on the northern one, for that matter.

• Like 2

He could be but the tree from his daughter is in his house in England and the leaves change colour in a few weeks time.He seems to have a degree of certainty this time that he is a goner as he has put a time frame on his lifespan as opposed to just saying he is near the end.

He could be but the tree from his daughter is in his house in England and the leaves change colour in a few weeks time.He seems to have a degree of certainty this time that he is a goner as he has put a time frame on his lifespan as opposed to just saying he is near the end.

Yeah, but he has a track record as a joker too.

Just sayin', like.

• Like 1

Yeah he has but the poem seems pretty specific in timescale maybe his kidneys are playing up again or the cancer has come back.

75 today !!!!

• Like 1

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2014-10-13/clive-james-on-cancer-coping-and-his-love-of-poetry/ -In this interview on Monday he admits he doesn`t know how long he has got but he certainly doesn`t look as bad as I thought he would.Japenese Maple used poetic license and he hasn`t deteriated recently.It appears to only be the emphysema which is the issue but one can go on for some time with emphysema like Liz Dawn and Kenneth Cope have.Maybe they might be better bets next year? I have a feeling Clive is just being over dramatic about being near the end .Yeah he is ill for sure but there are many other picks we could use that are in worse shape than him and have crapper prognosis's.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-29680507 -Reads Japanese Maple for the BBC.Pay attention to the noticeable wheeze at the end of every sentence.

If you have to pay attention, it's not that noticeable....?

Fuck it, in some ways he sounds better than some people I know. Still lots of bass in his voice. Really sick of the non-updates on this guy. Especially this particular one just cos you made me look at Andrew Marr for no reason.

Who else thinks Clive James should be taken off next years list?