honez

Clive James

He was able to chat for 24 mins. Looks as above, voice well it kept going which is a plus. Says he doesnt have long left but laughed when told he said that a decade ago. Apparently he is guinea pig 341 (give or take a few off my memory or so) in the trial for that drug, and the doctors are taking notes on how long he survives. And he's considerably outlived their original guess. Also, he seemed to imply he can no longer travel even outside of Cambridge - Australia is long gone for him, as apparently is even London. Says his two regrets are not being able to read much any more due to health, and that he's going to miss all the big political upheaval in the next decade or so, spoken as though someone's favourite TV show had been axed on a cliffhanger!

Otherwise, clearly getting frailer compared to a year or two ago, and can probably count his life span in months rather than years... but... hell, I think we all said that years ago. In among all that luck he accredits, he's clearly a very successful fighter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm just wondering if he can make it to 80 now.  7th of October 2019.   He's done really well to get as far as he has though even if he went tomorrow (which he won't do of course).

4 hours ago, msc said:

He was able to chat for 24 mins. Looks as above, voice well it kept going which is a plus. Says he doesnt have long left but laughed when told he said that a decade ago. Apparently he is guinea pig 341 (give or take a few off my memory or so) in the trial for that drug, and the doctors are taking notes on how long he survives. And he's considerably outlived their original guess. Also, he seemed to imply he can no longer travel even outside of Cambridge - Australia is long gone for him, as apparently is even London. Says his two regrets are not being able to read much any more due to health, and that he's going to miss all the big political upheaval in the next decade or so, spoken as though someone's favourite TV show had been axed on a cliffhanger!

Otherwise, clearly getting frailer compared to a year or two ago, and can probably count his life span in months rather than years... but... hell, I think we all said that years ago. In among all that luck he accredits, he's clearly a very successful fighter.

I think we can agree he won't die this year then, but he should be on next years list ?

Not sure. 3 and a half months is still a long time for someone who is clearly starting to look much frailer and is struggling to breath normally. I do think he’s more likely to see the year out than not, but somethings nagging me that this is it, and he could be going more quickly than expected...

Has the feel of a Boxing Day death. Someone famous always seems to die on Boxing Day. 

So, you guys are suggesting that he’s this years Sadhana Shivdasani then.

Another birthday Clive?

Spoiling yourself. :birthday:

18 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Another birthday Clive?

Spoiling yourself. :birthday:

And our chances

Clive James interview tonight: 

He doesn’t look great but I actually think on this evidence he doesn’t look that bad either all things considered. Probably at least evens he finally goes in 2019 but he’s had a bloody good go at trying to outrun the Reaper for a long time now. 

11 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Clive James interview tonight: 

Then why not put your money where your mouth is you smug antipodean baldy bastard 

Fuck, thought this would be a second hit when I first saw it.

45 minutes ago, Putin said:

Why? Doesn't it always have the red "dead" tag next to their name if they've met their demise?

2 hours ago, Yama said:

Why? Doesn't it always have the red "dead" tag next to their name if they've met their demise?

Its not always put up there right away

11 hours ago, Putin said:

He won't die until final episode of GOT has aired - he's been hanging on for it. So 5 weeks from 14th/15th April (after 20th May) then he could die any time.

Winter is here.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

He won't die until final episode of GOT has aired - he's been hanging on for it. So 5 weeks from 14th/15th April (after 20th May) then he could die any time.

Winter is here.

Of course!  That accounts for it being a slow year so far .... Expect a deluge of death from late May onward  :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

Winter is here.

If memory serves me correctly Warren Zevon quipped he could handle dying but missing the James Bond movie in production when he got his terminal diagnoses would be a pisser. Despite hanging on in hope he went before it was finished.

14 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

If memory serves me correctly Warren Zevon quipped he could handle dying but missing the James Bond movie in production when he got his terminal diagnoses would be a pisser. Despite hanging on in hope he went before it was finished.

Die Another Day was released in 2002 so he probably saw it. Imagine going out on the worst Bond film ever made. Reminds me of my grandad hanging on with Stage IV to see Celtic win that Scottish Cup that season (they did) only to announce "that match was shite,  I shouldn't have bothered!" :lol:

Jock Scot who was popular on here few year back found out he was terminal in early January 2014. Massive football fan, his first thoughts were "Fuck, I'm going to miss the World Cup!" He hung on long enough to see that, and longer, and just to prove the Reaper has a sense of humour, he eventually died... a mere few weeks before the start of Euro 2016!

4 hours ago, msc said:

Die Another Day was released in 2002 so he probably saw it. Imagine going out on the worst Bond film ever made. Reminds me of my grandad hanging on with Stage IV to see Celtic win that Scottish Cup that season (they did) only to announce "that match was shite,  I shouldn't have bothered!" :lol:

Jock Scot who was popular on here few year back found out he was terminal in early January 2014. Massive football fan, his first thoughts were "Fuck, I'm going to miss the World Cup!" He hung on long enough to see that, and longer, and just to prove the Reaper has a sense of humour, he eventually died... a mere few weeks before the start of Euro 2016!

My bad - in fact his Wiki page even notes he DID see the movie.

Fair point, mind - not a Bond fan so I'm a poor judge but I did see it and think it average at best

On 01/04/2019 at 13:41, msc said:

Reminds me of my grandad hanging on with Stage IV to see Celtic win that Scottish Cup that season (they did) only to announce "that match was shite,  I shouldn't have bothered!" :lol:

That's such a scottish thing to say lol

• Haha 1