honez

Clive James

Just waiting for DDT to trump that one with a Tonga crown prince whose nickname alone has a scrabble deficit of 5000...

Bumping this thread given we are almost at New Year's Eve, and that's just the sort of date CJ would go to spite us all...

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Bumping this thread given we are almost at New Year's Eve, and that's just the sort of date CJ would go to spite us all...

Saw this updated and just thought don't you dare have died Clive!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No new articles for much of 2017, even his die hard fans are beginning to lose faith in any new Clive James stuff now.

Surely he's 24 hours and a bit off returning to the Deathlist.

• Like 2

I would be really surprised if Clive wasn't put back on the list.Clearly nearing the end now.

Considering he spent 5 years shouting "I'm dying " from the rooftops and now he has suddenly gone silent for 6 months is clearly ominous.

41 minutes ago, msc said:

No new articles for much of 2017, even his die hard fans are beginning to lose faith in any new Clive James stuff now.

Surely he's 24 hours and a bit off returning to the Deathlist.

Imagine if he went tomorrow!

Spade would scream.

10 minutes ago, Sean said:

Considering he spent 5 years shouting "I'm dying " from the rooftops and now he has suddenly gone silent for 6 months is clearly ominous.

Not quite, he did a podcast back in August and sounded alright there. Though I do think his health has deteriorated significantly in the past year, he mentioned in one of his articles that he had recently possessed a wheelchair due to his mobility worsening. Then of course he stopped writing for the Guardian, due to not being able to keep up with deadlines, presumably because of his illness. Definitely one for the 2018 Deathlist I would think.

Mind, I wouldn't be too fussed if he went in the next 24 hours.

1 minute ago, The Dead Cow said:

Of course you wouldn't! You! :P 

20 minutes ago, The Dead Cow said:

Not quite, he did a podcast back in August and sounded alright there. Though I do think his health has deteriorated significantly in the past year, he mentioned in one of his articles that he had recently possessed a wheelchair due to his mobility worsening. Then of course he stopped writing for the Guardian, due to not being able to keep up with deadlines, presumably because of his illness. Definitely one for the 2018 Deathlist I would think.

Aah, someone else saw/heard the podcast.... 

Sounded alright back then, but yes, the recent silence is ominous. In my opinion, a better-than-50:50 punt. Maybe 60:40? As a 10-pointer, he's probably my second-biggest question mark (the biggest question mark is, in my opinion, such a DDT pick...). Still I recall him saying that Game Of Thrones is keeping him alive. The final season is planned to air in late 2018...

I thought I'd seen somewhere that the last GOT season was scheduled for 2019? Even though there are only 6 episodes there's obviously going to be huge special effects and post production work going into it.  I think Clive still has a long wait to see the end of GOT.

He has lasted a long time though. He must be nearly 80 now and surely he's been able to do everything he wanted to do since his prognosis in 2010/11?

42 minutes ago, RolandDeschain said:

I thought I'd seen somewhere that the last GOT season was scheduled for 2019? Even though there are only 6 episodes there's obviously going to be huge special effects and post production work going into it.  I think Clive still has a long wait to see the end of GOT.

You are correct.  There's little doubt that it won't be on till 2019.

Oh is it 2019 now? Boo...

• Sad 1

Glad to see Mr James back on DL

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

Glad to see Mr James back on DL

Yeah but I don't think he'll have much chance to get comfy on it.

On 31/12/2017 at 16:14, gcreptile said:

Oh is it 2019 now? Boo...

Officially confirmed now.

Not sure where this leaves Clive :unsure:

A lot of it is filmed around where I live which can lead to some odd encounters when out walking. The first time we bumped into them I thought we had ran into some sort of cult in the woods until 2 guys stepped out of the bushes with a camera and tripod. Now we also get bus loads of Yanks dressed up the same on tours, but at least now they have stopped them from bringing swords ect with them, that was just waiting to happen!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, One shot Paddy said:

A lot of it is filmed around where I live which can lead to some odd encounters when out walking. The first time we bumped into them I thought we had ran into some sort of cult in the woods until 2 guys stepped out of the bushes with a camera and tripod. Now we also get bus loads of Yanks dressed up the same on tours, but at least now they have stopped them from bringing swords ect with them, that was just waiting to happen!!!

Tollymore forest park? Or you up at the quarry?  Same keeps happening to my cousins - I've been encouraging them to try n get 'extra' work.

Tollymore and the Mournes outside Hilltown and I drive past the studios at Corbet where they do loads of the green screen work, they are masive (70 × 250 feet ish) so you can see them from the road. 2 years ago there was a war encampment in the field next to the road. There is good money for the extras, I know of a guy got "killed" 6 times in 2 weeks and made over 3 grand!

• Like 2

A new poem of his has been published in The New Yorker, although the first stanza suggests it was written in the Summer. In it, he reflects on mortality and how long he might have left. It's very touching, but it seems to signal that he might not have long left.

• Like 1

He's back !!! New article:

" As my latest stay in hospital came to an end, the second series of The Crown was just starting on Netflix. Since my prescribed formula for rehabilitation consisted mainly of the instruction just to lie there and shut up, I had nothing to do except maintain the horizontal position and watch the delightful Claire Foy plough onward in her role of Queen. I thought she coped nobly. "

" Soon, there will be new actors to play the Queen and her consort: and soon, in real life, the cast must also change. Some of you [my emphasis] will be lucky enough to see it all happen. Meanwhile the rest of us can go on being reminded about what life was once like. "

Hang on in there Clive. (even though you're on my list)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

He's back !!! New article:

" As my latest stay in hospital came to an end, the second series of The Crown was just starting on Netflix. Since my prescribed formula for rehabilitation consisted mainly of the instruction just to lie there and shut up, I had nothing to do except maintain the horizontal position and watch the delightful Claire Foy plough onward in her role of Queen. I thought she coped nobly. "

" Soon, there will be new actors to play the Queen and her consort: and soon, in real life, the cast must also change. Some of you [my emphasis] will be lucky enough to see it all happen. Meanwhile the rest of us can go on being reminded about what life was once like. "

Hang on in there Clive. (even though you're on my list)

Absolutely echo that YiA.  The world will be a far duller place without him.

• Like 1

That article was so sad. He really has a great way with words.

• Like 1