the_engineer

Law And Order

46 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

4EA72C42-388A-42F8-B773-E24A257290B5.gif

Are you telling me SC clicks on the link of Paula Dean’s brother dying but completely misses the onion article?

• Like 1

Thai judge Kanakorn Pianchana shoots himself in court after delivering a speech about injustice.  He is recovering in hospital and who knows what entertainment he has in mind for 2020.

• Haha 1

Samuel Mayerson, the L.A. County prosecutor who helped win a conviction against newspaper heiress Patty Hearst and then in a stunning display of compassion urged the court to spare her more time behind bars for her crimes, has died at his home in Rancho Palos Verdes.

Later in private practice, Mayerson was at the center of the fantastical Howard Hughes fake will trial, a case so astonishing that the story practically wrote itself as a Hollywood movie script.

Active as a judge until late in life, Mayerson died Sept. 30 of natural causes. He was 96.
SC

Bradley “Brad” Underwood, the first judge to preside over the 364th District Court in Lubbock, TX, died Sunday from a sudden illness. He was 65.

Underwood was described Monday as a well-respected leader in the Lubbock legal community and was known as a firm, but fair, jurist.

Underwood presided over the 364th District Court when it was created in 1989 and retired from the bench in 2014 and has since served as a senior district judge. 
SC

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Bradley “Brad” Underwood, the first judge to preside over the 364th District Court in Lubbock, TX, died Sunday from a sudden illness. He was 65.

Underwood was described Monday as a well-respected leader in the Lubbock legal community and was known as a firm, but fair, jurist.

Underwood presided over the 364th District Court when it was created in 1989 and retired from the bench in 2014 and has since served as a senior district judge. 
SC

Underwood, now Underground.

Robert I. Berdon, a liberal Republican who was the first of Gov. Lowell P. Weicker Jr.’s four appointments to the Connecticut Supreme Court, where the justice was known for keen legal scholarship, a soft-spoken manner and acerbic dissents, died Thursday. He was 89.

Berdon was passed over for the Supreme Court by Weicker’s predecessor, William A. O’Neil, in the late 1980s, even though Berdon had seniority on the trial bench, an attribute that once carried weight in judicial promotions.

But Berdon, a former state treasurer appointed to the trial bench by Gov. Thomas J. Meskill in 1973, was thought to be too much of an activist for O’Neill, a socially conservative Democrat and observant Catholic. In 1981, Berdon ruled in a case that Connecticut had to pay for abortions for women who could not afford them.

Berdon was the author of more than 400 dissenting opinions during his eight years as a justice of the seven-member court.
SC

On 26/09/2019 at 11:30, The Old Crem said:

The Police, Crime and Victims Commissioner for Durham, Ron Hogg, has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.

Surprisingly short battle with ALS for Ron Hogg, who has died aged 68. Presumably would have been on a couple of 2020 DDP outfits.

3 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Surprisingly short battle with ALS for Ron Hogg, who has died aged 68. Presumably would have been on a couple of 2020 DDP outfits.

Bit early for the 2021 shortlist to start dying, even by DDP standards.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

This should be posted to anyone associated with that backwards racist-protecting Supreme Court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrFOb_f7ubw

5 minutes ago, Banana said:

Please don't tell me we're gonna post the death of any cop now

No but police officers dying on duty is very rare in the UK especially in a car crash or accident and thus noteworthy. 

21 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

No but police officers dying on duty is very rare in the UK especially in a car crash or accident and thus noteworthy. 

Not that rare.  This one makes interesting reading though.

https://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/news/29177/woman-cleared-of-causing-crash-which-killed-thatcham-policeman.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Hell we lose a couple dozen a year just from people running them over on the side of the road during a routine stop.  Let YouTube be your friend.  You telling me UK drivers are different?   

41 minutes ago, Toast said:

Gosh that was an interesting read  thanks.Obviously very sad but interesting dynamics to that particular incident. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Hell we lose a couple dozen a year just from people running them over on the side of the road during a routine stop.  Let YouTube be your friend.  You telling me UK drivers are different?   

It would really only because handful of cases a year at most .I'm an avid consumer of news and I haven't heard of it very often.Admittely it is more frequent than  police officers being murdered on duty.

One thing as a big consumer of news that I have noticed is more common than police officers dying on duty is police officers being sacked and more often convicted and jailed for having sex with or being sexually inappropriate with female members of the public including vulnerable domestic violence victims whilst either on duty or harassing them after they have used their job to get their contact details!

I have no idea if there is a lot of that in the USA but there seems to be in the UK. 

I know why American politzi get run over.  We have shite driving habits.

Here’s a shot taken by SirC as he and Boudicca cross the Skye Bridge.  He is driving, wrong side of car wrong side of road, steering with his knees so he can take this photo to one day post on DL.  Coulda plunged to our deaths.  Or run over a cop.  All sorts of bad American driving habits going on here.

SC

F6F91D51-6141-4B02-ADF9-87EC040247D8.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I know why American politzi get run over.  We have shite driving habits.

Here’s a shot taken by SirC as he and Boudicca cross the Skye Bridge.  He is driving, wrong side of car wrong side of road, steering with his knees so he can take this photo to one day post on DL.  Coulda plunged to our deaths.  Or run over a cop.  All sorts of bad American driving habits going on here.

SC

F6F91D51-6141-4B02-ADF9-87EC040247D8.jpeg

It's a beautiful photo though!

The Supreme Court of Illinois announced Monday that Justice Charles E. Freeman has died at the age of 86. Justice Freeman had a long and distinguish career as the first African American to serve on the Court and as Chief Justice.
SC

Hon. Johnny Lee Baynes, a judge in Brooklyn since 2005, died on Thursday of pneumonia related to the novel coronavirus outbreak that has plagued New York City and the world. He was 64 years old.

SC