the_engineer

Law And Order

5 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Gerald Shur, a lawyer with the U.S. Justice Department for 34 years and the man who founded the Federal Witness Protection Program, has died. He was 86.

https://www.inquirer.com/obituaries/gerald-shur-founder-witness-protection-program-federal-la-cosa-nostra-mafia-mob-killing-died-dies-obituary-20200831.html

How can we be Shur it's his real name?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steve Barnes, an American lawyer and one half of Cellino & Barnes, who have advertised on television seemingly forever, has died. He was 61. Barnes perished in a plane crash. The legal firm was located in Buffalo and its ads are seen in markets with Buffalo channels, including Toronto and Ottawa.

https://people.com/human-interest/lawyer-steve-barnes-of-cellino-and-barnes-dead-plane-crash/

• Like 1

Louis Kealoha, a former police chief and prosecutor from Honolulu, HI, has been sentenced to 13 years for federal fraud and other crimes.  
Now our U.S. prison system is a bit odd, and those convicted of federal crimes can serve their time in any federal prison in the country.  So it’s very unlikely Kealoha will be housed in Hawaii, and less likely in a high security facility, and even less likely part of the general population.

BUT.... should anyone discover he was a police chief/prosecutor, well, he won’t survive the 6+ years he will be serving.

SirCunto

1 hour ago, Sir Cunto said:

Louis Kealoha, a former police chief and prosecutor from Honolulu, HI, has been sentenced to 13 years for federal fraud and other crimes.  
Now our U.S. prison system is a bit odd, and those convicted of federal crimes can serve their time in any federal prison in the country.  So it’s very unlikely Kealoha will be housed in Hawaii, and less likely in a high security facility, and even less likely part of the general population.

BUT.... should anyone discover he was a police chief/prosecutor, well, he won’t survive the 6+ years he will be serving.

SirCunto

Oh please. People always "Guy won't surrive prison" but they do. Prison is not exciting.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear of the death of a former colleague and dare I say friend Professor Robert Rennie: https://www.harpermacleod.co.uk/news/2021/january/a-tribute-to-professor-robert-rennie/

A consummate and learned scholar of legal practice, particularly in land and contract law, I worked with him and against him in some interesting cases. Even after I left to care for my folks, I remained in touch seeking his support as a referee for any future employment.

Probably will not find anyone working in the law in Scotland who had a bad word to say about him - and I can confirm a genuinely funny and deeply passionate professional.

RIP Robert. :(

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

22 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'm sorry to hear of the death of a former colleague and dare I say friend Professor Robert Rennie: https://www.harpermacleod.co.uk/news/2021/january/a-tribute-to-professor-robert-rennie/

A consummate and learned scholar of legal practice, particularly in land and contract law, I worked with him and against him in some interesting cases. Even after I left to care for my folks, I remained in touch seeking his support as a referee for any future employment.

Probably will not find anyone working in the law in Scotland who had a bad word to say about him - and I can confirm a genuinely funny and deeply passionate professional.

RIP Robert. :(

Oh thats a shame, a familiar figure in and around Glasgow Uni during my time there.

• Like 1

Several people on Facebook reporting the death of Sir William Macpherson of Cluny (wiki), aged 94.

Most notably led the Stephen Lawrence inquiry and defined “institutional racism” for the first time. A High Court judge, he was also the 27th Hereditary Chief of Clan Macpherson.

086F59E2-3701-464C-9A6E-AE5E34FF8E6D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Several people on Facebook reporting the death of Sir William Macpherson of Cluny (wiki), aged 94.

Most notably led the Stephen Lawrence inquiry and defined “institutional racism” for the first time. A High Court judge, he was also the 27th Hereditary Chief of Clan Macpherson.

086F59E2-3701-464C-9A6E-AE5E34FF8E6D.jpeg

Thanks, a unique DDP pick for Unusual Suspects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Thanks, a unique DDP pick for Unusual Suspects.

Get (as I believe they say) in!

• Like 1

Charles Hill, a Scotland Yard detective famed for recovering Munch's The Scream, following its theft from Norway's National Gallery in 1994, has died aged 73. Though the thieves were convicted, they were freed on appeal because Hill & his team had used false identities.

• Like 1

Jason Dunn-Shaw, sacked as a judge in 2017 for trolling the comments sections in online news articles about cases he was presiding over, has died aged 57. 

Bit of a flawed genius, reading between the lines.

• Like 1

Gregory Kellam Scott, Colorado's first and only ever Black Supreme Court justice, has died. He was 77. Scott is the second Supreme Court justice from that state to die this week, following the death of Mary Mullarkey, the first woman to serve on the court (as noted in the Female Firsts thread).

https://lawweekcolorado.com/2021/04/colorados-first-black-justice-dies/

• Like 1