the_engineer

Law And Order

Former Kansas Supreme Court Chief Justice Kay Eleanor McFarland passed away peacefully at home on Tuesday following a brief illness. She had recently celebrated her 80th birthday.

On September 19, 1977, McFarland was appointed to the Kansas Supreme Court by Gov. Robert Bennett, becoming the first woman to hold that office. She became Chief Justice on September 1, 1995, upon the retirement of Chief Justice Richard Holmes. Again, she was the first woman to hold that office.

SC

• Like 1

Russell Poole dies of a heart attack:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6670468/notorious-big-murder-detective-russell-poole-dies

He was the cop who investigated the Notorious B.I.G. killing. He suspected that the investigation came to a halt because he got too close to the truth, i.e. the possible involvement of Suge Knight.

Russell Poole dies of a heart attack:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6670468/notorious-big-murder-detective-russell-poole-dies

He was the cop who investigated the Notorious B.I.G. killing. He suspected that the investigation came to a halt because he got too close to the truth, i.e. the possible involvement of Suge Knight.

that is just conspiracy bullshit we all know the Illuminati killed him

Renowned cop Joseph Coffey dies aged 77 - Legendary NYPD Detective Sgt. Joseph Coffey, whose storybook crime-busting career spanned locking up gangsters, interviewing Son of Sam serial killer David Berkowitz, and dancing with First Lady Nancy Reagan, died Sunday of complications from lung cancer and heart disease.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/renowned-cop-joseph-coffey-dies-aged-77/ar-AAeWBb0?l

Renowned cop Joseph Coffey dies aged 77

How's his sidekick Carl Bagle doing?

Renowned cop Joseph Coffey dies aged 77

How's his sidekick Carl Bagle doing?

His sidekick was Andy Renko iirc...

155290715-season-6-pictured-ed-marinaro-

Grace Aidianantz, founder of The Sherlock Holmes Museum, has died aged 88, after being forced into a nursing home and refusing food & drink.

Death Notice for John Murray QC, Lord Dervaird who died on 23 December 2015. http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/197955/murray

The Scots amongst us may remember that he resigned in the late 1980s/early 1990s as a Court of Session Judge "for personal reasons" amid what became known as the "Fettesgate" scandal. This involved accusations that there was a homosexual 'Magic Circle' of lawyers who would effectively do favours for each other in a professional capacity, and also accusations of child abuse and the giving of more lenient sentences to male prostitutes used by them. It should be made clear here I think that all accusations were eventually dismissed. However, there have been recent calls for the whole matter to be investigated anew as part of the UK Child Abuse Inquiry.

Malcolm Rifkind as I recall did not come up smelling of roses at the time, in particular refusing to even countenance an investigation into Lord Dervaird on the basis that he had resigned and that was an end to the matter. Here's a contemporaneous report relating to Dervaird's resignation after less than 2 years on the bench: http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11972477.Lord_Dervaird_quits_Bench/. We've never been told why, ever.

The Deathlist never forgets....

The lead prosecutor in the case that sent newspaper heiress Patty Hearst to jail has died in Arizona. He was 83. James Browning Jr. died in the Tucson suburb of Oro Valley on Tuesday after a fall.

SC

http://m.richmond.com/news/ap/article_39c6da5b-37e6-571b-968e-6dde79e8e81a.html?mode=jqm

Former Arkansas Chief Justice Jim Hannah, a man credited with helping shepherd the state's judiciary into a modern digital age, died Thursday. Hannah, 71, led the Arkansas Supreme Court for almost 11 years before stepping down from the bench at the end of last August to focus on his fight with an unspecified illness.

SC

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/jan/15/hannah-for-decade-the-chief-justice-die-1/

A Liberal majority in the first time in years.

Boost for Bernie?

If this is so huge...

Why is he not on the DDP?

If this is so huge...

because he was still active at the time of his death and died suddenly.

If this is so huge...

because he was still active at the time of his death and died suddenly.

Surely someone disliked him enough to continually pick him though? Most beloved and most hated normally get some form of interest, nothing like Thatcher imo.

A Liberal majority in the first time in years.

Boost for Bernie?

How so?

There was already a liberal majority at 5-4. Now it's 5-3

This has the potential to be huge.

The problem is that the US Senate, which confirms the judges, is currently dominated by republicans. But Obama is a Democrat. I do believe that the current majority is conservative, in spite of the Obamacare ruling (after all, Obamacare is mostly private health insurance). Obama's liberal nominee will have no chance to get through, unless he finds a first-class personality. The only possible candidate I can think of would be Bill Clinton (but for how long?). Obama might even nominate himself. And use this as a weapon in his campaign to make black people vote for Hillary/Bernie.

I think it probably helps Clinton more than Bernie, because she is generally regarded as the more electable candidate. And now the Democrats know what's at stake.

The problem is that the US Senate, which confirms the judges, is currently dominated by republicans. But Obama is a Democrat. I do believe that the current majority is conservative, in spite of the Obamacare ruling (after all, Obamacare is mostly private health insurance). Obama's liberal nominee will have no chance to get through, unless he finds a first-class personality. The only possible candidate I can think of would be Bill Clinton (but for how long?). Obama might even nominate himself. And use this as a weapon in his campaign to make black people vote for Hillary/Bernie.

I think it probably helps Clinton more than Bernie, because she is generally regarded as the more electable candidate. And now the Democrats know what's at stake.

Republicans have already stated that they will block any nominee proposed by Obama. I don't see much chance of a new Supreme Court Judge being chosen until after the election.

Republicans have already stated that they will block any nominee proposed by Obama. I don't see much chance of a new Supreme Court Judge being chosen until after the election.

For anyone being interested in US politics, the next months will be huuuuge.

• Like 1

Something else, I wonder if Scalia's increasingly irrational views in his final years were founded on bad health...

• Like 1