DevonDeathTrip

Glen Campbell

Glen Campbell might be worth a bash

He was diagnosed with alzheimer's about a year ago. He's winding up his farewell tour. He's got a few more years left in him.

Glen Campbell might be worth a bash

He was diagnosed with alzheimer's about a year ago. He's winding up his farewell tour. He's got a few more years left in him.

I'd probably wait until around 2016 before I put him on any lists. His buddies Charlton Heston and Ronald Reagan lasted a while with the same disease.

I love a bit of Glen Campbell, he even did a song about me job! :D

Ok, ok, its about an Electricity engineer not a telephone one but.......

"Rhinestone Cowboy" is a favourite in our house. :D

BBC4 has a GC night on January 18th. Cue hilarious Peter Falk comment.

His name came up inevitably among the DDP entries today and I thought of 'Wichita Lineman'. What a great song that is...

It's sad to see this great voice being sil...

...wait a minute who was I about to speak?

Back on topic, I always liked Glen's music although it wasn't something I told a lot of people.

Personal favorites were Galveston and Dreams of the Everyday Housewife(which is quite very touching)

Personal favorites were Galveston and Dreams of the Everyday Housewife(which is quite very touching)

See, I love DotEH, but the fact he wasn't adverse to giving Tanya Tucker the occasional slap around the chops makes the song a little... harder to stomach.

See, I love DotEH, but the fact he wasn't adverse to giving Tanya Tucker the occasional slap around the chops makes the song a little... harder to stomach.

So, it's up there with wife-beating David Soul's touching "Let's Have a Quiet Night In"

Unlike the Kasem case I side with the wife here _The daughter doesnt seem to realise how hard it is to look after someone with Alzheimers especially when they can still move about like Glen!It would also be disorientating to move him yet again .

Guest Guest

you can live for many years with alzheimers you know

Yeah, in fact, sometimes they live so long they lose count!

• Like 1

Not that you'd remember...

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Glen is in the final stages of Alzheimer's and just said goodbye to his career by recording a last ballad. This ballad was already recorded January last year, and to be honest, what a fine piece of music it is. A man who is aware of his fate and gives a last salute to his family. Campbell has been moved to 24-hour care, as his doctors have determined that he is in the sixth stage of Alzheimer’s (‘severe cognitive decline”).

Here's the chorus.

'You're the last person I will love.

You're the last place I will recall.

But best of all, I'm not gonna miss you',

Moving stuff.

Reminds me of how Johnny Cash (who passes by after 27 seconds in this clip) bowed out with an amazing cover of NIN's "Hurt".

If he makes it to 2015 he's sure a candidate for the top 50 next year.

• Like 3

Poor Glen :( A beautiful swansong though!I hope he doesn`t last long for his sake.I lost two grandparents to Alzheimer`s and it is beyond indignity and although they can`t think they still feel a lot of pain.I can`t seem him making 2016 as he is evidently declining very fast.

The power of music, personified.