Davey Jones' Locker

Batman

Thanks for the compliment! Batman was one of the relatively few such TV series aired in my general region way back in pre-satellite TV days (let alone pre-internet!), along with Bewitched, I dream of Jeannie, and Star Trek (of course). Was especially saddened by Yvonne Craig's passing as loved her, of course as batgirl. I believe she was the first costumed superheroine to appear on US television in fact, if in a supporting manner rather than as the star. Everyone says she was a very nice lady, although my own contact was limited to writing her a couple of times.

On the 1979 TV "film" Legends of the Super Heroes, several important DC characters made their first live-action appearances including The Flash(who also had a well-done 1990's TV series for those interested), Green Lantern as mentioned previously, and Huntress along with West and Ward doing Batman and Robin for the final time. Captain Marvel was featured portrayed by Garret Craig (sometimes known as Shazam) also instead of Superman, presumably due to the impending release of the Christopher Reeve film Superman. This came about because DC Comics won a long legal battle obtaining Captain Marvel from another publisher in the 1950's, although the Captain is essentially a supernatural hero. Hope that helps for anyone wondering about the different names for the character! Anyway, this was, indeed, Frank Gorshin's final time as the Riddler aside from some charity events. Some important villains also appeared "live" first here such as Sinestro (portrayed by Charlie Callas), the monster Solomon Grundy( portrayed by the late oversized actor Mickey Morton), and the Weather Wizard.

The film isn't particularly good, unfortunately, as it was extremely campy with Part Two being a tribute dinner affair for Batman and Robin (hosted by Ed McMahon) which even the villains attend after being beaten by the heroes. This was inspired by the series of Dean Martin "Celebrity Roasts", an occasional series of TV specials honoring certain performers throughout that decade. Perhaps the success of the new Flash TV series will renew some interest in this item which is rather obscure even today.

• Like 1

Not entirely sure this is the best place to comment on The Green Hornet TV series from the 1960's, but it seems reasonable as both were produced by William Dozier. Dozier also did the narration for this series as well, although it was much more limited than that for Batman. Played "straight" w/o the campy elements of the Batman series, the show had the Hornet(Van Williams)t and Kato( Bruce Lee, of course) go up against "real" criminals like arsonists, kidnappers, and assorted thieves -- they faced no costumed supervillains. Several of their foes used sci-fi like devices such as death rays and mind-control devices in their schemes, though, while the Hornet's car, Black Beauty, was equipped with much weaponry such as small rockets it could fire. The car also had what would be known as a drone today, the "scanner" which was launched from the front hood and surveyed the city, then returned to the automobile. The Green Hornet carried a weapon called "the Hornet's sting," a sonic device which could break-open locks, start fires, and so forth. Kato's martial arts more often than not saved the day, however, although the pair tended to leave a trail of corpses in their wake This was generally through the criminal's own actions, although not always., unusually for this period. The 2-part "Corpse of the Year" episode is maybe the best-written of the series , and featured one of only a handful of female opponents they faced, along with a fake Green Hornet trying to frame the real one for a series of murders in what proves to be a fairly-complicated scheme.

Brit Reid's identity as the Green Hornet was known to his secretary Lenore "Casey Case (the gorgeous Wende (or Wendy) Wagner), and the city's District Attorney(played by Walter Brooke); everyone else thought the pair were criminals themselves which played well in the Batman cross-over

Some elements of the film were borrowed for the atrocious Seth Rogan film a few years back, but the less said on that, the better. Unfortunately, it's not likely the series will be released to home video any time soon as the estate of Bruce lee,and some others, have been arguing over profits from the series for a good many years, now. It does show up on the" telly" from time to time, though, and is highly recommended.

Van Williams (born 1934) is the only surviving cast member from this series.

Some fairly-routine film serials appeared in the 1940's, some featuring Keye Luke in the title role(s).

Luke was Kato, obviously, in at least one of the 1940's serial films.

These behind-the-scenes people from the Adam West Batman are still with us as best that I can determine.

Directors:Robert Butler 1927)/Jeffrey Hayden (1926)/Leslie H Martinson (1915)/Larry Peerce(1930)/James Sheldon(1920)/Sam Strangis(1929).

Scriptwriters: Earl Barrett(1932)/Stephen Kandel(1927)/Robert Mintz/Charles Sinclair(1924?).

Martinson is one of the oldest surviving directors in Tinseltwon, although, I don't believe the oldest; Strangis' daughter Judy Strangis later was 'Dyna-Girl" in the Sid & Marty Kroft superhero spoof from 1976 Electa-Woman and Dyna-Girl, an especially campy tongue-in-cheek female version of Batman. So close in fact, it was fortunate the Krofts somehow dodged a lawsuit from William Dozier and Co., although there were only maybe a dozen episodes of this one. Deidre Hall from the soap Days of Our Lives was ElectaWoman.

Given the age of these folks listed, no doubt many will be items for the obituaries in the next 3, 4 years.

Not entirely sure this is the best place to comment on The Green Hornet TV series from the 1960's, but it seems reasonable as both were produced by William Dozier. Dozier also did the narration for this series as well, although it was much more limited than that for Batman. Played "straight" w/o the campy elements of the Batman series, the show had the Hornet(Van Williams)t and Kato( Bruce Lee, of course) go up against "real" criminals like arsonists, kidnappers, and assorted thieves -- they faced no costumed supervillains. Several of their foes used sci-fi like devices such as death rays and mind-control devices in their schemes, though, while the Hornet's car, Black Beauty, was equipped with much weaponry such as small rockets it could fire. The car also had what would be known as a drone today, the "scanner" which was launched from the front hood and surveyed the city, then returned to the automobile. The Green Hornet carried a weapon called "the Hornet's sting," a sonic device which could break-open locks, start fires, and so forth. Kato's martial arts more often than not saved the day, however, although the pair tended to leave a trail of corpses in their wake This was generally through the criminal's own actions, although not always., unusually for this period. The 2-part "Corpse of the Year" episode is maybe the best-written of the series , and featured one of only a handful of female opponents they faced, along with a fake Green Hornet trying to frame the real one for a series of murders in what proves to be a fairly-complicated scheme.

Brit Reid's identity as the Green Hornet was known to his secretary Lenore "Casey Case (the gorgeous Wende (or Wendy) Wagner), and the city's District Attorney(played by Walter Brooke); everyone else thought the pair were criminals themselves which played well in the Batman cross-over

Some elements of the film were borrowed for the atrocious Seth Rogan film a few years back, but the less said on that, the better.

Van Williams (born 1934) is the only surviving cast member from this series.

Some fairly-routine film serials appeared in the 1940's, some featuring Keye Luke in the title role(s).

Agreed on that one, however, the car was droolworthy.

Since this seems the thread to discuss superheroes in-general at, Wonder Woman was beaten onto the airwaves by a Saturday morning live-action series The Secrets of Isis which ran from 1975 to 1977 on the CBS network starring beautiful JoAnna Cameron as Anna Thomas/Isis. She was supposedly a descendant of an ancient Egyptian Queen and "forgot" to turn in an amulet which had belonged to said-queen discovered on a dig. By saying "oh Mighty isis!", she transformed into the heroine who was quite sexy for a children's series, and was a powerful character having super-strength, the ability to fly, control the weather at least in small areas, communicate with animals, and more. The show is incredibly cheesy compared to today's programs, and yes, has an unfortunate name when considering world events. Filmation Studios(which were even more cheap, if possible, than the Kroft brothers much of the time) owns the character, although DC Comics has revived her in a villainess version now married to Captain marvel's old foe Black Adam. Cameron is apparently embarrassed by the series as she did not contribute any interviews when it was released to home dvd market about a decade ago. Too bad, as it helped pave the way for all the superheroes of today as it's fondly-remembered by many.

I believe I mentioned Captain Marvel(the original version) awhile ago; Filmation brought the character back to live-action in 1974 as Shazam!, a children's series which starred Michael Gray as Billy Batson who turned into the title hero played by Jackson Bostwick, then John Davey after Jackson left over a pay dispute (although neither man was quite muscular enough in my opinion for the role). The late Les Tremane (d. 2003) played "Mentor," a sort of guardian/teacher to Billy as they traveled about the US righting various wrongs, although never involving super-villains. Billy also talked directly to Zeus, Atalas etc. a, from whom he received the combined powers rather than being struck by a mystical lightening bolt by saying 'Shazam!" as in all other versions. The show spun-off Secrets of Isis and the two crossed-over three times to the other's program. In later years, the character went from being called Shazam to Captain Marvel in both the comics and excellent-quality animated series like Justice League Unlimited which ran throughout most of the 2000's. Since supernatural beings can harm Superman, this has led to a number of extremely violent battles between the two heroes, usually explained as the result of the big blue guy being taken over by an alien or a demon or some such. This series was finally released as an "on-demand" home video set in 2012 although the pilot episode was included as a fee extra in the original video release of Wonder Woman in the mid-2000's.

The character first appeared on film around 1940 in a film serial entitled Captain Marvel with the late Tom Tyler as the Captain and Frank Couglan, Jr as Batson. This is considered one of the best of the US serials, although granted, that was not setting the bar terribly high given the shoe-string budgets serials were forced to work with. Maybe a more impressive version of the Captain will appear('though probably called Shazam as Marvel Comics uses the Captain Marvel name for a female superheroine today) if DC's Justice League film ever gets produced.

Actually, fwiw a Shazam/Captain Marvel film is already in pre-production. The Rock will be playing Black Adam in it.

I don't think anyone from the 1940s serial is still around. I stand to be corrected on that, though.

Oddly enough, I just saw the Rock as Black Adam today! Not a bad choice, really, as he's proven a better actor than I at first gave the guy credit for being.

DC seems to have a lot of trouble getting their films off the ground the way Marvel has - Green Lantern was acceptable, but didn't find the sort of success they wanted.

Man of Steel altered the concept in some ways which were quite bad - the battle between "big Blue" and General Zod and his minions must have killed several thousand people at least in Metropolis alone, something the "classic" version of Superman would have found a way to avoid. Amy Adfams made for a brighter Lois Lane than most seen before, but other than that, can't say much in this film's favor. I understand Man of Steel 2 has been postponed, at least.

My guess is DC hopes the Bamtna-Superman film will click on all the correct ways. have heard a lot of negative comments on the re-designed Wonder Woman outfit; it looks more like Xena to me than WW.

Louise Currie seems to have been the last surviving cast member of The Adventures of Captain Marvel serial (1941), having died at 100 in 2013.

Frank Coglan, Jr (Billy Batson) died in 20009 at age 93.

On the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, DC has struggled literally for years to get anew WW film off the ground; apparently, they have decided that aq guest-starring appearance in the Batman/Superman film is better way to try & re-launch the character. Can't say I'm thrilled with Affleck as the Dark Knight, either( anybody recall Daredevil? He kept on fighting way too long after havingbeen stabbed by Elktra, incurring a wound then which would almost certainly have been fatal within a fewminutes given that Daredevil has nu superhuman powers beyond his enhanced senses.

Anyway, Lynda Carter left a huge impression on Wonder Woman, and the series was improving its final season when unexpectedly pulled by CBS.

She encountered a mad super-villian operating a submarine played by John Astin, more aliens from spac(both friendly and hostile), and one DC villain in a 1978 epsiode, I think, maybe played again by Astin, the Toyman who made an android duplicate of her. The series was showing her powers to better effect as well as she really was supposed to be more or less equal to Superman in many ways. One intriguing character introduced at the very end was a sort of super-soldier made invulnerable and immortal as well through a subterfuge experiment who was( luckily!) not a villain; the producers seemed to be setting-up a super-powered lover-interest in this fellow for her when the series ended. Its' been rumoured that Lyle Waggoner wanted to leave the series, and indeed, Diana was sent to the West Coast of the US near the show's conclusion under a new boss for the ISA agency. The show could probably have come closer to the comics had it continued.

I double-checked, and see that the Gail Gadot Wonder Woman is filiming, and hoping for a '17 release. I'm guessing this may depend in-part on how well-received the Batman/Superman affair with her is. Chris Pine should help with the younger set also, although I do note previous efforts to tinker with the costume haven't proven successful going back to the 1960's, even. I don't know much about Gadot, honestly, an am trying to keep an open mind, but base don the recent fare from DC, I'm not overly hopeful. Then again, the under-30 set is lapping up the lousy new version of Flash on TV, not to mention the awful take on Green Arrow. I'm guessing they may need luck to come close to equaling Marvel, though, which has been very well-done with one or two missteps here and there. Affleck as Batman continues to concern me, though... To say the least, he wouldn't have been my first choice.

On the Carter series, Norman Burton and Richard Eastham who were supporting players during that show's four-year run have both passed away awhile back.

There was a universally-panned effort to bring the character to TV around 1973 or so in a TV-film which starred Cathy Lee Crosby in the title role wearing an outfit that looked nothing like the classic version Maybe people cared more about such then? I don't know. Anyway, I hope I'm not coming off an an "old grouch" of sorts, although I wasn't thrilled about the Christian Bale trilogy that much, either.

I have mentioned the original live action The Flash before here which ran one season 1990 to 1991 and starred John Wesley Shipp as Barry Allen/Flash, along with Amanda Peet(or is it Peel??Anyway married to Corbin Bernsen, I think, for some time) as his scientists-helper and semi love-interest. The series was of strong quality with scripts by Howard Chaykin and others who know their stuff, but was never highly-rated. He faced a mix of regular street criminals and gangsters and some usually watered-down super villains from his own rogue's gallery like Captain Cold and the Mirror Master. His best opponent probably was The Trickster played to perfection by Mark Hamil, and who was in an outrageous costume. The character is a little too similar in some respects to the Joker, which, curiously enough, Hamil has usually been the voice of since the 1990's Batman animated TV series and films. Night Shade, an African-American hero from the 1950's who appeared two or three times was a nifty creation original to the series, I believe, who may have been added to the comics afterwards.

In discussing Batgirl, I note that the second actress to do the voice for Barbara Gordon/Batgirl in the 1970s, Melindy Britt, is still alive, and active, I believe, as an on-and-off-screen actress.

For the record, Diane Pershing whose career dates to the late 1970's/early 1980's as Isis in some short-lived efforts to continue the character in animated form is also still with us. Pershing is probably best-known as villain Poison Ivy on the animated New Adventures of Batman since the 1990's, along with the 1979-1982 Flash Gordon and much other voice work.

On Batman:the Animated Series (1992-1995), then again as the Batman/Superman Adventures, and other variations of the title, Batgirl was played first by Melissa Gilbert who did not prove popular n the role. She was replaced by Tara Strong(aka Tara Charendoff) as Barbara Gordn/Batgirl who was seen more often after Robin became Nigh-Wing as in the comics. Strong has continued to be the usual voice for the character in animated productions. Several of the cast members from this Batman series are gone now, Lloyd Bochner(1924 - 2005) was was Gotham Mayor Hill, Bob Hastings, of course (1925 - 2014)( Commissioner Gordon) who also appeared on the 1960's live-action series insmall parts, and Ephraim Zimbalist Jr (1918 - 2014) Alfred Pennyworth here, and on Justice League Unlimited, etc. Some actors who did villains were Michael Ansara(Dr Fries/Mister Freeze, Aron Kincaid(1940-2011) Killer Kroc, Roddy McDowal, of course, the Mad Hatter (carried-over from the 1960'series),and Henri Polic (Professor Crane/the Scarecrow).

A lesser-known series about 5 to 7minutes in length from roughly the same period was Gotham Girls originally a webcast program. This featured two seasons of stories, the first featured Batgirl against usually chasing Catwoman, Harley Quinn and Posion Ivy with a couple of appearances by the sorceress Zatanna. Zatanna wasn't used often, though, as she was too strong for many credible threats to be pitted against her. The second season was a sequel of sorts to the direct-to-video film Batman and Mr Freeze: Sub-Zero which had Batgirl forced to team-up with her three main female foes against the police in a complicated tale involving a mystery-villain connected to Mr. Freeze. A well-done little series, especially this 2nd season. Batman didn't appear at all in Girls interestingly enough.

Wish there was a bit more interest here on this thread! Anyhow, thought I would mention another rather obscure TV series Birds of Prey (2002-2003)

which deserves to be better known, and was one of the few efforts at a comics-based project post-2000 which failed. This series concerned the title-team, the former Batgirl Barbara Gordon(played by Dinah Meyer) who had been paralyzed by being shot in the spine by the Joker, and was now known as Oracle. Operating from a base in a clock-tower called the Watch Tower, oracle directed the daughter of Batman and Catwoman, Helen Kyle-Wayne/the Huntress(portrayed by Ashley Scott, who is so good at playing rather "bad girls" generally) on various missions, along with the help of Alfred, of course, (the late Ian Abercrombie). They were soon joined by a young run-away Dinah Lance(Rachel Skarsten) who possessed some telepathic powers (which were never fully explored) and who turned out to be the daughter of the first Black Canary. Dinah never officially took the name, but could be considered Black Canary 2. Unfortunately, the doctor for Helena Kyle (who hated her father blaming him for her mother's death) was Harleen Quinzel, a much-deadlier version of Harley Quinn than is generally portrayed which led, in time, to unfortunate event as could be expected. Meyer did use a type of "exo-skeleton" which allowed her limited walking ability twice on the show's short run (14 episodes) to don the identity of Batgirl again.

This series was set on "Earth 2" in the DC Comics universe, a parallel Earth which was largely identical to our own save that Batman and Catwoman finally got together, which caused Selena Kyle reform once their daughter came along, but which, in-turn, led to her being killed by former underworld associates. Thus the bad feelings between Helena and her father who in this "reality" had went into exile over guilt about Catwoman's death - he was only seen (as was CW) in cameo appearances. There were signs at the end matters would improve been Helena and Bruce Wayne, though.

This wasn't a bad series, and Ashley Scott was very good as "bad girl" super- heroine Huntress who did tend to leave a number of bodies behind her despite instructions from Gordon Versions of the team are still used in the comics, and perhaps a revival wouldn't be a bad idea given the increased popularity of superheroes today. I believe Meyer was only the second person to portray Batgirl after the late Yvonne Craig, to-date, possibly as far as live-action goes.

• Like 1

Wish there was a bit more interest here on this thread! Anyhow, thought I would mention another rather obscure TV series Birds of Prey (2002-2003)

which deserves to be better known, and was one of the few efforts at a comics-based project post-2000 which failed. This series concerned the title-team, the former Batgirl Barbara Gordon(played by Dinah Meyer) who had been paralyzed by being shot in the spine by the Joker, and was now known as Oracle. Operating from a base in a clock-tower called the Watch Tower, oracle directed the daughter of Batman and Catwoman, Helen Kyle-Wayne/the Huntress(portrayed by Ashley Scott, who is so good at playing rather "bad girls" generally) on various missions, along with the help of Alfred, of course, (the late Ian Abercrombie). They were soon joined by a young run-away Dinah Lance(Rachel Skarsten) who possessed some telepathic powers (which were never fully explored) and who turned out to be the daughter of the first Black Canary. Dinah never officially took the name, but could be considered Black Canary 2. Unfortunately, the doctor for Helena Kyle (who hated her father blaming him for her mother's death) was Harleen Quinzel, a much-deadlier version of Harley Quinn than is generally portrayed which led, in time, to unfortunate event as could be expected. Meyer did use a type of "exo-skeleton" which allowed her limited walking ability twice on the show's short run (14 episodes) to don the identity of Batgirl again.

This series was set on "Earth 2" in the DC Comics universe, a parallel Earth which was largely identical to our own save that Batman and Catwoman finally got together, which caused Selena Kyle reform once their daughter came along, but which, in-turn, led to her being killed by former underworld associates. Thus the bad feelings between Helena and her father who in this "reality" had went into exile over guilt about Catwoman's death - he was only seen (as was CW) in cameo appearances. There were signs at the end matters would improve been Helena and Bruce Wayne, though.

This wasn't a bad series, and Ashley Scott was very good as "bad girl" super- heroine Huntress who did tend to leave a number of bodies behind her despite instructions from Gordon Versions of the team are still used in the comics, and perhaps a revival wouldn't be a bad idea given the increased popularity of superheroes today. I believe Meyer was only the second person to portray Batgirl after the late Yvonne Craig, to-date, possibly as far as live-action goes.

I own the series, on DVD. :D I watched a few, when i was on TV, loved it, then it got cancelled :(. Saw the series on DVD, for $10, bought it. Watched it all, & loved it. This should've been the one that was kept, not Mutant X, which had nothing to do with the comic, except the name. :/

Hi, Shipman. Glad to see a few others (at least) recall this series! :smileyd: That 1990 - 1991 version of The Flash deserved amuch-longer run than what it received - was much closer in tone to the original "modern" Flash Barry Allen, and the comic despite the toning-down of the supervillains who did appear there-on. I think the network (CBS, wasn't it?) was probably unsure of just what direction to take with that one, hence the numerous street thugs" and mobsters which proved inferior opponents for him. I do recall he had to face a clone of himself as well as some time travel in a later episode. Would've been great show even with the lesser-effects of that period had it been given a few seasons. The current Flash is also a Barry Allen, but this one bears hardly any relation to the classic version, and is too young as well to realistically be working in that pisiton ( i would think - maybe my own age is simply showing again?).

The Wally West Flash from Justice League Unlimited may still be the Flash many are most familair with given how long that animated series and spin-off films has run - some related films continue to appear. Played a bit too much for a clown to myliking, but each to their own, on, I guess!

* Did Gotham Girls show up as an extra on your dvd set btw? The complete series is included with most Birds... dvds sold here., something I should have mentioned before.

Does anybody here recall a series called M.A.N.T.I.S.? It dealt with a scientist who made a suit of flexible armor for himself after being crippled in an accident, and quickly became a superhero in the Iron Man-mould. Like with with most such series, at least until recent years, it only ran one or two years, but was of fairly-strong quality - from the 1990's, I believe, although I haven't double-checked.

On Gail Gadot, I should make it clear I haven't anything against her, people. I would like to see Wonder Woman revived successfully, although the original plans were for a modern film to more or less be a sequel to the Lynda Carter series (who was one of the two, three most beautiful women in the world at the time), plans dropped some time ago, unfortunately. I realize the Carter series is rather cheesy at times by modern-standards; younger fans should note, though, that they simply didn't have the technology to do these characters then in their full glory, although this one came quite close at times. Plans were considered for both the Human Torch and Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner (who really needs to show up sometime in the Avengers films) series as well around the late 1970's, but dropped due to the same challenge of effectively portraying them with what TV had available at the time.

While I'm being nostalgic, anybody recall a 1978 made-for-TV Pilot film Dr Strange? I don't recall the star's name off-hand, but old Sir John Mills was the Ancient One, and Jessica Walter was his nemesis as Morgana La Faye. Has been awhile since I saw it, but for the time, the quality was good, but it was aired opposite strong rating programs of the period, so it didn't go to series. I imagine the effects needed would often have been ineffective to do the character rightly. Recommended all the same obscure though it is.

Had a quick look - Peter Hooten was Dr Strange and Michael Ansara seems to have been the uncredited voice of The Ancient One.

Don't think I've seen it aired in the UK. Though the whole film is here: https://youtu.be/vNu6RVLXAR8

Ah, thanks, I REALLLY..I was thinking Peter somebody was Stepehen Strange here. Marvel is still attempting to bring a new version of the character to the big screen, but seems to be having problems with that one. Maybe they'll get it in next couple of years.

Michael Ansara did a good deal of voice work, sometimes un-credited as-noted. He was married to Barbara Eden for some years as many here probably know, a troubled marriage, it seems. Their only son died some years ago of a drug-related cause, something which really harmed Ms Eden as can be imagined.

Unfortunately, when one sees pictures of Eden that haven't been altered by computer, or when she is minus LOTS of make-up today, every one of her 85 years shows all too plainly, possibly as a result of too many trips to the face-surgeon. She did claim to have had no work done for a number of years, I recall. I do feel bad fro her all-around as she has been a favorite of mine for a good many years.

The recently-deceased Wayne Rogers took over as "Anthony Nelson" for one of the 1980's attempts to revive Jeannie when arry hagman's ego was out-of-control due to his huge success as "J R" Ewing at the time. Ms Eden has continued to do Jeannie into recent years all the same.

Getting back to superheroes a moment, Captain America did have a war-time serial=film made entitled Captain America (1944) starring Dick Purcell, Lionel Atwill and Adrian Booth(Lorna Gray) which wasn't that bad, but was not at all faithful to the original character. Marvel reportedly neglected to include a clause that Republic stick relatively-closely to the comic by way of explanation. It was successful although Atwill was a villain who wore no outfit. Others were planned, but actor Purcell, who was somewhat overweight, died suddenly while the serial was still playing-off weekly in the theaters.

Some of the serial films were later edited down into feature "films" of much shorter length for television, and sometimes released to theaters under different titles! Keep in mind, though, all of them were meant to be seen one installment at a time much like weekly TV episodes. Taking 12 or 14 chapters in a single dose is not an easy thing in most cases.

There was a short-lived 2001 TV series based on a pair o 1990's-eraf made-for-TV films produced by Roger Corman about an outrageously sexy superheroine called The Black Scorpion some may recall, if for no other reason than the alluring costume( such as it was). Darcy Walker/Black Scorpion was a police detective in a fictionalized Los Angeles called Angel City, US ,who became the heroine due to the corruption in the city after her father's murder. She did face actual supervillains like Breathtaker (Adam West interestingly enough) and Clockwise (Frank Gorshin also another Adam West connection) among others like Mindbender and Slapshot. She drove the "Scorpionmobile" , a dangerous computerized vehicle with various weapons; Walker changed to the Black Scorpion via a ring which allowed her to transform any clothing into her scanty costume.

The series wasn't meant to be taken terribly seriously, although it's odd that it did not last longer. The title role was first played by Joan Severance, then afterwards by Michelle Lintel.

I take it that the series Kolchak the Night Stalker wasn't aired much (if at all) in the Uk, perhaps not until more recent years as I mentioned the seriesawhile back, and nobody has commented. Frequent Hammer Films scriptwriter Jimmy Sangster contributed one of the better installments, "Horror in the Heights," about a Hindu demon called a Rakesha. This creature could project an image of itself as anybody it wished to, then devoured its victims. This series and the film A Christmas Story are primarily what actor Darren McGavin is remembered for now.

Wanted to quickly mention perhaps a lesser animated series Batman: the Brave and the Bold (2008 - 2011) starred Diedrich Bader as Batman who would have a co-star each week with various other DC heroes like Aquaman, Green Lantern, Plastic Man, and various others. This series took a lighter-tone than previous animated series had done , and was thus never as popular. Bader did a decent job as Batman, but Kevin Conroy has since returned to being the usual animation voice for Batman; he is so identified with the character by now; many won't accept anyone else. Maybe the best episode was "The Chill of the Night' which had Batman finally track down the gunman who killed his parents, while the supernatural beings the Phantom Stranger and the Spectre gambled for Batman's destiny. This adapted a story-line from the comic itself from some years ago, and did quite a good job on this one. Adam West turned up once doing the voice of some secondary hero, at least.

BTW, in a recent photo of West and Burt ward, Ward seems to have gained considerable weight in more recent years. He does not look all that great now, unfortunately, and might be somebody else for the DL to keep an eye on.

You may have been thinking of Glynis Johns, Post Twunt, who was Lady Penelope Peasoup in a 4-part sequence in the TV series' final season set in "Londonium" with the late Rudy Vallee, although I'm afraid a minor foe for the heroes. It was one of the very few times they traveled outside the US, however. Several other ladies who appeared on the series are still with us now, although most did so in supporting roles; gorgeous Nancy Kovack, Sherry Jackson (also stunningly beautiful), and Leslie Parrish among them. Jill St.Johnas well she was one of only 3 characters who actually died on the show as a henchwoman for the Riddler. Two other generic street thugs shot themselves accidentally. Catwoman did apparently die twice, but as a cat has nine lives, she returned anyway, of course. And yes, she has to be one of the most gorgeous women ever on film!

Lee Meriwether did appear on the series as a lady in distress as well as being Catwoman in the 1966 film.

Two ladies who appeared in small roles as underlings died recently, Lesly Gore,(henchwoman for Catwoman) and Grace lee Whitney, (henchwoman for King Tut, though far better known as Janice Rand on the original Star Trek series and later, in some of the films.

I think maybe three or four of the directors from the behind-the-scenes crew are still with us, although, of course, most such folks aren't very well-known.

On the 1940's serial Batman and Robin, only Johnny Duncan(Dick Grayson/Robin) is still alive (93) and still manages to show up at some conventions, I understand, so he seems to have considerable spring in his step yet for a fellow his age.

Johnny Duncan died on February 8. He was 92. http://www.examiner.com/article/john-duncan-who-played-robin-the-batman-and-robin-movie-serial-has-died