Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

The Muppets (and other puppets)

Once, after consuming the best part of a bottle of tequila and some other sundries, I took it upon myself to go and watch Bodger and Badger in the theatre tent at Glastonbury.   An experience never to be forgotten.  

RIP Andy Cunningham, a very great man who truly found his calling in badger puppetry.

• Like 3

Joel Schiller (IMDb), production designer for The Muppet Movie, died aged 86 back in January although his death has only been announced now. 

11 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Joel Schiller (IMDb), production designer for The Muppet Movie, died aged 86 back in January although his death has only been announced discovered by one of us now. 

FTFY

Larry Smith, a (locally) famous puppeteer passed away Monday at the age of 79.  Larry Smith entertained an entire generation of children with his famous characters, including Hattie the Witch, and Snarfie R. Dog.  Smith and his puppets appeared on every local television station in Cincinnati, including FOX19 Now, and on the famous Uncle Al Show. In 1957, Smith first appeared on Cincinnati airwaves with his live show Puppet Time Morning.  WXIX-TV 19 along with Larry's 'The Larry Smith Puppets' show premiered August 1,1968 and was an overnight sensation.

SC

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, anyone have a spare grand, and time to spare after entering the MMMDP?

Emu (of Rod Hull and Emu) goes up for sale on 31 May this year: http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/16223601.Most_feared_puppet_of_the_70s_and_80s_to_be_sold_at_auction_in_Chippenham/

(awaits the bafflement of non-UK readers :lol:)

Emu, Rod Hill's puppet which cost £10,000 to make.....is forecast to sell for £750–£1,000.

Careful what you invest in.

Yeah, that money could have gone to a digital TV receiver.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Update on the Emu sale: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-5791145/Rod-Hull-s-Emu-finds-home-Orville-Duck-Rainbow-s-George-sale.html

Bought for around 8 grand by puppeteer Phil Fletcher, the chap behind Hacker The Dog, Emu now resides with Orville The Duck and George from Rainbow.

Is it about time we started considering Roger de Courcey?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Caroll Spinney, who has played Oscar the Grouch and Big Bird on Sesame Street since its inception, is to retire.

Gonna miss his Big Bird and Oscar, but I understand that it's physically hard for him to continue the roles now.

While trying to find some info on Cleo Laine's health (because I had a dream -so clear it was more like a vision - that her death was announced by Chris Packham, live on Springwatch) I didn't get very far, but did discover that she has appeared on the Muppets.

Anyway I found a list of 125 people who guest starred on the program - all of them worthy of some credit imho for not taking themselves too seriously - and it struck me that a lot of them are now dead.  So I was going to reproduce the list here, complete with crossings out and everything, but I'm tired and ran out energy.  But here's the page I was looking at.

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls000020636/

Lots of old DL favourites included, dead and alive.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2020 at 19:12, DevonDeathTrip said:

While trying to find some info on Cleo Laine's health (because I had a dream -so clear it was more like a vision - that her death was announced by Chris Packham, live on Springwatch) I didn't get very far, but did discover that she has appeared on the Muppets.

Anyway I found a list of 125 people who guest starred on the program - all of them worthy of some credit imho for not taking themselves too seriously - and it struck me that a lot of them are now dead.  So I was going to reproduce the list here, complete with crossings out and everything, but I'm tired and ran out energy.  But here's the page I was looking at.

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls000020636/

Lots of old DL favourites included, dead and alive.

I posted a Muppet guest list in the Play School - Play Away - Childrens TV thread back in September 2018, in reaction to other similar postings at the time.  The list gets regularly updated, as it indicates who is alive and who is dead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Muppet designer and occasional performer Caroly Wilcox has died. She designed the Muppet that would eventually become Elmo:

EGdRhx6XoAEuLJh?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Muppet designer and occasional performer Caroly Wilcox has died. She designed the Muppet that would eventually become Elmo 

Elmo's come a long way since then:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Please stay away from my family.

bien sur

Puppeteer Phil Eason being reported dead. Controlled Yaddle the female Yoda in The Phantom Menace most famously, but also worked on stuff like WizadoraYonderland and both the original and last year's reboot of Spitting Image.

• Like 1

American puppeteer Kamela Portuges (Wiki) died at 59

Obituary

download.thumb.jpeg.e8fe1940e2d1060213dcc5bc50bd9094.jpeg