the_engineer

Conspiracy Theories

I'm sure one or two of the more conspiracy-minded DLers must have heard of the one about the Titanic/"Olympic" insurance fraud theory

The idea is, the ship that famously sank wasn't really the Titanic, it was its near-identical sister ship the Olympic, which had been falsely re-badged as the Titanic, and they intended to sink it on purpose and pocket the hefty insurance money (Olympic had been very badly damaged in a crash the previous year and they didn't have enough money to fully repair it, so they wanted to scoop the insurance money for what was thought to be a new and intact ship).

I remember when I first saw this theory I thought "oh wow, so all those people died on a ship that had a slightly different name...." but there's a lot more to it than that, with bungled rescue arrangements, threats against surviving crew members etc.

So if you want to you can watch/listen to this slightly odd chap go on about it for 50 minutes...:

It's actually a very convincing theory IMO, I've read about this elsewhere and there's just too much weird or suspicious stuff to ignore.
(Also the quality of acting in the "re-constructions" is shockingly high by the standards of these documentaries!)

Will watch in a bit.

There was 3 sister ships though, Titanic, Olympic and Britannic (form memory) and a woman survived being sunk on all 3........

And the book from years afore is 'interesting'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futility,_or_the_Wreck_of_the_Titan

Although the novel was written before the Olympic-class Titanic was even designed, there are some uncanny similarities between both the fictional and real-life versions. Like the Titanic, the fictional ship sank in April in the North Atlantic, and there were not enough lifeboats for the passengers. There are also similarities between the size (800 ft (244 m) long for Titan versus 882 ft 9 in (269 m) long for the Titanic[2]), speed (25 knots for Titan, 22.5 knots for Titanic[3]) and life-saving equipment.

Beyond the name, the similarities between the Titanic and the fictional Titan include:[4]

• Both were triple screw (propeller)
  • Described as "unsinkable"
    • Contrary to Urban Legend, Titanic was never actually qualified as "unsinkable" before she sank.[5]
    • The Titan was the largest craft afloat and the greatest of the works of men (800 feet, displacing 75,000 tons, up from 45,000 in the 1898 edition), and was deemed "practically unsinkable" (as quoted in Robertson's book).

[*]Shortage of lifeboats

• The Titanic carried only 16 lifeboats, plus 4 Engelhardt folding lifeboats,[6] less than half the number required for her passenger and crew capacity of 3000.
    • The Titan carried "as few as the law allowed", 24 lifeboats, less than half needed for her 3000 capacity.

[*]Struck an iceberg

• Moving at 22½ knots,[7] the Titanic struck an iceberg on the starboard side on the night of April 14, 1912, in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles (740 km; 460 mi) away from Newfoundland.
    • Moving at 25 knots, The Titan also struck an iceberg on the starboard side on an April night in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles (740 km; 460 mi) from Newfoundland (Terranova).

[*]Sinking

• The Titanic sank, and more than half of her 2200 passengers and crew died.
    • The Titan also sank, and more than half of her 2500 passengers drowned.

Not a conspiracy but one of those "coincidence" thingies - I found this little story which details the many disasters or major attacks that have happened between April 15 and April 20........

I think a lot of people have noticed April 15 particularly, with the Hillsborough disaster, Lincoln's assassination, and the fact that Titanic sank in the early hours of April 15 1912 (although, just to be anal, it actually hit the iceberg about 10 minutes before midnight.....)

http://www.daytondai.../gCKCd/#4915749

Apparently this period of the year is just when human beings just tend to be particularly negligent, and/or when psychos choose to carry out their carefully planned massacres.. weird.

http://topinfopost.c...d-in-california

Author of 9/11 conspiracy theories ,his two kids and dog is found dead , was it murder suicide? Or was he about to reveal smoking gun evidence , or was he simply used to send a message don't cross the American and saudi governments?

Doesn't stop there though you would be surprised how many Truthers ,investigative journalists and such have died since 9/11 under questionable circumstances.

This one always stands out to me as he clearly wasn't the type of gun to do such a thing having found out and done some research on him.

I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but that's bollocks. For one thing, governments do not hush up terrorist attacks, they publicize them to the nth degree, to increase fear in the common person and make it easier for said government to bring in their various draconian laws. The cover up would rely on Glasgow City Council being competent, which is a dangerous rumour to put about, completely unfounded by any facts. Also, the lorry didn't travel in a straight line. I had family it just missed, it careered off from Goma in a zig zagging way, straight onto George Square before coming off and hitting Queen Street station. It narrowly missed the carousel wheel full of kids on George Square, actually. Then you have the fact that whilst the victims were taken to the Royal, the nearest A&E resource, the driver was taken to the Western, the best cardiac and stroke unit in Glasgow.

I'd suggest a deliberate attack would have gone in a straight line right for that playarea I mentioned above, instead of all the attempts to swerve people and avoid catastrophe. Most likely (going on the available facts and, you know, people who were there at the scene), the chap at the wheel had something suddenly (a heart attack or a stroke, if he was seen slumped at Goma by folk there, but sitting up by Queen St, that'd fit in with a stroke more, but that's conjecture), the two in the cabin with him were panicked and lacked experience on dealing with one of those machines (being bin men as opposed to lorry driver) and the resulting thing happened. And they aren't naming him because if he lives, he's already got the guilt of (probably) accidentally causing such a disaster, the last thing he needs is the Daily Mail/EDL/random idiots looking for retribution too.

Oh, to bring it back into conspiracy, there is a decent chance a massive shitstorm will come soon over the lorry crash. But, it won't involve the driver.

I must say the response to the attacks in France has been remarkably swift, widespread and efficient in terms of banners, solidarity, editorial pieces and whatnot, seeing as it all happened less than 48 hours ago...

I must say the response to the attacks in France has been remarkably swift, widespread and efficient in terms of banners, solidarity, editorial pieces and whatnot, seeing as it all happened less than 48 hours ago...

You know i was gonna say "you should leave this thread to the pros"

However...... now I think twice about it I was personally shocked by how pro-free-speech all the reaction was. I was expecting the "they had it comin'" crowd to be much louder in voice. And instead all the leaders all over the world were instantly on it saying "We are appalled by this attack on freedom of expression". All very regimented and stuff.

It is weird after all is said, done and fired... :mellow::skill2:

Hey-hey! You've got a seconder (er... of sorts) TMIB! Jean-Marie Le Pen, remember him?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/paris-attacks-jeanmarie-le-pen-says-french-terror-attacks-were-work-of-western-intelligence-9985047.html

Not a conspiracy theory as such but gross, scary and has bad implications with regards to future "uses".....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31042477

We can all see were its leading.

They will make it impossible to be apart of society and not have a chip. Similar to having a bank account now though more stricter. You won't be able to work without a chip as no company will take unchiped people on , use the NHS , drive , buy food . The buy food one is the biggest though. We are moving towards a cashless society replaced with cards and those cards will be replaced with chips .

Then criminals cutting people's hands off to get at their chip , or digging around someone's hand to find one.

The frightening part is shocks being sent to your chip by hackers , the govt or even your work if your late for work or late back from lunch . Scary indeed .

I know I did the old "2 people with the same birthday is evens when you hit 23 people " on another thread, and this is fitba related.....but....

Celtic were drawn away to Damon, eh, dee utd in Scottish cup today.

That makes out of the last 18 ties Celtic have been drawn in domestically that there was a home/away option, 16 have been away from home.

Tele-evangicalism at its best.

I know I did the old "2 people with the same birthday is evens when you hit 23 people " on another thread, and this is fitba related.....but....

Celtic were drawn away to Damon, eh, dee utd in Scottish cup today.

That makes out of the last 18 ties Celtic have been drawn in domestically that there was a home/away option, 16 have been away from home.

Tele-evangicalism at its best.

Isn't that the same as if you toss a coin 100 times and it comes down 'heads' 100 times, the chances of it coming down heads the 101st time would still be 50/50. Or are you thinking round and square balls?

Hot and cold Paul, ;) , though in your example, it is not 50/50 on the 101st.

Hot and cold Paul, ;) , though in your example, it is not 50/50 on the 101st.

I guess you're referring to Gary Linekers quote at the drawing of the FA cup? Surely it's got to be 50/50 on every toss?

Not sure re Linekre , don't have a TV, but coin toss isn't 50/50.

http://econ.ucsb.edu/~doug/240a/Coin%20Flip.htm

Link in there to a 31 :D page study, and plenty else out there on subject.

Not exactly a peer reviewed study though, does such a thing exist?

I don't know if the Diaconis, Holmes, and Montgomery paper, refered (and linked) to in the web page linked to above, is peer reviewed. It is online and is full of jargon, formulae and pretty pictures.

BTW, that coin tossing machine is awesome. It puts all tossers out of work.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

I don't know if the Diaconis, Holmes, and Montgomery paper, refered (and linked) to in the web page linked to above, is peer reviewed. It is online and is full of jargon, formulae and pretty pictures.

BTW, that coin tossing machine is awesome. It puts all tossers out of work.

regards,

Hein

It is Hein, that'll teach me for glancing at something and posting right away.

They got paid to carry out that research, then.

I don't know if the Diaconis, Holmes, and Montgomery paper, refered (and linked) to in the web page linked to above, is peer reviewed.

The paper was originally published in SIAM Review in 2007. SIAM Review is a journal of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. According to SIAM's Review Procedures it is peer reviewed. Barring evidence to the contrary, we may assume that Diaconis, Holmes, and Montgomery 2007 is a peer reviewed article.

regards,

Hein