Bibliogryphon

Radio 4

Listened to In Our Time yesterday and I thought Melvyn Bragg sounded a bit breathless by the end of the show. Not the first time I have thought this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Listened to In Our Time yesterday and I thought Melvyn Bragg sounded a bit breathless by the end of the show. Not the first time I have thought this.

Aye BG had similar thoughts meself.  Those stairs can be brutal in Broadcasting House mind - remember Stuart Forsythe getting sacked as Kenny Everett's newsreader as he was late and breathless to the mike...

Sheila Dillon presenter of The Food Programme has been suffering from Bone cancer for a number of years.

Haven't found a year of birth for her yet though.

Thinking possibly about 1950 but that is a pure guess.

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Sheila Dillon presenter of The Food Programme has been suffering from Bone cancer for a number of years.

Multiple myeloma to be more specific, which is more sort of a blood cancer.

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Most probably 1944. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnx3/topics/1944_births

It ties in with the GRO births index as well, including two younger siblings as per her Wikipedia entry.

• Like 1

^ It's good to have Cat back. Honestly, 2017 was a scary year, I had to do my own research at times. :D

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

Most probably 1944. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnx3/topics/1944_births

It ties in with the GRO births index as well, including two younger siblings as per her Wikipedia entry.

Seems reasonable.

I will go with that in the absence of anything firmer.

Probably more reliable than Peter Wyngarde's age.

• Haha 1

Yesterday morning reporting form Paris I did think that Nick Robinson's voice sounded a bit raspy. Not as bad as when he first started on the Today programme but just a little rougher than usual. 

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Yesterday morning reporting form Paris I did think that Nick Robinson's voice sounded a bit raspy. Not as bad as when he first started on the Today programme but just a little rougher than usual. 

Very high on my (imaginary) list of likely returns of lung cancer.

• Like 1

Joan Bakewell has tweeted that Radio 4 have cancelled her show We Need To Talk About Death

Well we could invite her on here we do nothing but....

• Haha 2

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2014 at 13:54, Bibliogryphon said:

_73910871_hitchhikersoriginalcastl-rstephenmooregeoffmcgivernsusansheridansimonjonesmarkwing-daveyforradio4scharacterinvasionday.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words.

This is the reunited radio cast of THHGTTG for a live recording on Radio 4 on Saturday.

Note Stephen Moore (back left). The others looks OK for now and long may they stay so.

Stephen Moore reportedly dead:

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0601891/

Edit: I remember him from Adrian Mole more than anything.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Kevin the Teenager's dad, for me.

Same. I actually thought he'd died some time ago.  

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 15:42, DevonDeathTrip said:

There were some croaky, ancient voices audible on last night's R4 documentary about Richard Dimbleby.

Jeremy Isaacs in particular seems suddenly very old, Michael Peacock (former BBC2 controller) sounded like he had a death rattle and several other obit worthy old codgers chipped in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07nn2t4

3 years later, Michael Peacock's death rattle chokes him to the grave: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/michael-peacock-obituary-j2fc8pdbk

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2012 at 20:46, Bibliogryphon said:

I have previously stated that I believe Radio 4 to be the natural station of the Deathlist and when I heard The Last Word broadcast on 26 October two of their interviewees were both on the Deathlist: Henry Kissinger and James Randi. Henry sounded weak but coherent and James sounded quite chirpy. However as both were discussing the loss of a contempary too chirpy should not really be an option.

So to start off this discussion of all things Radio 4 I have a list of all the still living presenters of the Today programme.

snip

Peter Hobday (1937–

snip

Barry Norman must be a consideration over the coming years

As Grim Up North will confirm, Peter Hobday was my first male sub on 12 Lords/8 Ladies.

Now he's only gone and snuffed it! https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2020/01/20/peter-hobday-long-serving-presenter-today-programme-whose-amiable/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

As Grim Up North will confirm, Peter Hobday was my first male sub on 12 Lords/8 Ladies.

Now he's only gone and snuffed it! https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2020/01/20/peter-hobday-long-serving-presenter-today-programme-whose-amiable/

Currently in Sheffield theatre toilet - so confirmation might need to wait.

• Haha 1

Watched one of those paid for theatre performances on telly last night.  It was introduced by former Woman's Hour presenter Libby Purves. She was wearing full headscarf which made me wonder whether she has had cancer treatment. I remember Susan Fleetwood in Persuasion wore a variety of eccentric headgear in her final performance to disguise her hair loss. Nothing about her health on Wiki

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Watched one of those paid for theatre performances on telly last night.  It was introduced by former Woman's Hour presenter Libby Purves. She was wearing full headscarf which made me wonder whether she has had cancer treatment. I remember Susan Fleetwood in Persuasion wore a variety of eccentric headgear in her final performance to disguise her hair loss. Nothing about her health on Wiki

Doing a bit more research she was having chemotherapy in December 2019 to treat Lymphoma. 

During the last week Woman's Hour celebrated its 75th Birthday and they interviewed one of the original producers Diana Gayford now 104. She may not get a national QO but would be a contender for Last Word

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

During the last week Woman's Hour celebrated its 75th Birthday and they interviewed one of the original producers Diana Gayford now 104. She may not get a national QO but would be a contender for Last Word

There was quite a lot of social media reaction to her interview so I could see a QO.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

There was quite a lot of social media reaction to her interview so I could see a QO.

I would hope so but she does not yet have a wikipedia page

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I would hope so but she does not yet have a wikipedia page

A quick Google would suggest she doesn’t meet the criteria for one though.

• Like 1