harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

Who Should Be On The 2013 Deathlist?

Van Cliburn- Pianist- bone cancer

Ray Price- Country Musician- Pancreatic Cancer

Prince Phillip- Prince- Heart problems

Bonnie Franklin- Actress- Pancreatic Cancer (May not get the UK obit)

Mike Porcaro- Bassist (Toto)- Motor Neurone Disease (May not get UK obit, but then again, Fergie Frederiksen made it onto the list)

I introduced Harper Lee to the DL community last year, hopefully the fact that she was an unsuccessful candidate won't deterrent people from considering the above-mentioned names.

OK, staying away from the litany of the terminally ill that are listed elsewhere in this forum, and picking people who a: I feel have a DL "feel" about them and b: we could have good fun with threads discussing them, updates every now and then, guys I think would be decent 2013 picks:

Dennis Norden

IM Pei

Joao Havelange

Giulio Andreotti

Lawrence Ferlinghetti

Doris Lessing

Pete Seeger

Maureen O'Hara

Al Jaffee

Lou Duva

Leif Garrett-70s Teen Idol/Celebrity Rehab- Heroin/Cocaine addict

Tinto Brass-Softcore Italian Film Director- Turns 80 next year Is Obese/Lifelong smoker and suffered a brain hemorrhage in 2010

Mary Tyler Moore-Actresss-Going blind and dying from heart and kidney problems

Chris Woodhead-Chief Inspector of Schools-Diagnosed with ALS in 2006

Gough Whitlam -Former Australian Prime Minister-96 years old and allegedly close to death

Clever way to get DDP names for next year?

The smart ones among us will start slowly leaking the names of people whose cancers are in remission over the next few months, except linking to the news article about their original diagnosis. This is known in DDP terms as the "Lee Evans Gambit".

• Like 1

Here are my suggestions for Death List 2013:

Maureen O'Hara

Bonnie Franklin

Van Cliburn

Ray Price

June Foray

Yasuhiro Nakasone

Clive James

Michael Winner

Penny Marshall

Ryan Buell

I guess if we're going to list off old people for the sake of listing them, then I'll suggest:

Irwin Corey (98 years old),

David Rockafeller (97 years old)

Giorgio Armani ('only' 78, but looks like a leathery cadaver- I suspect he'll be a skin-cancer victim),

Dr. Henry Heimlich (Not much news on his health, but he turns 93),

Gabriel Garcia Marquez (85, HAD cancer but it's in remission, now just senile with dementia)

Terry Pratchett (64, but Alzheimer's is slowly taking it's toll, can't read or write on his own anymore, but he may still have a while yet)

Clever way to get DDP names for next year?

Nah, not for me anyway - pinching following DDT's suggestions has led me to three top 11 finishes in the last three years. Win or lose this time (and it's looking like the latter) 2012 is my swan song.

Chopper Read (he is supposedly dying but who knows...)

Gough Whitlam

Prince Philip

Robert Mugabe

Michael Winner (even though he's probably attention seeking)

Jeremy Thorpe

Dora Bryan

Lesley Phillips

Clive James

Yes, I agree Clive James ought to make an appearence.

Terry Pratchett (64, but Alzheimer's is slowly taking it's toll, can't read or write on his own anymore, but he may still have a while yet)

Much as it pains me, because he's a wonderful author and a nice bloke to boot, I agree that Pterry is DL material. I'm not sure 2013 will be his year, though, Alzheimer's is not a quick killer. The main reason for putting him on my DDP team is that he has made sounds rhyming with euthanasia.

I am, of course, pants at predicting celeb deaths, mostly because I give not enough attention to actual life-threatening disease. Anyway, a few candidates I'd like to see on DL, even though many of them are in fine health:

• Giulio Andreotti (b. 1919), 41st Prime Minister of Italy
  • Helmut Kohl (b. 1930), 6th Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany
  • Viktor Korchnoi (b. 1931), Chess Grandmaster
  • Li Peng (b. 1928), 4th Premier of the People's Republic of China
  • Walter Scheel (b. 1919), 4th President of the Federal Republic of Germany

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Trying to make it DL-esque

Clive James

Michael Winner

Derek Thompson (Channel 4 horse racing presenter)

Pete Doherty

Bernie Nolan

Van Cliburn

Dora Bryan

Sir Henry Cecil

Ryan O'Neal

Vo Nguyen Giap

Joan Fontaine

George H.W. Bush

Jimmy Carter

Luise Rainer

Chuck Yeager

Christopher Lee

Don Pardo

Doris Day

Pete Seeger

Mikhail Kalashnikov

Ray Harryhausen

John Paul Stevens

Carol Channing

Prince Philip

In my opinion, DL names should be people who 1) Have a strong chance of dying this year and 2) Are famous enough to be known to the majority of the forum. I think some picks (Lom, Martin) were chosen just because they'd get an obit and they were very old, and as such when they died no obit was written because no one really knew who they were.

I do agree with Cecil/Winner/James though.

• Like 1

The smart ones among us will start slowly leaking the names of people whose cancers are in remission over the next few months, except linking to the news article about their original diagnosis. This is known in DDP terms as the "Lee Evans Gambit".

Ah, I fell for that last year. I wonder am sure if some suggestions already here are following that.line. Either that, or they know things no-one else does...

Ah, I fell for that last year. I wonder am sure if some suggestions already here are following that.line. Either that, or they know things no-one else does...

Mea culpa. Aretha, Drew Carey in 2011, David 'who dat?' Cobham this year. All DDT subterfuge, so beware of the Devonian prince of darkness, people.

:mellow:

Chopper Read (he is supposedly dying but who knows...)

Gough Whitlam

Prince Philip

Robert Mugabe

Michael Winner (even though he's probably attention seeking)

Jeremy Thorpe

Dora Bryan

Lesley Phillips

If Chopper, Gough and Clive James all make the list, it will have a real Aussie flavour next year! :)

EDIT: .... and Elizabeth Murdoch.

Joan Fontaine

Any particular reason for swapping Olivia de Havilland out and replacing her with Joan Fontaine? :D

Why not have both and also have the brothers Ron and Ernie Isley.

In fact why not have the Isley Brothers at number 49 and then not have the issue with thinking that we need to use the Clive Dunn memorial number 50 on the list.

• Like 1

Clive James

Mark 'Chopper' Read

Bernie Nolan

Reg Presley

Michael Winner

Henry Cecil

Mary Wilson

Elizabeth Murdoch

Shaw Taylor

Clarissa Eden

Carla Laemmle - she'll 104 or something

Ray Harryhausen

Sindey Poitier

Morgan Freeman

Bobby Heenan

Robert Guillaume

Pope Benedict

Malcom McDowell

Kamala - former WWE wrestler

Louis Anderson

Joan Fontaine

Any particular reason for swapping Olivia de Havilland out and replacing her with Joan Fontaine? :D

Who says we can't have both? They have about the same chance of dying and are both equally famous.

• Like 1

Ray Price's cancer is in remission so I wouldn't go with him despite it being pancreatic cancer.

Clive James should probably go on but I'm not convinced he's terminally ill either, when all that news about him 'dying' came out he moved quickly to deny it and he's still writing regularly since then.

I think Bert Trautmann would be a decent Deathlist pick myself...

Bryce Courtenay is another naturalised Aussie who is dying. He should score a UK obit fairly easily, I would imagine.

UPDATE: Dead on NOv 22nd, so strike him off the list.

Keep an eye on Bert Newton and his troubled son Matt, too. I don't know about their obit chances, though.

Well, thumbing through my ledger of possible picks, here's a selection of suitably deathlistesque candidates:

Geoffrey Howe

Cliff Michelmore

Jimmy Hill

Ian Holm

Stephen Lewis (we've missed out on a couple of comedy/character actors)

Richard Adams (Watership Down)

Sid Caesar

Leslie Phillips

I'd just like to make my annual spirited bid to get Sister Wendy Beckett on the DL. She lives in a rickety old caravan, gets up at 1.30am for mammoth praying sessions and lives on a diet of gruel. This could cause her swift demise, that or she'll live to be 110. Either way we cannot afford to ignore her. She is also - IMHO - the owner of one of Britain's greatest minds and has a mischievous twinkle in her eye. Not that this has anything to do with the price of fish.

• Like 1