Larry Pestilence III

The English Language

Gadgy has its roots with the gypsies but - like a lot of Cumbrian dialect - has been taken and used our own way. Basically we have two terms of endearment for males

Gadgy: Give or take means 'man' but is often used more affectionately. So - for example - one lot of Carlisle fans on their way to a match spot another lot at the motorway services and decide to 'gan owwer and see them gadgies.'

leading to

Marra: Basically a gadgy well-known to yourself either by relation or friendship. Roughly speaking in English your 'Marra' is your 'mate.' Which explains the nickname of the Marra dolphin seen in Maryport harbour.

A've explained this before bu' thoo can translate English ter Cumbrian all thoo wan' on a web site called babelsheep, like eh.

Guest radgy gadgy
Gadgy has its roots with the gypsies but - like a lot of Cumbrian dialect - has been taken and used our own way. Basically we have two terms of endearment for males

Gadgy: Give or take means 'man' but is often used more affectionately. So - for example - one lot of Carlisle fans on their way to a match spot another lot at the motorway services and decide to 'gan owwer and see them gadgies.'

leading to

Marra: Basically a gadgy well-known to yourself either by relation or friendship. Roughly speaking in English your 'Marra' is your 'mate.' Which explains the nickname of the Marra dolphin seen in Maryport harbour.

A've explained this before bu' thoo can translate English ter Cumbrian all thoo wan' on a web site called babelsheep, like eh.

or summat.

LFN, Maryport , radgy dadgy, thank thoo dead much. It's bookmarked noo.

Rise 'n shine, Carol Ann.

The charver stood on the burnin' deck

Whence all bu' 'e 'ad fled;

The flame tha' li' the battle's wreck

Shone round him o'er the dead, like eh.

Ye' beautiful an' brigh' 'e stood,

As born ter rule the storm;

A creature ov 'eroic blood,

A proud, though childlike form, like.

The flames roll'd on, like eh...'e would no' gan

Withou' 'is ol' man's word;

Tha' ol' man, fain' in death below,

'is voice no longer 'eard, like eh.

Touching guys, very touching. I'm overwhelmed, or summat.

I just have to share this with you. I've been correcting someone's article, who has clearly relied heavily on the language option of MS word. Whilst phrases such as "sullied with errors" I've let stand; probably wouldn't be my choice but seeing as this is a maths journal I am not au fait with the language a mathematician would use. However I am pretty sure a synonym for ordinary least squares is not ordinary least public gardens. As much as it would delight me to keep it in, it would be wicked of me to do so.

In much the same vein, this morning I was correcting someone's ppt and was so tempted to change the word "particle" to "penis" in the phrase "micro-orifices and nanoparticles". Just because of it's sN-wordability I did keep orifice in instead of the more commonly used word, "pore". Oh it is fun being the only native speaker, I know I make comparable mistakes in French so we are all fair and square. Or should that be all public garden?

In much the same vein, this morning I was correcting someone's ppt and was so tempted to change the word "particle" to "penis" in the phrase "micro-orifices and nanoparticles"

You've been disturbed from day one. Thank god. Shame on you! A girl who did years of college to be a scientist is combining private parts and grammar editing. How professional! So unprofessional!

I suppose it can be relitive, For Insance moost people could have geused that Gloria Stuart will die before the much healthier Luisse Rainer, Everyone Knew that Yitzak Shamir, Shianouk and Dom Mintoff were on there last legs, However its almost a mirical that Whitney Housten Managed to Outlive Amy Winehouse by over 20 years even though she had been on drugs longer, People in theire fifteys (Swayze, MacCorkindale, Basteleros, Leinhein and Jobs) all succumed to cancer before some in there 80's, Tony Curtis, Elizibeth Taylor, Peter Falk had altot of Health Issues

In the good old days somebody would have been kneecapped by the spelling/poor grammar police If they had posted that, or summat.

I suppose it can be relitive, For Insance moost people could have geused that Gloria Stuart will die before the much healthier Luisse Rainer, Everyone Knew that Yitzak Shamir, Shianouk and Dom Mintoff were on there last legs, However its almost a mirical that Whitney Housten Managed to Outlive Amy Winehouse by over 20 years even though she had been on drugs longer, People in theire fifteys (Swayze, MacCorkindale, Basteleros, Leinhein and Jobs) all succumed to cancer before some in there 80's, Tony Curtis, Elizibeth Taylor, Peter Falk had altot of Health Issues

In the good old days somebody would have been kneecapped by the spelling/poor grammar police If they had posted that, or summat.

If you insist, I could always take over honez's reigns until he returns.

Not with spelling like that you couldn't!

Not with spelling like that you couldn't!

I double checked the spelling on google just in case. I'm still not sure after this.

It seems to me that the deterioration of spelling and grammar is linked to the proliferation of more and more gadgets, iPads, Kindles, iphones and whathaveyou. At least people are always blaming them for it. Personally I think it's just showing off.

• Like 1

Yeah, do it!!!!!!!!!

I wanna see that evil streak come to the fore. I will pin them down, you sledgehammer the kneecaps! :)

It seems to me that the deterioration of spelling and grammar is linked to the proliferation of more and more gadgets, iPads, Kindles, iphones and whathaveyou. At least people are always blaming them for it. Personally I think it's just showing off.

Before we start a search for causes we should perhaps establish as fact that spelling and grammar are indeed deteriorating or have deteriorated. Of course we see lots of errors in that regard, especially in online media, but that may just as easily be explained by the fact that ordinary people's writing is much more visible today than before the arrival of webfora, tweets and blogs.

Before the arrival of the internet most writing I read was done by professional writers. I have no indication that professionals' writing skills have deteriorated since. So the question is: did non-professional writers before the internet write better than today's? Did people spell their shopping lists, or letters to their relatives, better than they write online? I rather doubt it. The fact that there's a thing called "grocers' apostrophe" is evidence that crimes against orthography are of all times.

BTW: I'm going to split these posts to a new topic in the extra-curricular forum. It's got nothing to do with the Comandante.

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Topic split from Fidel Castro

It could be true, text speak has replaced just being thick.

In my day we didnt have all those gadgets to amuse ourselves, it was just good old scalextic and masturbation to Razzle magazine.

I suppose, realistically, cracking one off was pretty harmless to your use and understanding of the English language.

Yes, a return to lifes simple pleasures and diptheria is the way to go.

• Like 1

I assume it was Mr Hein that shifted these posts, for a moment I thought the forum had a poltergeist.

Good thinking Sir!!

You know I hate to be a pedant, but doesn't this thread cover it?

Yes, it does.

Topics merged.

regards,

Hein

Yes, it does.

Topics merged.

regards,

Hein

Yer juzt gonna confooose peeps wiv all dis chopin n changin, aye.

Yes, it does.

Topics merged.

Yer juzt gonna confooose peeps wiv all dis chopin n changin, aye.

Of course I do, it's on purpose. My project to confuse the local

failed miserably, so I try forum readers now.

regards,

Hein

Before we start a search for causes we should perhaps establish as fact that spelling and grammar are indeed deteriorating or have deteriorated. Of course we see lots of errors in that regard, especially in online media, but that may just as easily be explained by the fact that ordinary people's writing is much more visible today than before the arrival of webfora, tweets and blogs.

Before the arrival of the internet most writing I read was done by professional writers. I have no indication that professionals' writing skills have deteriorated since. So the question is: did non-professional writers before the internet write better than today's? Did people spell their shopping lists, or letters to their relatives, better than they write online? I rather doubt it. The fact that there's a thing called "grocers' apostrophe" is evidence that crimes against orthography are of all times.

No. I'm not talking about pre-internet stuff.

I mean that people (on various forums, blogs etc) who used to post in reasonably grammatical and properly spelled English now increasingly post gibberish. And they follow up the gibberish with phrases such "Bloody iphone!" or similar. I think it's just stealth boasting to let us all know they've got the latest web gadgetty thing. Whatever that might be at this precise second - I can't keep up, and have no intention of trying.

I cringe when I see some of what passes for English on the website of my local newspaper.

I'm not talking about the 'readers' comments' below stories but the actual copy posted by jounalists.

There are frequent typographical errors, numerous tautologies and downright confusing sentence constructs.

I don't think this can be blamed on the proliferation of gadgets as, presumably, any prospective journalist would surely have to have reached a certain standard of written English.

I conclude that this standard is now lower than it was in the past.

I suspect that proof-readers are no longer the norm in the (local) newspaper publishing industry these days, which may explain how some of these errors creep through, but some of them can only be down to the journalists' ignorance.

• Like 1

I suspect that proof-readers are no longer the norm in the (local) newspaper publishing industry these days, which may explain how some of these errors creep through, but some of them can only be down to the journalists' ignorance.

Valid points there.

In Dutch newspapers proofreaders disappeared in the 1980s, with horrible results. Today not a single issue of any Dutch newspaper, tabloids as well as broadsheets, is sold that does not contain spelling or grammatical errors.

I suppose nowadays journalist mail their copy directly to the typesetters, errors and all.

regards,

Hein

A couple of years ago, I fired off a furious email to my daughter's headteacher, because she'd brought home a report that was littered with spelling errors and general inaccuracies and inconsistencies. The reply I received was also full of errors, and so was the rewritten report - by which time I had completely lost the will to live. So it's no wonder kids these days are as thick as pigshit, because the teachers are no fucking better.