Larry Pestilence III

The English Language

http://www.anglolang.co.uk/cgi-bin/web_test.cgi/grammar.html

It might not tell you what your chosen profession is, nor how psychotic you are, however for those interested here is a link to an (easy) online grammar test. I'm sure some of our linguists here could direct us to something a lot more challenging.

Well Monoclinic

Very basic academics and more the less common sense. With a few unusual examples I managed to score 42 out of 50 correct.

Well Monoclinic

Very basic academics and more the less common sense. With a few unusual examples I managed to score 42 out of 50 correct.

So what about the other 16%? I didn't find any unusual examples, might be unusual to US anglophones I suppose.

To be perfectly honest and I'm expressing my true opinion here, Canadian Paul was practically more childish on this subject then Carol Ann, for not only pointing out she was childish - But to actually add to it. I mean my whole motive on this capitalization topic is based on the stupidity of Iain who is some asshole who I believe just screws around on the forums, because obviously and I'm sure everybody can agree 'Nobody could be that stupid' I understand your both fooling around, but in the end your both not setting a good example and at the least I'm very disappointed with both of you.

I totally agree. Very disappointing and not setting a good example at all. A little like another eminent poster around these parts who seems unable to differentiate between 'your' and 'you're.' There's been a spate of it lately, although I can't, for the life of me, recall who it was...

I absolutely hear what your saying, your paying good money to see hour long photographers

I understand your both fooling around, but in the end your both not setting a good example and at the least I'm very disappointed with both of you.

Cheers,

BHB

My heart bleeds that your grammatical fantasies were not fulfilled, either way in the end it is a hell of a lot better to screw up one word, then it is to leave the first letter of a sentence uncapitalized.

Yours truly,

Scream

My heart bleeds that your grammatical fantasies were not fulfilled, either way in the end it is a hell of a lot better to screw up one word, then it is to leave the first letter of a sentence uncapitalized.

Yours truly,

Scream

Though it's hardly ever one word is it?

I think what some people, myself included, are trying to say is that you can't really embark on this crusade if your English is not spot on. Sure, make a kind request to capitalise, however if you are going to continue with this crusade then be prepared to heed the advice of others regards your own numerous faults. Accept criticism, as Winston Churchill once said "It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.”

As I said before I can glance over capital letters. I also glance over blatant errors as it doesn't faze me. There are more important things to worry about and besides you can never be too certain who actually has English as a mother tongue on an internet forum.

Though it's hardly ever one word is it?

Nope, there are others. Like the difference between 'there' and 'their'?

Personally I've never heard of this Bernard Manning joke but I've seen his face before, and out of all these minor British actors and famous celebrities that I've never heard of, there absence on the list surprises me, especially when I see the most lame f****n picks ever like Roddy Piper especially. It's so depressing.

I'm not actively seeking these, you understand, merely noticing them as I browse threads.

I'm reminded of a proverb concerning people living in glass houses...

Cheers,

BHB

Accept criticism,

I also glance over blatant errors as it doesn't faze me.

Deal, And keep thinking that way. It doesn't faze me either.

Accept criticism,

I also glance over blatant errors as it doesn't faze me.

I really don't see what the problum is.

And, talking of the misuse of capital letters....

Cheers,

BHB

I just agreed to Accept criticism and here it is crystal clear.

Just always remember, excluding the fact that I'm not a professor at Harvard University who teaches English, my message is very obvious and my motivation is elite to remind others of the etiquette that should go down in these forums.

Hypocritical or not. For what I pass on, I manage.

And, talking of the misuse of capital letters....

Aye, and there's them of us that post the odd bit dialect, like. Still meks sense mind, even to them as is round t'other side o't planet, like, eh.

I just agreed to Accept criticism and here it is crystal clear.

Just always remember, excluding the fact that I'm not a professor at Harvard University who teaches English, my message is very obvious and my motivation is elite to remind others of the etiquette that should go down in these forums.

Hypocritical or not. For what I pass on, I manage.

Huh?

I totally agree with you about the etiquette part though. Bravo. You should be proud of and think of me as a comrade in arms for highlighting these examples of poor grammatical etiquette. You and I, armed with dictionaries and spellchecking software, can wage a war on these etiquette-less f***kers lowering standards around here with their non-capital commencing sentences and misuse of 'your' and 'you're' and 'there' and 'their'.

I am at one with, and ready to take up arms for, your hypocritical motivation.

Cheers,

BHB

Fair point BHB but if we're talking accuracy; how many hours a week do you devote to baiting all and sundry at that famous rest home for thesps?

I am at one with, and ready to take up arms for, your hypocritical motivation.

In highlight of all hypocritical behavior, not once have I criticized one for their grammatical skills 'other then the first letter capitalization and spaces between words and especially when starting a sentence a space must start after the period (jump out the window iain' I master all mentioned above.

So this cleans up the proposal of my hypocritical behavior. And now I will break uncapitalized hearts and dysfunction space less minds!

Edited by Banshees Scream

Fair point BHB but if we're talking accuracy; how many hours a week do you devote to baiting all and sundry at that famous rest home for thesps?

Ooh, we're bringing names into it now, are we?

You've got me, seeing as I've never been anywhere near the building in question, but then I have heard that Maryport is not exactly the western mecca of fun.

Cheers,

BHB

Well Monoclinic

Only 42?

You've got me, seeing as I've never been anywhere near the building in question, but then I have heard that Maryport is not exactly the western mecca of fun.

But - f**k me - we're world champions where irony is concerned.

Was just joshin' re yer name by the way. You could - though - still try and blag yer way into BH for the grand unveiling of the Alan 'Fluff' Freeman plaque next week.

But - f**k me - we're world champions where irony is concerned.

Was just joshin' re yer name by the way. You could - though - still try and blag yer way into BH for the grand unveiling of the Alan 'Fluff' Freeman plaque next week.

World champions at ironing? Fair play.

I should have realised you were only joshin', but it's that pesky dialect that gets me every time. :lol:

Cheers,

BHB

Aye, cheers yersel' gadgy!

Hoping that 'gadgy' is a term of endearment, I Googled the term & the first result was about the Oyster man of Whitby. An interesting tale. Does this Cumbrian term have anything to do with this ghost story?

Entymology? f*****g love it me.

Cheers,

BHB

Hoping that 'gadgy' is a term of endearment, I Googled the term & the first result was about the Oyster man of Whitby. An interesting tale. Does this Cumbrian term have anything to do with this ghost story?

Cheers,

BHB

Another run to this English to American Dictionary, the second trip in as many days. It tells me 'blag' means wheedle, and 'slapper'means someone who is always on the 'pull'. Had to look that one up too.

Mary, is gadgy related to the gypsy word 'gadjo' or 'gadje', their term for non - gypsy?

Cheers,

BHB

Another run to this English to American Dictionary, the second trip in as many days. It tells me 'blag' means wheedle, and 'slapper'means someone who is always on the 'pull'. Had to look that one up too.

Mary, is gadgy related to the gypsy word 'gadjo' or 'gadje', their term for non - gypsy?

Madame,

I think the Dictionary needs lobbing in the bin.

Slapper actually means a woman of, shall we say, easy virtue..... :lol:

To Blag, generally, means to procure something for free when, generally, you would be expected to pay for it.

In short, you wouldnt need to blag a shag from a Tom when you could wangle a buck shee poke from a slapper.

Hope that clears things up.

Regards

Your admirer

LFN

Cheers,

BHB

Madame,

I think the Dictionary needs lobbing in the bin.

Slapper actually means a woman of, shall we say, easy virtue..... :)

To Blag, generally, means to procure something for free when, generally, you would be expected to pay for it.

In short, you wouldnt need to blag a shag from a Tom when you could wangle a buck shee poke from a slapper.

Hope that clears things up.

Regards

Your admirer

LFN

:lol: I think I'm going to lie down for a little while.

:) I think I'm going to lie down for a little while.

I agree. Scoot over. :lol: