Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bet Lynch

Liz Dawn

I don't live in the UK so don't shit on me, but does the sun have a good reputation on things like these? Or are they just another tabloid like the NE or Tmz?

8 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

I don't live in the UK so don't shit on me, but does the sun have a good reputation on things like these? Or are they just another tabloid like the NE or Tmz?

They are certainly a tabloid. However, from what I can tell from, they're much more reliable than the likes of radar online or the national enquirer, where all they post is predictions that celebrities are going to die soon, which 95% of the time, are wrong. 

• Like 1

They are a bunch of cunts. However, so are the Daily Mail, and they're used regularly for reliable deadpooling. The Mirror have picked up the story.

The Sun did, last I heard, pay handsomely for "showbiz scoops", so yeah, this (probably) comes from family or inside the hospital.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Even tabloids are not all alike. NE reports usually indicate that a celebrity is in his/her "sad last days", based on mere gossip, or the vague accounts of someone who has recently seen the said celebrity and thought they looked pretty frail or depressed. 

A report of someone being rushed into hospital, however, seems to be much more concrete and useful information (from a deadpooling perspective), as even if she doesn't die this week, you can be reasonably sure that her health is indeed getting worse, and since emphysema is a chronic and progressive condition, its not gonna take a U-turn either.

TMZ is a good source and they report deaths one minute after they happen. Don't compare it to that absolute rubbish called National Enquirer.

• Like 4

TMZ seem to report deaths one minute before they happen. They've got the Reaper on retainer.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, msc said:

They are a bunch of cunts. However, so are the Daily Mail, and they're used regularly for reliable deadpooling. The Mirror have picked up the story.

The Sun did, last I heard, pay handsomely for "showbiz scoops", so yeah, this (probably) comes from family or inside the hospital.

To be fair, these "cunts" pay handsomely for intrusion into private lives and have been known to take their tactics up to and including phone hacking of those already dead.

Despicable - though a mixed blessing if the resulting information makes dead pooling for efficient.

The article is probably true. She's been ill for years. Also being reported by Daily Mirror and the Mail.

Although the BBC don't seem to have picked it up yet. 

2 hours ago, Deathray said:

The article is probably true. She's been ill for years. Also being reported by Daily Mirror and the Mail.

Although the BBC don't seem to have picked it up yet. 

The BBC are so risk averse these days they tend to wait till someone is being lowered into the ground 

• Like 2

This one of those few deaths - if it happens - that will probably actually hit me; the Corrie cast were essentially part of the furniture in my house growing up - like millions of other homes across Britain where the show is religiously watched. As well as being incredibly acted by Liz Dawn and Bill Tarney among others, the scenes when Vera died back in 2008 are some of the earliest times I truly started to understand what Coronation Street was about - the people and their plights rather than the stunt story lines that were so common when i was growing up and still are to an extent and delve into the backstory of the many characters - rather than it just being that show my mum watches - and look up archive clips of the show; allowing me to fall in love with it. I hope Liz pulls through this ill health; she's a battler as she's shown in the 9 years since she quit the show on health grounds! Some people like to put soap actors down as actors, but the reality is it's a job that means an awful lot to millions of people three or four nights a week - and the consistency of long-serving faces with character like Vera was one of the biggest pulls this show had; and anyone who could cope with the increasing pressures on soap actors for as long as people like Liz Dawn has throughout her career deserves respect. 

EDIT: Just realised this reads like a premature obituary; it wasn't meant too. 

• Like 3

With her family not being optimistic this time unlike before, anyone want to try a sweepstakes? With her condition she's currently in, it might be an actual useful sweepstake. But I want others to agree before we begin...

Please, no.  It will only clutter up the thread and have us clicking on it every five minutes thinking there's news.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Toast said:

Please, no.  It will only clutter up the thread and have us clicking on it every five minutes thinking there's news.

Maybe make another sweepstakes thread in extra curricular for those that still want to do another sweepstakes? Thinking that might be a good idea for future sweepstakes...

• Like 2

I agree with Toast about the clutter, and Joey about creating a new thread for that sort of thing.

• Like 2

Don't believe it will hold any fresh details, but for what it's worth The Daily Express is putting the news on the front page tomorrow.

As in a new thread all-encompassing for sweepstakes? Good idea actually. That way those of us not big on them can properly tune them out.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

As in a new thread all-encompassing for sweepstakes? Good idea actually. That way those of us not big on them can properly tune them out.

I'll start a thread. I'll try to make it democratic still to see if a certain amount want to start Liz Dawn's sweepstakes, but I suspect many will.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fergie86 said:

Sounds like she is recovering, wants to meet her new great-grandchild, give her something to live for. I don't think she has many Christmases left but will be all right for now. 

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/tv/liz-dawn-vera-duckworth-hospital-13600321

Great to hear.

Just seen a tweet from Derek Griffiths that she is in a bad way and sending best wishes.

12 hours ago, Deathray said:

Great to hear.

You haven't picked her in 2017, then?

55 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

You haven't picked her in 2017, then?

She's my joker on the Cobbles to a Coffin theme team, it's possible to pick someone for a deadpool and still hope they live. Some things are bigger than DDP. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Just seen a tweet from Derek Griffiths that she is in a bad way and sending best wishes.

Apparently she's quite chipper in the hospital according to multiple sources. I think she's safe this time, but I think her time will be coming to an end sometime in the next 3 years. 

• Like 1