Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bet Lynch

Liz Dawn

Not unexpected given she left the show due to ill health in 2007, but very saddening none the less. One of the true giants of Coronation Street, she could bring a smile to any story line.  Nobody survives that long with a life-threatening illness like hers unless there's something about them, and by god was there something about Liz Dawn and of course the iconic character she created in Vera for over 30 years. 

• Like 1

Hold the press- hit no 13 has just happened ! Tony Booth is dead too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you were the only girl in the world....

RIP.

1 hour ago, RolandDeschain said:

RIP.

So...Deirdre Barlow in 2015, Hilda Ogden in 2016, Vera Duckworth in 2017...

Ken Barlow for 2018..?

Rita Littlewood/Bates/Fairclough/Sullivan/Tanner first surely?

and Mike Baldwin

Keeps Ken around for the 60th anniversary.

Bet Lynch Emily Bishop Concepta Riley Alan Rothwell Jed Stone Thelma Barlow or Alan Bradley maybe?

5 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Dawn of the Dead

Brilliant!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The DL record is on...

• Like 2

Awwwww Liz Dawn and Bill Tarney we part of what made Corrie half-way entertaining. Now they're both gone.

DL front page has nit been updated yet. I'm seriously starting to think the committee members have real lives! Anyway Dawn's cause of death was emphysema, while Booth had so many ailments we'll probably never know what caused his death.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Awwwww Liz Dawn and Bill Tarney we part of what made Corrie half-way entertaining. Now they're both gone.

Jack and Vera were really updated versions of Stan and Hilda.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

Jack and Vera were really updated versions of Stan and Hilda.

Yup. And Fiz and Tyrone and Beth and Kirk are really lame attempts at carrying on that mantle (Tyrone is not as lame a character as the other three)

Look deep enough at every character in Corrie and they're based on one of the sixties/seventees characters. 

Percy Sugden was the WW2 Albert Tatlock.

• Like 1

Nominating "earnest retro Coronation Street fan Deathray" as DL gimmick of the year 2017.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, drol said:

DL front page has nit been updated yet. I'm seriously starting to think the committee members have real lives! Anyway Dawn's cause of death was emphysema, while Booth had so many ailments we'll probably never know what caused his death.

One wrong turn looking up family history years back led me to a great death certificate from the 1920s, which stated the cause of death for one poor chap as "everything".

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

One wrong turn looking up family history years back led me to a great death certificate from the 1920s, which stated the cause of death for one poor chap as "everything".

I think that's what the committee put for Pope John Paul 2 cause of death IIRC...

Still not updated....

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Nominating "earnest retro Coronation Street fan Deathray" as DL gimmick of the year 2017.

Not sure what the point your trying to make here is? I've always been a fan of modern Corrie - having watched it since I was a bairn in the early 00s - blame living in a house full of women for most of my childhood  and not having many friends - I was naturally curious about the past and most of it was available on YouTube during one of my summer holidays - so I watched the first ten episodes and the entire run from 76-81 over the course of a month or so. Which as I'm sure you'll know is before Jack and Vera became a big thing although Vera was a fairly big character by the end of that and Jack was making more frequent appearances - my fondness for Vera comes from watching the show with my family in the noughties - the same place my fondness for characters like Sally, Sarah, Todd, Steve, Leanne and David Platt comes from There's no gimmick here, I'm not claiming to have watched every episode or anything ridiculous. No gimmick to be seen here; I actually am this sad. 

Also Cobbles to a Coffin has been running since the December I first binged on that particular set of episodes.

Also I'm not running around saying every character in old episodes of Coronation Street was good; anyone who's seen Martin Cheveski's turn in the show or the wonderfully abysmal Roger Floriet would have to know sometimes the past is best left to the past...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Deathray said:

1. I've always been a fan of modern Corrie - having watched it since I was a bairn in the early 00s 

2.  I was naturally curious about the past and most of it was available on YouTube during one of my summer holidays - so I watched the first ten episodes and the entire run from 76-81 over the course of a month or so.

1.  Funny, that was about the time I stopped watching it.

2.  It was only on twice a week then, of course.

I used to watch Eastenders, Emmerdale and Brookside as well, but when they started being on nearly every day I gave up and went cold turkey on the lot.

1 hour ago, drol said:

Still not updated....

Dawn is up now, but still no sign of Booth...

20 minutes ago, Toast said:

1.  Funny, that was about the time I stopped watching it.

2.  It was only on twice a week then, of course.

I used to watch Eastenders, Emmerdale and Brookside as well, but when they started being on nearly every day I gave up and went cold turkey on the lot.

Before or after the Richard Hillman saga, that's the first major story line I remember - albiet rather hazily. To be frank watching it back I'm amazed I was allowed to watch it at 7 years old...

Going by it's rather swift axing you were probably one of the last people to give up on Brookside. I watched the last episode of it the other day and it wasn't all that bad. I thought I'd swing by a few other early 00s episodes and swiftly went back to watching cat videos. I've never seen the attraction of Emmerdale, however watched the first episode from 1972 out of interest and could see myself watching that completely different show. They are on far too much now, I've gone from religiously watching EE and Corrie to just religiously watching Corrie and swinging by an episode of EE or two a week. I've never bothered with the aussie soaps, but occasionally watch Doctors. Think I calculated the other day if you wanted to watch all current UK soap broadcasts you'd need to set aside an entire waking day a week.

2 hours ago, drol said:

Still not updated....

Don't be so impatient. 

• Like 5