themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2013

Yeah, it's that time of the year to blankly stare at the names of people you'd scribbled down in the past 12 months and try and work out if they're actually famous or not.

Yes, and it's time for me to look blankly at a list of names and think "who the fuck are they?"

The game I run at work has a basic list of 400 names and I get players saying they don't know who some of the names are.

Admittedly they are often very young but some of the people should be household names.

The other possibility is that I know far too much about obscure elderly celebrities than is healthy.

But I am in good company.

I had trouble sending my team due to me having Windows Vista(or something) can I post it here? or is there another way?

Team Name:BadEgg's Big Bag of Bollocks

Joker (Pick 1):Hugh Hefner

Pick 2:Margaret Thatcher

Pick 3:Rihanna

Pick 4:Sarah Kennedy (Game For a Laugh/DJ)

Pick 5:Ian Brady

Pick 6:Richard O'Sullivan(Dick Turpin)

Pick 7:Frank Bruno

Pick 8:Jackie Charlton (Dirty Leeds)

Pick 9:Roger Moore(007)

Pick 10:Paul Shane (Hi De Hi)

Pick 11:Frank Williams(Vicar Dad's Army)

Pick 12:Pamela Cundell(Mrs.Fox Dad's Army)

Pick 13:Tommy Docherty(Man Ure manager)

Pick 14:Rev Ian Paisley

Pick 15:Ian Huntley

Pick 16:Tony Benn

Pick 17:Dennis Healey

Pick 18:Eusebio(Portugese goalscorer supreme)

Pick 19:Frank Bough

Pick 20:Nelson Mandela

Reserve Pick(s):Ian St.John,Peter Lorimer(Dirty Leeds),Peter McCloy(Hun goalkeeper)

Well Ive done an aproch pciking the obsurest of the obscure seeing as most people who have wiki articles who die reguly are these sorts of "famous" poepleI made a theme team with the likes of Oprea Singer Eric Tappy and Auther Antonia Barber heard of them? didnt think so!

Guest laggers

Well Ive done an aproch pciking the obsurest of the obscure seeing as most people who have wiki articles who die reguly are these sorts of "famous" poepleI made a theme team with the likes of Oprea Singer Eric Tappy and Auther Antonia Barber heard of them? didnt think so!

we have now....

I had trouble sending my team due to me having Windows Vista(or something) can I post it here? or is there another way?

Team Name:BadEgg's Big Bag of Bollocks

Joker (Pick 1):Hugh Hefner

Pick 2:Margaret Thatcher

Pick 3:Rihanna

Pick 4:Sarah Kennedy (Game For a Laugh/DJ)

Pick 5:Ian Brady

Pick 6:Richard O'Sullivan(Dick Turpin)

Pick 7:Frank Bruno

Pick 8:Jackie Charlton (Dirty Leeds)

Pick 9:Roger Moore(007)

Pick 10:Paul Shane (Hi De Hi)

Pick 11:Frank Williams(Vicar Dad's Army)

Pick 12:Pamela Cundell(Mrs.Fox Dad's Army)

Pick 13:Tommy Docherty(Man Ure manager)

Pick 14:Rev Ian Paisley

Pick 15:Ian Huntley

Pick 16:Tony Benn

Pick 17:Dennis Healey

Pick 18:Eusebio(Portugese goalscorer supreme)

Pick 19:Frank Bough

Pick 20:Nelson Mandela

Reserve Pick(s):Ian St.John,Peter Lorimer(Dirty Leeds),Peter McCloy(Hun goalkeeper)

School boy error:

Giving away your picks in public two weeks (Jim) Prior to the end of the year is utter madness. May I say in a historic DeForest Kelly type voice say...

"Good grief man, have you no self respect"

Not only that quite a lot of your picks are wide of the mark, saying that you have been knocking about these parts of late and we really would have expected better...

170-candidate longlist for me. May have to cancel most of my Christmas family functions in order to see what Masao Yoshida's up to these days.

• Like 1

Don'y know how you can get to lists of over 100 people.

I struggle to get 50.

Come on Windy. A list of 100 half decent quality names should be within everyone's grasp given the info available on the Internet.

But most deadpool lists only run to ten, twenty or fifty names.

Pick any 20 old people and you have a fair shot at finding most within the last 20 years of their life span. Thus unlucky not to have at least one hit. Hone your looking and finding skills and this lowly score could become three, four or five hits. Concentrate on old and very ill people and with luck your score could rise above 10 out of 20.

Good luck to those you take part. I'll be pulling out the stops again but I pretty much know too many others will by the end of the year have a better or luckier list than me.

I have a nice and hefty list of potentials. Roughly 25 of them are in the running for my team at this point and those are the ones I scrutinize most closely though I also check up on the larger list to see if any have had changes in health or circumstances.

• Like 1

I like to make a neat table chart of my rough picks. And then when Im done I print it off and stare at it for long periods of time until New Years. And then I say fuck I didnt see that article about Nile Rodgers being cancer free. :banghead:

My Process:

1) Spend year compiling names, writing down their age and condition as well.

2) Check on all my picks monthly, deleting names if condition improves or they die.

3) Cull list starting in December.

4) Make final list around Christmas, send it in.

I've gone from 50 names to 25 in the last few weeks, getting rid of Borgonovo, SeungEun Lee, Hallenga, Nolan, and all of my current DDP entry save 3 names.

My process.

1 - Pick 20 names

2 - Hope for the best

Yes, that's pretty much how to do it. :lol:

I can't help wondering if keen deadpoolers are just setting themselves up to fail by writing huge lists - too much perspiration and not enough inspiration?

Well, I don't think I did too badly for a rookie this year so I've entered for 2013 too. Without spoiling in advance, one of my picks I have the feeling might be close to an unique one (don't think they've ever been mentioned on here...) but my joker almost certainly wont be.

I can't help wondering if keen deadpoolers are just setting themselves up to fail by writing huge lists - too much perspiration and not enough inspiration?

Yeah, I'm expecting to trip up because of that - I suspect I've over-thought. My 2012 list was done over an hour on New Year's Eve, and I've done relatively well this year despite not picking any particularly obscure candidates. I've been working on my 2013 list for a few months and have 50-odd names on a longlist (though in part because I wanted to do a DL Shadow List), plus 20-odd for my theme team, most of whom are separate. But I'm not going to expect to do better, because not all the hot candidates will die - it's not guaranteed that Mandela won't recover from his illness or that Chopper Read is exaggerating his cancer

If there's one thing this site has taught me about death in the years I've been lurking here, it's to expect the unexpected with death - I know it's an obvious statement to make but I doubt anyone would've expected al-Megrahi to last nearly 3 years after his release, or that Zsa-Zsa is still with us, or indeed that Biggs is still going. Sometimes the human body defies logic. Hence my reluctance to put pancreatic cancer sufferers on my list, because Sod's Law dictates that the one pancreatic cancer sufferer I stick on my DDP team is going to be the one that defies science and survives

I'm quite sure I've been using too much inspiration of late and not using enough trust in my previous pure maths based approach. I was significantly higher in the past than in these last few years.

Maybe, I should return to a previous system and play it as my theme team and see if it comes good?

My list tends to be split into hunches, folk likely going to die and wishful thinking. In 2012, however, this has resulted in 5 likely to die (ie terminally ill) hits, 1 hunch, and absolutely no wishful thinking successes. There's a lesson there.

Well, with Dina Manfredini's death i lost one of my pick :(

It's time for Roger Etchegaray!

Well i regret sending in my list on the 2nd of december, because 2 of my picks died in the same week :/

Well i regret sending in my list on the 2nd of december, because 2 of my picks died in the same week :/

Why did you send it so late ?

Mine was sent on 01/12/2012

I've put in some effort with research this year, I'm optimistic about my team but you just know it won't work out as simply as you think...still mulling over half of them!

Cleared out my entire team from this year I think, although Yoshida and Misch aren't out of the question...

I will be using the same approach as every previous year - get to 30th December, think 'shit, I haven't done my list' - rush through the 'ideas for 2013' thread, check my work caseload for any marginally famous terminally ill old gits, and then sit back and watch the hits roll in........:D

My approach is take last year's list, resubmit it.

One day this approach will pay off!

Kept the Midlands theme, but additional research has changed about half the listing. Hope to improve on my solitary hit in my debut season.

I had a nice shortlist of about 25 names at the beginning of December but I swear like every day this month someone close to death keeps popping in the news and now my shortlist before I submit my official team has ballooned up to almost 40 hopefully I don't overthink the whole thing.