themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2013

I'm only... sixty two points behind OoO just now. :lol: Mind you, just wait till those unique Tories start giving up the ghost in the winter months, it'll be the greatest comeback since Lazarus. :P

Ali, I didn't pick Chavez either, but thats because I seem to be one of the few people who thought they were exaggerating his health issues...

Nice to see I'm at 2nd place, best I enjoy it whilst I can.

For the start of March, there are some very high scores tallied up already. I predict a record breaking year.

OoO really looks too strong, even from here, to me all his remaining live team members are deep in mire health wise and he is to garner just too many more to make in virtually impossible to match that level of Deadpool play.

Too early to concede just yet RA!

For the start of March, there are some very high scores tallied up already. I predict a record breaking year.

Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than a couple finishing past 100 points

OoO really looks too strong, even from here, to me all his remaining live team members are deep in mire health wise and he is to garner just too many more to make in virtually impossible to match that level of Deadpool play.

Too early to concede just yet RA!

Indeed. If Star Dust gets obits for Harvey and Bos, I'm not even going to be in the lead. I think there's at least 20 teams still capable of victory yet.

I think of my remaining 12, Pardee is a given but the others, although ill, coulld hang on in there for a while yet. If Farmer, Athaiya and Fielding go, then I'm a bit more confident about victory.

But Lisa Lynch is surely going to die this year and get an obit, so that's 20 points to DDT, and I didn't pick Bernie Nolan. Tactically, although I think Nolan will see 2014, maybe I should've chosen her ahead of Suarez.

I have a single hit. And it was a REALLY obvious one.

I'd love to say its fun just to be a part of it but goddamnit, my DL game is weak. :angry2:

Got 3 hits in 2 and a bit months, and yet I'm way down in =55th. Sums it up, really

In the ddp-site, why does it say that Princess Lilian was still active in the Swedish royal family, when she's struggled with Alzheimer's for a long time? Btw, she's my second hit for this year.

Indeed. If Star Dust gets obits for Harvey

Like Stardust I'm waiting on the Harvey obit which looks increasingly unlikely as the days pass by.

'The Guardian' say they have no room for his obit. Wow thats a nice way to treat one of your ex-employees and former Reporter of the year for the same paper.

In the ddp-site, why does it say that Princess Lilian was still active in the Swedish royal family, when she's struggled with Alzheimer's for a long time? Btw, she's my second hit for this year.

She was still active whenever she was first picked on DDP

Yes a few entries could do with updating as the Queen is described as not a popular pick but she must be heading for the drop forty in the next two years.

Yes a few entries could do with updating as the Queen is described as not a popular pick but she must be heading for the drop forty in the next two years.

There's well over 3000 names chosen, lots of whom are new this year. Perhaps someone will volunteer to go through them and identify which need updating, write the updates and edit the site. In the meantime, perhaps the rest of us should just shut up bitching.

• Like 5

I'm doing better than I expected to do, especially for my first year- a 4 way tie for 23rd. I'd be in 10th if I made Chavez my joker, and I've pretty much regretted not making him my joker since the very beginning.

Ian Farmer, Anette Funicello, Kate Granger, Mike Porcaro and Adolfo Suarez were all calls I didn't make (only regretting Damon Harris). A different approach.

How much more does Odstock have to give?

There's well over 3000 names chosen, lots of whom are new this year. Perhaps someone will volunteer to go through them and identify which need updating, write the updates and edit the site. In the meantime, perhaps the rest of us should just shut up bitching.

No bitching was intended. I realise the enormity of the task and we are all grateful to TMIB for all his hard work.

The incongruity of the description with the then long list of picks rather made me smile.

I'm already taking a Liverpool-esque "there's always next season" approach to this year's DDP.

No bitching was intended. I realise the enormity of the task and we are all grateful to TMIB for all his hard work.

The incongruity of the description with the then long list of picks rather made me smile.

I'm guessing the post wasn't intended as me as much as you but I do hope I didn't come off as bitchy either. Was moreso just answering Roibot's question.

• Like 1

I'm guessing the post wasn't intended as me as much as you but I do hope I didn't come off as bitchy either. Was moreso just answering Roibot's question.

My ire was primarily directed at Roibot, After I posted I realised I was being rather hypocritical as I've had a bitch or two in the past (oo-er) (most recently about the spelling of Roobarb).

Perhaps I should have been less hasty.

Then again, ...

• Like 1

But Lisa Lynch is surely going to die this year and get an obit, so that's 20 points to DDT,

Lisa Lynch Obit is in the Guardian today.

TMIB,

What do the decisions of the Telegraph & The Sun going behind a paywall mean for future obits for the DDP? May it mean a change of sources in the future as I am sure other papers will follow suit?

TMIB,

What do the decisions of the Telegraph & The Sun going behind a paywall mean for future obits for the DDP? May it mean a change of sources in the future as I am sure other papers will follow suit?

Yes I've been musing on this. It could be that in the future the only "free" resource for obits would be the BBC. I may decide that the Beeb will be the "only" source for obits should the others shut up shop. Of course that narrows things down a bit in terms of picks/hits but it may focus the minds a bit, although it might force entry numbers down as some of the more obscure pickers may give up the ghost...

Let me assure you all that nothing has been decided...yet.

TMIB,

Yes I've been musing on this. It could be that in the future the only "free" resource for obits would be the BBC. I may decide that the Beeb will be the "only" source for obits should the others shut up shop. Of course that narrows things down a bit in terms of picks/hits but it may focus the minds a bit, although it might force entry numbers down as some of the more obscure pickers may give up the ghost...

Let me assure you all that nothing has been decided...yet.

:huh: I don't like the sound of that at all. Even if you can't read the whole article, surely an obituary from, say, The Sun, would show up online? The Times have been hidden behind a paywall for a while, but you can still see who has got an obituary and who hasn't - e.g 2012 DDP hit Faustino Sainz Munoz, whose death wasn't mentioned anywhere else.

Taking risks with obscure picks is part of the fun of deadpooling. The BBC are very hit and miss with their obituaries, loads of deserving candidates might miss out. Don't do it, TMIB :(

• Like 3

Taking risks with obscure picks is part of the fun of deadpooling. The BBC are very hit and miss with their obituaries, loads of deserving candidates might miss out. Don't do it, TMIB :(

Not really.

Obscure picks tend to undermine the point of a celebrity dead pool because they're not 'proper famous' like Pat Butcher.

For the record, Jo Bryant was betrayed by the media...