themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2013

Cecil's death basically makes it a certainty that most DDP records will be broken this year. We're not halfway through 2013 yet and Triple O already has 12 hits to his name (a record-equalling 13th if Pardee ever obits), leaving him with 18 points to break the points barrier as well. Kate Granger and Bhanu Athaiya better be watching their backs.

• Like 1

They can all drop like nine pins now I've sorted out the biogs and pics. Full speed ahead to 200 hits I reckon...

• Like 2

Certainly has been an amazing year. Literally anyone on Od's team could die next and he'd be in triple digits.

The way it looks now 20-30 teams could end up in double digit hits.

The thing is, even though I have 12 hits and 95 points, I don't feel at all confident about winning or even finishing in the top 10, such is the strength this year. When you look at the leading challengers, there's not really enough of a cushion.

Godot, I'm sure would excel in my left brain thinking, but here's how I see the challengers;

OoO's remaining picks: Bryan, Suarez, Porcaro could go any time. Granger, I think, will go before 2014, but she's putting up a hell of a fight. Athaiya appears to be recovering, Fielding was recovering but has been suspiciously quiet recently, whereas Ian Farmer, who has cancer, has sold all his shares, quit his job and not been seen since he quit last Summer. I still expect perhaps 3 of them to go, whilst if Pardee is going to happen, it won't happen until the NFL season is back.

Going Underground (11 points behind); Bernie Nolan is likely to be my big miss. GU has picked her. Edrich seems to have things under control, likewise Frederiksen and O'Neal. Fowley is a good pick and one I think will pass away, Kyoung-hui is intriguing, Castro, Bush and Madeley don't show signs of immediately going, but could quite reasonably pass away. Katherine Crowe, I felt, was a long-term terminally ill, i.e. late 2014/early 2015.

The Living End (13 points behind); Still the one to fear. However, Farmer and Granger are both picked by myself. George is in remission, so that's a blow for DDT, but Daniel, De Bruin, Jardine (especially so), Jaruzelski, Mandela (on death's door, it seems), Misch, Price are all quite likely, whereas Crowe has already been mentioned.

Thomas Jefferson Survives (15 points behind)- bar DDT, I think the most likely. Jardine, Nolan, Jaruzelski, Superstar B.Graham are all likely hits.

Al-Assad probably not now, I think he'll find a way out of it. Borgonovo is likely to go, but obit chances?, Franz not sure about his health, Gadaffi seems to be on the land of the living for now, Clive James I think should be here come 2014, whilst Thorson was Spade Cooley's trick gambit.

David Quantick's Showbiz Pals (24 points behind) - Spade has Jardine as his joker and this is why he is a serious contender. Duff, Mandela, Kalashnikov, Pran are very good picks, Young too, but there is the obit factor with him. Although Spade also has Pardee, he's gone for Metsu and Buell - the latter seems better, the former less so. But it all hinges on Jardine.

Daniel Faraday's Notebook (26 points behind) - has two really good picks not already covered, Rubin Carter and Joost van der Westhuizen.

Other picks not mentioned already are Dole (seems better now), Marshall (hard to make out really how ill or not she is) and Robbo. Also picked Buell, Crowe, C James, Jardine, Nolan, Pardee and Thorson, a strong line up.

Heading Nowhere (26 points behind) - Has Rex Barnett but he seems recovered and obit chances are dubious (see Dennis James). Woodhead is not as vocal as before so could be a good pick, Hallenga seems blessed with her battle, but for how long? Chopper Read seems okay now, but likewise if some of his bollocks is true, he's a goner. Also picked; Bush, Crowe, George, Superstar Graham, C James, Jardine, Nolan, Strassman

Golden Slumbers (29 points behind) - At the moment, the last of the main contenders, but I would say any of the top 20 would be contenders potentially - the trick is getting two obits - Dennis James & Pardee. That would reduce the deficit to 20 points straight out. Selebi and Willis are excellent picks, Mackintosh & Ford I'm not aware of, Granger has been picked as well. Borgonovo and Carter are already discussed, Buell is the joker and the key to Golden Slumbers hopes of winning - if Pardee and James get obits and Buell dies, serious, serious contenders.

• Like 6

Damn, we're even getting the chalkboard out for dead pooling analysis these days, OoO going for that spot as the Jonathan Wilson of cadaver predicting.

I'm not going to speak on anyone else's team, but if I can stay in the top five I'll consider that a successful year for me. I rode the fuck out of my luck on the Millwall obituary, but that's been balanced by not getting the Pardee rub. I don't have Nolan either, so if she does move over as her family seem to be suggesting I'll be playing catch up. Mandela, Pran and Jardine should be gone by year-end, from what I understand Metsu should as well. James R Young is a big of an obit craproll but he's one of the thirty highest-salaried CEOs in America and a major donator to the Republican Party, so I'm hoping for at least some media coverage. Like Farmer, he too sold most of his shares last year. Mickey Duff has been battling Alzheimer's for about a decade now, I even know what rest home he's in (which is probably more than he does): Nightingale House in Clapham. Not too far from me, I might pop round one day and see what's popping.

Munro is a dead loss pick for me. I heard she was in very poor health and she wasn't doing promo for her new book, but I think the lack of promo was just because she can't be bothered, as this pic taken a few days ago seems to show her in decent enough health for an 82-year-old.

BL3pAxPCEAAQPei.jpg

Nice to see someone is analysing the contenders and potential stiffs. Me? Just give the death, I'll come up wit the pun and Bob's yer Bob.

Personally, 5 hits in 6 months is sort-of nearly a return to form. Nolan's my joker and a dead cert. Attenborough has recently gone into the home which finished off McManus, with Jaruzelski, Phillips and Reynolds representing the best of the rest...

Very, very nice analysis. For Franz, I have no clue if he has specific ailments, but in an article on the Hindenburg's 75th while the younger survivor (Werner Doehner) had some comments on the incident to give, Franz couldn't be reached for comment. That could be an indicator of health or just reflective of the fact he lives in Germany. But I mostly picked him on the merit that he was interesting, guaranteed an obit, and most importantly was a likely unique.

In terms of how I'm doing, I'd be very, very satisfied even if Cecil ends up my last hit. It near certainly won't be the case what Nolan and co hanging by a thread but I'm speaking more from a hypothetical pov than anything. On my first time I've managed 9 hits, a unique on someone genuinely famous, and every death coming with an obit, though granted Muir is the only one I felt was a gamble. The only real sign of me being a first timer is Thorson's presence, and to a lesser extent not catching Clive James's leukemia being in remission. (although he isn't really a bad pick in that he could still go, but it probably won't be 2013)

Without wanting to be that guy, it's worth bearing in mind that I may be way down now but I also have many of those picks you're talking about at the top - Mandela, Jardine, Metsu, Nolan, Buell and van der Westhuizen, plus Stephen Lewis and Liz Dawn who have supposedly been very ill for a while. 58 points beyond OoO but I have a lot of points left on the board. If the cards all fall my way, I could make a big surge in the second half, though I should imagine it'd be difficult to win from here

All hinges on Borgonovo, though - I think he'll get the obit if he goes but he's well enough to write an article for FIFA so who knows? He's done well to last this long with ALS. In hindsight it might have been too much of a gamble to give him the joker

Also I remember this time last year Waddell was a write-off for me, supposedly getting better, and yet he was dead by August. We're not even halfway through the year

Looking at your choices I think you could easily pick up 6-8 more hit this year. Nolan,Mandela look dead certain not to see out the year. Jardline,Metsu,Dawn would be on most teams if their was a 2nd half ddp league ,van der Westhuizen seem's to be the worst off of all the ALS cases and Chopper,Adler,Buell,Greaves I think 1 or 2 from that group might go. I would say top 3, 5 or top 10 though still might all hinge on your joker Borgonovo.

Brilliant analysis (and not just because I got a mention!)

Dennis James is a write-off now, something I'll have to learn from but I think there's still some hope with Pardee. If i am to have any chance of victory though, I agree, Buell will have to pass away and that doesn't look particularly likely, also probably need a unique or two to pop up with the goods.

Yeah good analysis OoO.

After Bernie Nolan my surviving picks are pretty speculative at best.

I'd be really happy with a Top 10 this year I must admit :)

Would this count as an obit for Jens?

http://uk.news.yahoo...43.html#EIOZlvu

The stewards inquiry says....yes!

Excellent. That means all my teams have at least one hit, still searching for a suitable Sarah Kirsch obit.

Alright so 50 down on the board and I'm halfway there. I'm not complaining but I'm not satisfied. In six months from now, who knows. :ghost5:

Triple O is the Tiger Woods of DDP right now if it's even that.

I wonder if anyone had james gandolfini on their list ?

Nope. No one had Gandolfini on their DDP this year.

Rotten.com Deadpool entrant CappMan72 had him in a list (dated back to 25th March) that contains such as Betty White.

Rotten.com Deadpool entrant CappMan72 had him in a list (dated back to 25th March) that contains such as Betty White.

rotten .com a different deadpool ?