themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2013

Weirdly enough, Doreen Keogh, a unique pick up there, was one of the final cuts from my team. A friend of mine's grandmother is in the same rest home as her. Apparently she's lost her marbles a bit but still active.

So I take it the Doreen Keogh who died in February last year is a different one?

Interesting. It is the same one it seems. However, when OoO sent me the list of celebs with the details back in February, there was obviously no indication then that she had died (and for a year!) and since she was an actress of some note (Corrie, Royle Family) it would have surely have not gone unnoticed...

Update: According to this Coronation Street blog dated from last July, Doreen lives in County Wicklow...

Weirdly enough, Doreen Keogh, a unique pick up there, was one of the final cuts from my team. A friend of mine's grandmother is in the same rest home as her. Apparently she's lost her marbles a bit but still active.

So I take it the Doreen Keogh who died in February last year is a different one?

Interesting. It is the same one it seems. However, when OoO sent me the list of celebs with the details back in February, there was obviously no indication then that she had died (and for a year!) and since she was an actress of some note (Corrie, Royle Family) it would have surely have not gone unnoticed...

Update: According to this Coronation Street blog dated from last July, Doreen lives in County Wicklow...

Yeah, that's where my mate's from. Well, he actually said "the woman who has the fight with Mrs Doyle on that episode of Father Ted where they go to the mainland".

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0449049/ IMDB says she's alive.

This is the obituary that Wikipedia has for Doreen:

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/doreen-barrett-nee-keogh-obituary-1-4220749

Now while it matches the age of the Corrie starlet, a) why would an Irish actress go to a retirement home in Burnley? B) Doreen Keogh was married to her Corrie co-star, the late Ivan Beavis. Why would her married name be "Barrett"?

I think this is just an over-vigilant Wiki editor not checking their cross-references.

One thing in your list Spade I noticed - Superstar Billy Graham (3 selections) isn't there.

This is the obituary that Wikipedia has for Doreen:

http://www.burnleyex...tuary-1-4220749

Now while it matches the age of the Corrie starlet, a) why would an Irish actress go to a retirement home in Burnley? B) Doreen Keogh was married to her Corrie co-star, the late Ivan Beavis. Why would her married name be "Barrett"?

I think this is just an over-vigilant Wiki editor not checking their cross-references.

and her husband was called Jim, whereas as you say she was married to Ivan. Looks like Handrejka (or Wiki's) Keogh is a completely different one. What annoys me about this is what I was alluding to in the World Cup Players thread;

1) Original research is frowned upon

2) Obvious rubbish links to try and fit something is accepted. I found it with a racing driver once who was the same name (quite common), same year of birth but no link at all to their history, their family. Just shit.

Well done Spade on your list. When I did my analysis, I was thinking of going down that line but I couldn't be bothered after looking at a few teams.I do geniually feel I have "deaths in hand" over the leader and I don't regret picking Crowe. But maybe tactically I should've picked her like I should've done Nolan.

One thing in your list Spade I noticed - Superstar Billy Graham (3 selections) isn't there.

I think this is because the quotemarks around "Superstar" confused Excel. Changed.

Is that so, Spade? She's my pick, a bit of a long shot because I couldn't find any mention of her current health, or of her at all really. I thought I'd read somewhere that she'd had a stroke. Even retired actors tend to pop up in the news now and again, so the complete silence led me to speculate that she might be quite poorly.

Well done Spade on your list. When I did my analysis, I was thinking of going down that line but I couldn't be bothered after looking at a few teams.I do geniually feel I have "deaths in hand" over the leader and I don't regret picking Crowe. But maybe tactically I should've picked her like I should've done Nolan.

I definitely agree re the deaths in hand, I think Fielding is the only one on your team that seems to be a write off whereas I have three (and James+Franz are less likely then the rest albeit they could plausibly die). Plus Granger is one of yours which I think offsets the lack of Crowe, at least against me since I know there are some who have both.

I suspect my race is all but run but one more hit from my surviving 'pot luck' picks should hopefully seal the top 10 place I was after before the 2013 comp started.

Although, now Bernie has gone there aren't many bankers left and this could go right down to the wire and a flukey death on NYE.

TMIB - Did you ever make a decision abour New Years Eve deaths and the time allocated for an obit into the new year? We really need to get something set in writing please sir.

TMIB - Did you ever make a decision abour New Years Eve deaths and the time allocated for an obit into the new year? We really need to get something set in writing please sir.

tbh, around September time a thread where we all pester TMIB with questions about the rules in order to raise his blood pressure might be a good idea.

On the subject of NYE I see that Sandy Jardine's birthday is on that day. You just know it's going to happen!!!

I think Jardine may be the last real banker for you guys who have him and was never on my radar at all when i was finding picks. How the hell did I miss him.

I believe the precedent with Lisa Lynch (whose death eventually did make the papers) is that Tweets from a media organisation do not count. Although whether tweets that were embedded on a media organisation's homepage would....

Two of the unique picks from that longlist posted last week have already joined the choir invisible, fyi.

List of the Missed;

Does the following count as a valid obit?

Theo Bos - http://www1.skysport...-Vitesse-Arnhem

Oooh, I'd imagine it does as it states he did die. Good spot!

List of the Missed;

Does the following count as a valid obit?

Theo Bos - http://www1.skysport...-Vitesse-Arnhem

Oooh, I'd imagine it does as it states he did die. Good spot!

Oh yes, yes, YES!

My very first real, points yielding hit for a Theme Team. Thank you.

regards,

Hein

^^ Up to 4th overall now

Has T-Model Ford had an obit yet?

^^ Up to 4th overall now

Has T-Model Ford had an obit yet?

Not yet, unless Digital Spy counts. He's done interviews with the Telegraph and the Guardian so I'd be pretty miffed if he doesn't end up with one. If that's the case, with Dennis James and probably Pardee write-offs, it's game over for me.

What's the record for List of the Lost hits in one team in a single year? Has anyone ever had three before?

I'd suspect it'd probably be a super/centenarian theme team. This one has 8 LotLers for instance, so that'd probably be the record holder...

It's pretty strange looking at the first few years that had a List of the Lost, 2007-2010 are all rather small whilst 2011 forward are gigantic. P. much reflects quite a few factors ie theme team affinity for the likes of supercentenarians and obscure wrestlers, as well as Pardee-type gambits

The T-Model Ford obituary comes through courtesy of the Guardian, saving me the ignominy of three picks in the land of the lost.

It also claims that he's 89, other sources suggest he's in his 90s, what's the protocol on such things?

The T-Model Ford obituary comes through courtesy of the Guardian, saving me the ignominy of three picks in the land of the lost.

It also claims that he's 89, other sources suggest he's in his 90s, what's the protocol on such things?

Tricky one. Said to be anywhere from 89 to 94. Guardian have called it at 89 and since they have come up with the pukka obit, we'll go with that for now, until we get the real age, if ever...

I will be on holiday in Devon from 23rd-28th July so I may wait to update on the Monday...