themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2013

Given the varied spellings of his name and the oodles of Abul/Aziz/Sauds knocking about, this is going to be a real ballache finding the required obit...

How about some updates on some of the names that could decide where the trophy ends up in 2013?

Katherine Crowe

Now that it's been ascertained that the BBC, for some reason, have a fascination with this failed pop star, those of who didn't pick her are all cursing themselves. Her latest blog post is her admitting that her days are numbered and that "I have pain now, and I always said I wouldn't last long with pain... something big is coming". Time for TMIB to get his crow's feet/as the crow flies puns ready.

Clive James

Has confirmed that he "won't see Australia again". So some good news for him there. Still feels like a 2014 casualty to me, but we'll see.

Sandy Jardine

As has been said elsewhere, dead pools are often decided by who lives rather than who dies. Sandy's cry of "no surrender" to the tumours infecting his liver have led to a diagnosis of "in remission", which should see him welcome in 2014 with a rousing rendition of "The Sash". He's still using words like "battling" and "fighting" though, so I don't think he's off future longlists just yet.

Kate Granger

Let's be honest here: a terrible, terrible attention whore. Is apparently well enough to be changing jobs and is already announcing conferences she'll be at next year. I'm sure another "I will be tweeting/liveblogging/updating Pinterest on my deathbed" press release will be out soon when she has a book to plug though.

Ryan Buell

Is working on a Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers comic book. No, seriously.

• Like 1

So out of the names on that one "all the names on the highest teams" list you made that have three or more selections, Crowe (along with the old and frail picks of Mandela and Jaruzelski) is more or less the only one still likely to give out points. Beyond that it's mostly the two-or-less picks in terms of potential decisiveness.

Theme team Minions of Xuleneb:

• Wim Ruska

Ruska inducted in Judo Hall of Fame. ISTM this may well be the kiss of death.

The interesting bit is:

Mr. Willem Ruska was inducted by Mr. Jan Snijders, IJF Head Refereeing Director, who said: “I had the honour of training with Willem. He was a great champion. He can’t be here but his wife Elisabeth will accept the award.”

I know Mr Ruska hasn't been well since he suffered a stroke, but apparently he can't travel to Brazil.

regards.

Hein

Guest Russ

I am considering entering next year but I want to know if my choices are good or not.

Kirk Douglas

Nelson Mandela

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Ozzy Osbourne

Courtney Love

Yes/No? on each

I am considering entering next year but I want to know if my choices are good or not.

Kirk Douglas

Nelson Mandela

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Ozzy Osbourne

Courtney Love

Yes/No? on each

Hopefully only two will make the starting tape.

If you think they are good they are good. Why should my opinion be worth more than yours. I am not their Doctor!

Now that Rochus Misch has passed away, I've managed to predict 6 deaths so far this year. 30 points is not so bad for a newcomer, right?

It is a pretty good debut. And looking at your list realistically you might even hit double digit hits since Nov-Dec are particularly strong months for geriatrics to wither.

Thanks. Speaking of "wither", if Jane Withers dies this year, then I will have 18 points for her alone! She's my joker and a unique pick.

Theme 2 - German language writers

Team Name: Falling like the wall

Joker (Pick 1): Isle Aichinger

Pick 2: Wolf Biermann

Pick 3: Volker Braun

Pick 4: Tankred Dorst

Pick 5: Hans Magnus Enzensberger

Pick 6: Christiane F

Pick 7: Gunther Grass

Pick 8: Jutta Heinrich

Pick 9: Walter Jens

Pick 10: Judith Kerr

Pick 11: Sarah Kirsch

Pick 12: Siegfried Lenz

Pick 13: erich Loest

Pick 14: Monika Maron

Pick 15: Ingrid noll

Pick 16: Erica Pendretti

Pick 17: Marcel Reich ranicki

Pick 18: Ruth Rehmann

Pick 19: Alice Schwarzer

Pick 20: Martin Walser

Erich Loest has self-defenestrated to give you a unique success, unless he ends up on the List of the Loest.

• Like 2

I've long been convinced that DDP pick for the last 6 years or so, Trudiee (name deliberately misspelt) (NHS TV ad cancer patient) Endersby is no longer with us, but obviously the family have kept it private that she died. Well, it took some digging and date of death (September 6th but what year? If I had to guess, I'd say 2008) is unclear but by searching on her "profile" on Facebook and by checking the news reports - she had two daughters. One of them has since married and in their profile recently, they put this (link is here - https://www.facebook...ion=friends_tab)

PS I do appreciate that this is either/or/all creepy, excellent research, obsessive, nosy and crossing the line etc. But I do also think that it's time this lady stops getting picked on a dead pool when she's already dead and let her rest in peace.

K B

September 6 near Orwell via mobile

Well as my Mum used to say, that's another job jobbled x

Share <p>

MH she said you did REALLY well, so sorry to hear about your Mum, hope you're doing ok xxxxxx

What is there that suggests that they're talking about an anniversary? Sounds like a funeral to me, references to music, readings ....

If she had died recently, I think they wouldve both mentioned something on Facebook but they didnt. But reading it back, I grant you that it seems more like a recent passing.

So was Sept the lowest amount of hits in a month for the DDP in years?

Former DDP pick H.E. De Wardener has died - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10361740/Professor-Hugh-de-Wardener.html

Blackie, whilst checking if HEDW had been picked this year (which he wasn't), I noticed the latest update but it doesn't mention Peter Broadbent (died 1st October, picked by two teams), who got an obituary from the BBC.

Former DDP pick H.E. De Wardener has died - http://www.telegraph...e-Wardener.html

Blackie, whilst checking if HEDW had been picked this year (which he wasn't), I noticed the latest update but it doesn't mention Peter Broadbent (died 1st October, picked by two teams), who got an obituary from the BBC.

He has been picked. He's between Justine de Villeneuve and John Deacon...

:party: Sitting on 97 points after Chopper's death

I could still see a non top 10 finish without any other hits the rest of 2013 as the competition is really at it's toughest this year.