Grim Reaper

Gough Whitlam

Hey, is it true that Gough Whitlam was in an Australian movie in 1937? Does anyone have the footage? :)

Hey, is it true that Gough Whitlam was in an Australian movie in 1937? Does anyone have the footage? :)

According to his wiki page, the movie was called "The Broken Melody"

Guest Guest

hurry up and die! no hits for 2 months.deathlist is dying again!

Oh do fuck off.

Oh do fuck off.

If he came up to you and you punched him in the face, he'd probably just pick himself up, walk over again with a broken, bloodied nose and go "hey, great punch!"

Oh do fuck off.

If he came up to you and you punched him in the face, he'd probably just pick himself up, walk over again with a broken, bloodied nose and go "hey, great punch!"

No, no, no. If he came up to me and I punched him in the face, he would not get up again, of that you can be sure.

• Like 3

I have this weird thing that goes on in my head. Certain things/name/objects cause me to link words to them, even phrases/mental pictures.

Gough Whitlam is an excellent example. I cannot see or hear his name without thinking of that "Morning lump of phlegm" smokers sometimes cough up when they have brushed their teeth.

Why?!

That's disgusting but good.

Well, I'll be damned! I had never heard that piece of trivia before.

Well, I'll be damned! I had never heard that piece of trivia before.

IMDB lists it as The Vagabond Violinist The Broken Melody (original title). He played 'Man in Nightclub'.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

Happy 97th birthday to Gough !

Could it be his  last though?

Happy 97th birthday to Gough !

Could it be his last though?

Yes, it will definitely be his last 97th birthday!

• Like 4

I was surprised to see him make 96, let alone 97. Goes to show how odds-defying them world leaders can be.

I must admit this is someone who I am only aware of from discussions on this forum.

Was he well liked down under?

He was the only PM to ever be sacked... He was before my time but he was a polarising figure. The majority opinion seems to be he had a lot of extremely good ideas that he tried to implement too quickly and his inept ministers bungled most of them.

On the other hand, there is a persistent rumour, reinstated most recently by the likes of John Pilger and Jean Bricmont, that the CIA played a part in the sacking of the Whitlam government as he was too anti-US for their liking... :(

Then again, maybe not: http://www.theage.co...0409-2hjjt.html

Guest Guest

Maybe the news of Tony Abbots election victory will finish him off.He's not going to live long enough to see Labour back in power anyway

Maybe the news of Tony Abbots election victory will finish him off.He's not going to live long enough to see Labour back in power anyway

Is there no way we can permanently banish this cretin, perhaps track him down and block this site from his computer...or perhaps just kill him

• Like 2

Guest Guest

Is there no way we can permanently banish this cretin, perhaps track him down and block this site from his computer...or perhaps just kill him

are you referring to Tony Abbott or Gough Whitlam? :)

It's against the rules in most dead pools.

• Like 1

It's against the rules in most dead pools.

Mores the pity

Would it be possible for a kindly Mod ( should you exist :) ) to change this fellas name to 'C'ough Whitlam?

Every time I see this fellas name Im having to hold myself back from trying to bring up a fur/phlegm ball.

Its pissing me off.

Help!!!!!

Guest the watcher

Gough Whitlam is the closest to a Clive Dunn we currently have! At least he doesn't sing "Grandpa".

Gough Whitlam is the closest to a Clive Dunn we currently have! At least he doesn't sing "Grandpa".

Neither did Clive Dunn.

• Like 3

First update on Gough in over a year and a half with him issuing a statement on his party. All the health stuff is early in the article.

AT 97 and in the twilight of his life, Gough Whitlam still goes to his office high above William Street in Sydney a few days each week.

His former colleagues visit from time to time. As do his four children - Antony, Nicholas, Stephen and Catherine.

Moving slower these days, and often in a wheelchair, he resides in an aged-care facility in Sydney's east. He has good days and not-so-good days.

Australia's longest-lived former prime minister has not consented to an interview for several years. He is no longer writing. His last public statement was a tribute to his wife of almost 70 years, Margaret, who died last year.

First update on Gough in over a year and a half with him issuing a statement on his party. All the health stuff is early in the article.

AT 97 and in the twilight of his life, Gough Whitlam still goes to his office high above William Street in Sydney a few days each week.

His former colleagues visit from time to time. As do his four children - Antony, Nicholas, Stephen and Catherine.

Moving slower these days, and often in a wheelchair, he resides in an aged-care facility in Sydney's east. He has good days and not-so-good days.

Australia's longest-lived former prime minister has not consented to an interview for several years. He is no longer writing. His last public statement was a tribute to his wife of almost 70 years, Margaret, who died last year.

It was very thoughtful of them to provide a health update when the committee is busy pondering who should go on the 2014 list.

It was very thoughtful of them to provide a health update when the committee is busy pondering who should go on the 2014 list.

Well before I began frequenting this site I had no idea who he was so his inclusion in the list should raise his public profile. There is no such thing as bad publicity unless of course you are Ian Watkins.

Guest Guest

97 is very fucking old.